Athlon Cronus G2 Spotter vs Kowa 773

Huntin_GI

WKR
The new Athlon spotter looks intriguing as before its overhaul, it was punching way above its price class.
With the overhaul, they went to a barrell focus from a daul ring focus which was praised. Anyone got there hands on the new Athlon 86mm and if so, how is it stacking up against the Kowa 773?

At this point I am between these two but am looking for someone who has hands on time with the new Athlon.

RussDXT

WKR
I got a g2 as a replacement for the g1 Cronus. It seems decent, though not thrilled that the eyepiece isn’t removable.

If you find yourself in sw Denver message me and your welcome to look through mine. I am right up against the hog back so decent glassing for Denver.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I got a g2 as a replacement for the g1 Cronus. It seems decent, though not thrilled that the eyepiece isn’t removable.

If you find yourself in sw Denver message me and your welcome to look through mine. I am right up against the hog back so decent glassing for Denver.
Same optical quality as the G1?

BowHiking

FNG
Jumping in as I am curious what people have to say about the new Athlon Cronus G2 as well. The Kowa 773 is out of budget for me, but have been comparing/debating the Athlon Cronus G2 20-60X86 VS picking up a used Gen 2 Vortex Razor 27-60X 85.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
The Backcountry Pursuit rated the Athlon above the `
Jumping in as I am curious what people have to say about the new Athlon Cronus G2 as well. The Kowa 773 is out of budget for me, but have been comparing/debating the Athlon Cronus G2 20-60X86 VS picking up a used Gen 2 Vortex Razor 27-60X 85.
I think the Athlon Scored higher in the Backcountry Pursuit Test but I am not 100% positive. Now that was the G1. I called and talked with the guys at Athlon and while there were a few design changes, mainly the barrel focus, optically, there testing indicates it a slim improvement on the G1. Notably, the eye relief is now 20mm which is some of the most forgiving of any spotters on the market.

Tullis94

WKR

I think the Athlon Scored higher in the Backcountry Pursuit Test but I am not 100% positive. Now that was the G1. I called and talked with the guys at Athlon and while there were a few design changes, mainly the barrel focus, optically, there testing indicates it a slim improvement on the G1. Notably, the eye relief is now 20mm which is some of the most forgiving of any spotters on the market.
In their testing the 773 was 2 spots higher than the Athlon Cronus. Maybe the update levels the field a little but the Cronus is quite a bit bigger scope.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
In their testing the 773 was 2 spots higher than the Athlon Cronus. Maybe the update levels the field a little but the Cronus is quite a bit bigger scope.
Yes I was meaning to reply to the Razor HD 85. I don't doubt the 773 is nicer. But with the current pricing on the Athlon and @gr8fuldoug indicating price could increase by the summer its hard to ignore.

I would be curious to see the Cronus 86mm compared to say ATS 65. 20 mils is alot of forward facing glass and that glass should gobble up more light but Swarovski does perform some type of magic before their optics leave the factory so it would be an interesting comparison.

Tullis94

WKR
Yes I was meaning to reply to the Razor HD 85. I don't doubt the 773 is nicer. But with the current pricing on the Athlon and @gr8fuldoug indicating price could increase by the summer its hard to ignore.

I would be curious to see the Cronus 86mm compared to say ATS 65. 20 mils is alot of forward facing glass and that glass should gobble up more light but Swarovski does perform some type of magic before their optics leave the factory so it would be an interesting comparison.
Oh I see. I misunderstood. I think the cronus line from Athlon is probably the best value in the optics world right now.

BowHiking

FNG

Yeah they were quite complimentary of the G1 I had not heard of Athlon previously. The G2 seems like a steal at $1000 for what it potentially offers, just would like to see/hear more reviews on it. Aside from the Backcountry review not much on the G1 either...

There are 2x Meopta Meostar S2 spotters currently in the Rokslide classifieds - each for under $2k (a steal). Even though I like Athlon, I have zero doubt the MeoStar will noticeably outperform the Cronus G2.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
There are 2x Meopta Meostar S2 spotters currently in the Rokslide classifieds - each for under $2k (a steal). Even though I like Athlon, I have zero doubt the MeoStar will noticeably outperform the Cronus G2.
Kicker being, a new Athlon Cronus can be had under $1K right now. Are they twice as good as the Cronus? Don't get me wrong, I understand buying quality glass. I just think if you can hit 90% of the viewing experience at less than thalf the price point, its worth considering.

I went ahead an ordered the Cronus. Figure someone needs to be the Guinea Pig.

fmyth

WKR
In talking to one of the Athlon guys a few days ago, apparently theres 6 more lenses in the Cronus than the Ares.
I have Athlon Ares binos and am very pleased with them. Right now my spotter is a Vortex Razor 65mm. When the Athlon Ares spotter arrives I'll compare it to my Razor and if I don't like it I'll return it and order the Cronus.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
I have Athlon Ares binos and am very pleased with them. Right now my spotter is a Vortex Razor 65mm. When the Athlon Ares spotter arrives I'll compare it to my Razor and if I don't like it I'll return it and order the Cronus.
I am intrested to hear your opinion between the Razor and Ares. I have a few hunts behind a Razor and wasn't blown away.

Buzby

WKR
Kicker being, a new Athlon Cronus can be had under $1K right now. Are they twice as good as the Cronus? Don't get me wrong, I understand buying quality glass. I just think if you can hit 90% of the viewing experience at less than thalf the price point, it’s worth considering.
The Athlon is made in China, so it’s not really a level playing field when comparing value to European made optics.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
The Athlon is made in China, so it’s not really a level playing field when comparing value to European made optics.
While I believe that is true for most of their offerings, I THINK the Cronus Spotter and Cronus BTR is manufactured in Japan. Ill check when I get home.

OP
Huntin_GI

Huntin_GI

WKR
Well you sir are correct. Apparently it is ONLY the Cronus BTR that is manufactured in Japan.