WKR
Classified Approved
Optical comparison of
  • Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42
  • Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44
  • Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44
  • Bushnell LRHS2 4.5-18x44
  • Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18x44
I also had a mk4 12-40 spotting scope and an SWFA 10x42 on hand that I included as a reference

1721261966975.jpeg

1721261921678.jpeg

I used this resolution chart:
1721262995611.png

Scoring was done like so:
1721263006255.png

RESOLUTION
I have to admit this was hard to finish. All optics were so close to one another you would probably never notice in a hunting environment. Parallax and the eyepiece were adjusted several times on each scope to get every ounce of clarity. I have 20/20 vision or better
1721263054861.png
*The 0.1 element on the chart was accidentally cropped out when printing. Anything that could not quite resolve 0.2 was given a score of 0.1

EYEBOX
This was done at max magnification. At anything below 12x I would consider all the optics Excellent. The Tenmile was noticeably tighter than the ATACR and Maven. But any two optics ranked next to one another were very hard to tell apart
1721263991493.png

HOW "NICE" IS THE IMAGE?
I used chromatic aberration to rank this because it was the easiest feature to pick up with my eyes to compare. This was done at max mag. At anything below 9x, the image is very sharp and clear with no real optical deficiencies.
1721264045417.png

Other notes and background:
I had the LRHS2, Maven, and Tenmile on hand and needed to pick two, so I already had intentions of comparing them. The ATACR is owned by a friend, and MK5 by a brother - both within a few minutes drive. So I added those two to the mix out of curiosity. My history with each optic is:

• ATACR I used to own the same model and hunted one season with it before selling
  • MK5HD I used to own this exact scope and hunted one season before selling
  • Tenmile I picked up last November and have not hunted with it. Few hundred rounds of target and competition shooting with it
  • LRHS2 and Maven were recently acquired. ~20 rounds fired with the LRHS2 and 0 rounds with the Maven.

Last edited:
OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Interested in your opinion of LRHS2 vs maven. Those are pretty much the only scopes on my radar for next purchase.
Well... of the Tenmile, LRHS2, and Maven--I got rid of the Tenmile.

LRHS2 is extremely sharp. If there was a 3-12 version, I likely would have purchased one instead of the Maven.

A large reason why I got the Maven instead of another identical LRHS2 was because I wanted one of the guns to have a minimum magnification at/under 3x. Plus, I could sell the Maven in a second if I was disappointed.

But as it stands, they are a coin flip. Get whichever is cheaper IMO.
After some use I may start to like one more than the other

Last edited:

texag10

WKR
Thanks for putting this together. Very well put together.
Agreed, thank you very much for taking the time to perform this comparison and post your conclusions.

Now.....given that we're on rokslide, it's time to start dropping rifles....
8811249502b3d09954ede32df3e098abd29cbc08.gifv

Good comparison. I’ve used the LRHS and maven quite a bit, looked through a tenmile and I’d agree with what you have there. Except I feel like the LRHS has a better eyebox than the maven.

If bushnell could back up their warranty of them I’d not have switched to maven.

OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Except I feel like the LRHS has a better eyebox than the maven.
I don't really disagree here... They are so close. If I did the comparison 5 times, I would probably rank those "top three eyeboxes" different each time. But at the time I did the comparison, I wrote down on the paper that the Maven was a little better. So I'll leave the "finding" as is unless I change my mind after using them more

Ultimately I want people to know that between the ATACR, Maven, and LRHS2 I would never choose one over the other because of eyebox.... They were all comfortable to get behind

OP
S

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Parallax knob:
Maven and Tenmile are stiffer, the others are great

Magnification ring:
All of them were fine. The maven just lacks a throw lever. ATACR's whole eyepiece turns which is lame

Turrets:
ATACR is the gold standard if tactility is your thing. Maven really tactile. Mk5 pretty tactile. LRHS2 a little mushy. Tenmile is mushy.

I'm not really a turret snob. The only one I don't like is the LRHS2, and it is because it is splined to sit squarely in the middle of two lines... not on a line. And there is just enough backlash that you don't know what exact click you might be on if you aren't the owner