Attack of the Moths!

treillw

WKR
Don't know what is going on this year, but there are tons of moths around. I sucked up about 20 of them with the shop vac this morning that were outside the windows. The little buggers are crawling through the crack around the window screen and coming inside the house. I probably vacuum up 10 a day inside the house.

Any body else having a similar experience this year?

Best way to kill them outside the house? Bug zapper?

Best way to kill them inside the house?

I'm worried they are going to eat my hunting gear. 😖

Thanks!

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Probably not that type of moth. They are probably just looking for crevasse to sleep in by it tree bark, rock or house siding.

jags

FNG
Black moths, they have been terrible this year. Keep the lights off the best you can at dusk than go to work inside with the dust buster.....better then smashing them against the wall with a swatter. Hopefully their migration ends soon.

manitou1

WKR
Miller moths are a plague here in my location in WY. They will clog up a large bug zapper in minutes. We must be in their migration corridor. For about 6-8 weeks a year we get tens of thousands, under our soffit, in our plants in our garages/shop and yes, they find their way into the house. So many squeeze under the soffitt and bottom of siding that it vibrates when you walk by. They poop bright orange spots the size of a BB and it is difficult to get off everything.
Of the things I dislike about WY, the moths are #1. Wind runs second.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Miller moths are a plague here in my location in WY. They will clog up a large bug zapper in minutes. We must be in their migration corridor. For about 6-8 weeks a year we get tens of thousands, under our soffit, in our plants in our garages/shop and yes, they find their way into the house. So many squeeze under the soffitt and bottom of siding that it vibrates when you walk by. They poop bright orange spots the size of a BB and it is difficult to get off everything.
Of the things I dislike about WY, the moths are #1. Wind runs second.
Do they have an appetite for Sitka, Stone Glacier, and other hunting apparel? haha They may not be the variety that likes to eat clothes?

If they don't lay eggs in the house (which sounds like it's not an issue) or eat my stuff, I can deal with them.

Mt Al

WKR
We have newer windows, so not as bad as before but they must have been breeding like rats, lots of them around. We use a small shop vac, go on Moth Patrol early evening, strategically turn on lights in places where they're not such a PIA, but they're still a PIA. Glad I'm not alone in the struggle.

CoStick

WKR
We have had our house sprayed for wasps and it apparently works in the miller moths, last 2 years we have seen very few compared to tons of them previously

def90

WKR
In Colorado we get tye Mikler moth infestations, some years are worse than others back in 2001 I was renting a house where I would crank open the window in the morning and hundreds of them would fall out to the ground as they would all wedge themselves up in between the window and the frame at night

jags

FNG
We have newer windows, so not as bad as before but they must have been breeding like rats, lots of them around. We use a small shop vac, go on Moth Patrol early evening, strategically turn on lights in places where they're not such a PIA, but they're still a PIA. Glad I'm not alone in the struggle.
If you don't have a cat or dog in the house, a shop light clipped to a 5 gal bucket of soapy water collects them nicely throughout the night. I use this in the garage and will have 50-70 or so every morning. There is just no freaking end to them though.....

If you don't have a cat or dog in the house, a shop light clipped to a 5 gal bucket of soapy water collects them nicely throughout the night. I use this in the garage and will have 50-70 or so every morning. There is just no freaking end to them though.....
😀😀. Just make sure you don’t drop the shop light in the bucket of soapy water. Soap is an electrolyte. If you do use this rig, make sure it’s plugged into a GFI. Accidentally spill some soapy water on the concrete floor, maybe a little ground leak in the shop light, and you’re getting the living shit knocked out of you. 26 years as a commercial electrician.

I probably vacuum up 10 a day inside the house.
Best way to kill them inside the house?
Thanks!
10 a day? you don't know what a miller problem is.....

A bowl of dishwater all suds'ed-up with led light hung above it, cotches lots of them in the house. Here is one nights bowl full. Only one nigh,t of over a month of that many.....

IMG_0886.JPG

manitou1

WKR
Do they have an appetite for Sitka, Stone Glacier, and other hunting apparel? haha They may not be the variety that likes to eat clothes?

If they don't lay eggs in the house (which sounds like it's not an issue) or eat my stuff, I can deal with them.
Nope, they don't eat cloth. But I have to sweep them out of the shop and garages daily... sometimes hundreds per day, and the get everywhere. Behind and on shop shelves, tooling, benches, tool cabinets, behind and under deep freezers, etc. Hate 'em.

This year has been the worst we have seen in a long time. They are everywhere. All over the shop windows, floors, wedged into screens on house windows etc.

10 a day? you don't know what a miller problem is.....

A bowl of dishwater all suds'ed-up with led light hung above it, cotches lots of them in the house. Here is one nights bowl full. Only one nigh,t of over a month of that many.....

IMG_0886.JPG
wow

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, I set up five gallon buckets with dish soap water in the garage and shop with lights hanging over them. Would have several hundred in each bucket by morning, and another several hundred all over the shop... every single day.
Those boogers can squeeze through the smallest openings.

Phaseolus

WKR

Army Cutworms are plant feeders