Atv repair/emergency kits?

USMCret

FNG
I just got my new first ATV Polaris 6 x 6. Just wondering what everybody is carrying with them for a repair/emergency kit. Tools, winch accessories, tire ETC...

i carried tire plugs and a hand pump and had a winch on my sportsman 500. i think it used a belt so i carried an extra belt too.

11boo

WKR
Plugs, pump as mentioned. Know how to use them.

i also take a good first aid kit, tow/tree strap for the winch. Small come along. Socket set, channel locks, zip ties. A small shovel now that I had to dig out of the snow with my tote lid. Fire extinguisher mounted to the cage.

D8264BBF-CFC5-40CA-8149-B5EC45DDDB97.jpeg

Kiwi1

FNG
Spare gas can mounted to the front for peace of mind on long trips; pieces of wire cut at 4" as emergency ties; Tyvek or gorilla tape

BuzzH

WKR
All the things listed are good, and a tube of some kind of monkey shit (steel stik or the like) to fix holes in gas tanks, crank cases, etc.

I spend some time in the desert of SW Idaho and Nevada. Learned the hard way that a land anchor system with a winch could save a lot of headache. I now carry a power puller come-along and three 48" concrete stakes. If there are no trees around and you get stuck shit can go south in a hurry when you are a long way from the truck...

fmyth

WKR
I carry 2 small pelican cases, one full of tools and one full of bolts, nuts, zip ties, spare ball joint, spare belt, spare spark plug, jb weld, alumiseal, tire plugs, small can of wd40, assorted hose clamps, rubber hose, flex tape, fiber fix, 14g wire, bag of crimp connectors, stainless wire, etc. Last year my hunting partner and I were 8 miles from camp down a seldom used one way road when my Yamaha Rhino died driving back after dark in the pouring rain. I changed the fuel filter, cranked it a bit and noticed the filter didn't fill w fuel and determined it was the fuel pump. Fortunately I had a spare in the glove box. 15 min later we were driving back to camp. You can't carry too many tools or spare parts in the backcountry. We could have hiked out but it would have been a very long miserable night and would have cost us at least a half day of hunting. If yours if belt driven change the belt now at home. Make a list of all of the tools necessary and put them in a bag, with the existing belt. If you break a belt while miles from camp you'll know how to change it and have all the right tools with you.

BluMtn

WKR
If its a Polaris the cell phone number of somebody that can come rescue you when it breaks down ( Not an if either, because it will) :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. That joke has been floated around for a long time. Nothing personal.

fmyth

WKR
If its a Polaris the cell phone number of somebody that can come rescue you when it breaks down ( Not an if either, because it will) :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. That joke has been floated around for a long time. Nothing personal.
8,400 miles on my 2013 Polaris RZR and it has never broken down. I've only replaced one belt at 3,500 miles and it still measured within factory tolerances. I do change the oil, diff oil and air filter every year.

BluMtn

WKR
I will say that you have had very good luck. There are no bad brands anymore. There are a few that can use some better engineering and quality control, but if it fits your expectations, go for that brand and model.

WCB

WKR
tire plug kit, Pump of some sort, extra spark plugs, big zip ties, a couple ratchet straps, length of good rope, flex tape.

If you have a winch on your machine some extra straps and a couple snatch blocks> I would also carry an extra hook for your winch and tools to connect it to the cable. Also, the basic tools you need to fix/change anything you know how to do yourself on the machine. maybe a small socket kit with selected sockets to fit the major fittings on the machine.

EXTRA EXTRA FUSES, extra gas for longer trips, a spare tire. In certain situations I would rather change a tire out than try to find the leak/hole(s). I would bet 90% of ATV/UTV users don't even have an spare tire on rim ready to go with them let alone even at home.