Audad Sheep Hunt -Desert Safaris texas - Sketchy Situation

For anyone considering an aoudad hunt, I have two suggestions: Book it now because prices won't go down, and consider going with Mike McKinney at West Texas Hunt Organization (westtexashunt.com).

Mike runs a solid operation and employs quality guides like Casey Sanford, who I've hunted with 4 times. This is Casey with a stud ram he guided me to a few years back. Even at the current price, aoudad hunts are one of the best values in the hunting world.
I will second Mike McKinney at Weat Texas Hunt Org. I used him on my aoudad hunt. Zero complaints. He came highly highly recommended, and I wouldn’t recommend. anyone look else where. Probably one of the best outfitters for Aoudad IMO. Texas Hunting Forum.com can support those claims.

j_volt

WKR
This sucks this all happened. Fortunately for others, they will see this review when they Google this guy. Good on you for that.

Question though… why didn’t you go on the hunt? I assume 4 grand was a sizable amount of the total balance. I agree the hunt doesn’t sound promising, but your 4 grand is on fire now. I have been on 4 guided hunts, and generally speaking, the communication was subpar every time. All but one was a quality experience once I was there, though.

DSchliep

FNG
That is horrible! I went on 3 guided elk hunts, 1 in Mt and 2 in N.M. The N.M. hunts were with the same outfitter- phenomenal communication, great guide that grew up there, beautiful lodge and accommodations. The Mt outfitter also communicated every step of the way and worked his ass of to get us on elk.

OP
SteveSacs

SteveSacs

FNG
This sucks this all happened. Fortunately for others, they will see this review when they Google this guy. Good on you for that.

Question though… why didn’t you go on the hunt? I assume 4 grand was a sizable amount of the total balance. I agree the hunt doesn’t sound promising, but your 4 grand is on fire now. I have been on 4 guided hunts, and generally speaking, the communication was subpar every time. All but one was a quality experience once I was there, though.
It wasnt just that the communication was terrible. i get it, hunting guides are in the field all the time and arent always accessible.

When a random person called me on behalf of the outfitter and told me the guys mother was in hospice and that he had been difficult to get a hold of as of late, I started getting anxious. “I’ll try and see whats going on and call you back” and not hearing from him ever again, wasnt all that inspiring.

That, along with the fact that he changed guides on me 3x , sent me a camping gear list which I spent over $1k on and apparently didn't need because he changed the plan … and most importantly wouldn't send me the directions of a ranch that had no address 5 days from when I was supposed to leave after 2-3 weeks of asking… i decided it was probably better to walk away and attempt to get my $$ back then deal with whatever other shit show was ahead of me.

Loco4dux

WKR
OP, thanks for the write up. They’re now added to the no fly list for future hunts. Some bad folks out there. Sorry this happened to ya.

TXCO

WKR
Thanks for sharing. Sorry for such a crappy situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk