Astonishing warranty response by AKU

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Gonna say that boot is likely not #clifftested.

Mods I gotta applaud the push back, good on you.

Seems weird they would offer a refund but not replacement. Why not just get the refund and buy another pair?
Maybe they don’t want him as a customer anymore? I wouldn’t.

It’s amazing to me the OP got a full refund and still has to go to the interwebz to complain about how he was wronged.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As an FFL Type 07/Title 02 firearms manufacturer for 20 years I understand fit, finish, customer expectations, and customer satisfaction. The right boot should've never been boxed. When AKU got it back the correct response would've been to fix it in any of several ways. Playing word games and blaming me, the guy who laid out his money, isn't one of them.

Show me the brand new rifle you just bought that came from the manufacturer with barely visible hairline fractures in the wrist or with splinters sticking out of the wood stock near the action, and tell me you'll keep it without complaint.
You are being the person who buys a brand new factory rifle, notices the trigger brakes at 2.6 pounds and not 2.5, and thinks the company owes you a new gun claiming the rifle is unsafe to use as the trigger is very important to safety and it never should have left the factory like that as the seer might be messed up.

That is the correct comparison.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I've been a boot affictionado for 40 years. Ski boots. Cowboy boots. Dress boots. Heavy duty backpacking boots. Motorcycle racing boots (Sidi all the way). I recognize quality and what's not quality. I understand fit for each boot type and if it fits my foot well, not well, or in between.

For the past two years I've eyed AKU's Pilgrim line. Three weeks ago I bought their Pilgrim TS GTX. AKU advertises this as an extremely breathable but sturdy hot weather boot specifically designed for Special Forces members. They claim it's jumpable and has special midsoles to resist heat while fast roping. They claim the ankles are padded for fast roping protection. Every review of this Pilgrim model (there are several models, differing only in midsole, ankle lace hook vs loop, toe cap stitching) was 4 or 5 star.

For the record I am not SF and these boots will not be used in military service. They would've been used in summer backpacking trips on and off trail in New England's White and Green mountains.

The boots arrived on time. I was astonished and disappointed to see two loose thread ends protruding out of the right toe cap. One thread end is plainly visible. The other takes a bit of close up looking to see, but it's there, as the pic shows.

However, as you can see, the toe cap stitching is hidden. It's supposed to be. Here's why. An online review noted the earlier Pilgrim TS toe cap threads were coming undone. AKU went to hidden threads to resolve the issue.

The toe cap top area flexes more than any other part of the boot. It's imperative that all stitching be 110% fast, tight, and secure. There should be no worry or no evidence of loose thread ends or loose threads.

That two thread ends were sticking in my face made me question if the underlying threads themselves were loose and/or if the threads weren't properly tied off after the last stitch. Will the thread/thread ends further unravel under hard use, I wondered? Will they swell and come undone if they get wet? Why didn't AKU rectify this on the factory floor?

My conclusion? This right boot should've never been put in the box. It should've been fixed first or put asided and marked for rework.

Here's Where It Gets Interesting

Two days later I returned the boots per AKU site instructions. My online return included pics of the protruding threads. I asked for an even exchange, not a refund.

Got an email from USA service manager Adam Harmon a week later. His email was so full of BS I thought he was a member of Congress. He said the loose threads were no concern and didn't affect functionality of the boot. He added the boots were "hand made" and that some irregularities were to be expected. He said the boots wouldn't be exchanged. My choices, he said, were get the same boots back or take a refund.

I was astonished! The boot should've never been boxed or sold! Even so, all this guy had to do was find another right boot! But NO! He was twisting the AKU warranty like US Rep Adam Schiff (D-CA) mischaracterized and lied about Trump during the Democrat's 21's impeachment effort!

My response to Adam said:

1. The toe cap flexes more than any other area of the boot. All stitching must be tight with thread ends properly and securely tied off. No loose thread ends should be protruding, where they risk being further loosened or pulled.

2. He (Adam) has no idea to what use I'll put the boots; how hard I'll push them. He doesn't know if the entire thread(s) are loose under the toe cap, or just the thread end is protruding. He can't say if the toe cap will or won't come undone 25 miles or 25 minutes into my purpose. He can't say if the rest of the boot has further, hidden problems.

3. AKU advertises these boots as specifically made for Special Forces. AKU claims the boots are both jumpable and specially reinforced in sole and ankle for fast roping. These are spectacular claims that deserve a spectacular warranty. Refusing to warranty a boot specifically targeted to the most elite warfighters on earth is the epitome of arrogance and false advertising.

4. AKU videos show boots being stitched by machine, not hand. While hands are holding boots to the stitching machine, no one is pushing a needle and thread through the boots to sew them. In short, AKU boots are "hand made" to the same extent Zamberlan, Hanwag, and other EU boots are made; none of them are "hand stitched".

5. "Irregularities" would be crooked seams, unequal stitch lengths, etc. Two loose thread ends sticking out, in-your-face, are bad workmanship and poor quality control.

6. AKU allows refunds and exchanges for "cosmetic" purposes. A loose thread end visible from 20 feet away on $350 boots isn't a cosmetic PITA I don't know what is. I realize $350 isn't high pricing in the boot world. But no one wants to spend $350 and have bright white loose thread ends visible from 20 feet away.

I closed my email by requesting Adam to escalate my exchange request to his manager. I sent the same email to AKU in Canada and Italy. AKU Canada and Italy haven't yet responded. Adam "Schiff" Harmon did. Adam said he was sorry the boots didn't fit my needs and hoped I could find a boot maker that could meet my standards!

He explained that he and his 'staff' kicked around my return request and my subsequent email and they decided to refund my purchase! That means he and the rectums he talked with didn't have the integrity and character to stand behind their product; to find another pair of boots, or find just another right boot without protruding threads, ship the 'new' boots to me!

Amazing! This guy sold me boots with bad quality control and maybe bad workmanship in one of the most critical areas of the boot, the toe-flex area. When I asked for a replacement, not a refund, he says there's nothing wrong with loose threads sticking out from the most flexed area, and that I'm too picky! This is an astonishing response to an email that's full of facts from your own website regarding your own claims.

Refusing to honor your own warranty after advertising your boots as top of the line kit for SF warfighters shows an appaling lack of integrity and concern for the very faction that makes your business thrive; the customer.

While most manufacturers reserve discretion in warranty claims, this right boot should've never been boxed at the factory. Any manager and any company with any sense of fairness and honesty would've simply shipped another pair of boots. The customer would've been satisfied and the company would've still had the customer's money. Instead, AKU played games with the definition of "hand made", "functionality", and "warranty".

Caveat emptor.

I placed items 1-5 above on the AKU site as my review, with pics. I'll be surprised if AKU allows the review to go public on their website.
You got fired as a customer. I can’t necessarily say I blame them.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t read all of the responses. I’m sorry but you’re in the wrong. Your expectations were out of line and the company handled it appropriately. Please use this feedback and apply it to other parts of your life you are undoubtably miserable about. Don’t waste any more of your life trying to explain yourself/rationalize your behavior and learn from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.