Asolo Fugitive GTX vs. Salomon Quest 4d GTX

I tried both of these on tonight and both felt good. I had a 13 wide on in the Asolo and a 14 in the Salomon because they didn't have any wides. The 14 was still just a bit narrow in the forefoot. How do they compare on holding their waterproofness. I have never really trusted or relied on goretex to keep me dry. My experience is they will leak within a year. I have tried for a long time to find a leather pair of boots with or without goretex so I can keep my feet dry for at least a few years. The really high end stiff boots don't fit my feet at all and I don't feel like spending $400 on a boot that hurts my feet and hope they will break in after 50 miles. Any other suggestions are welcome. I have also tried a Lowa Baffin Pro LL and liked it but they only had a 12 wide and I need a 13. Lowa Renegades fit but I don't like the looks of a seam on the outside of the lower foot right where my pinky toe knuckle is where it joins my foot. And the Asolo and Salomon are more comfortable. I will probably try them on with a green superfeet insole the next time and get whichever is more comfortable and fits better unless a comment here convinces me otherwise. Thanks

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the Asolo fugitives all year. No leaks and the goretex has held up so far and I've had them in every sort of weather & terrain you can put boots in. I have no experience with the Salomon though. I might try them this year though.

Last edited:

Ironman8

WKR
I've had my Fugitives for 2.5 years so far and they just seem to get better with time. Last I checked, they were still keeping my feet dry too. I've also had them in just about every weather/terrain (except for snow maybe), and they've held up great. The only thing I can think of that I wish were different is a slightly softer sole. On certain surfaces (wet rocks/logs/ect), the sole can be slightly slippery due to the hardness...although I can't say I can attribute a fall to the harder sole.

Also keep in mind, I live in TX so I don't get to use and abuse them year round like alot of you guys do. But I can say that these breathe pretty well even in TX heat, for a GTX boot.

Everything I hear about the Salomons are that they're a great boot as well. No personal experience with them though.

Last edited:

Slim Jim

WKR
I have had the Solomons for about 4 months now. They seem to be pretty good so for except that my feet ache after a long hike. No hot spots and great support but for some reason my feet just feel fatigued. I even have orange superfeet insoles.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the Quests as my everyday work boot for the last two years and the Cosmics as my hunting boot for the last two. Both have worked great. I am just now starting to get separation near the front rubber rand on one of the Cosmics. I will still run the Salomons in 2014 for hunting and working.

blackah02

FNG
I owned the Quest 4D and archery hunted in them for 1 season. Initially, I thought they were very comfortable out of the box but after hunting with a backpack on, it became apparent that these are not meant for backpacking as my feet ached after a few miles. They were also slightly narrow in the forefoot and the outer edge of my left foot hurt. I have medium-boarderline wide feet. The stock insoles suck and wear down fast. I tried green superfeet in the 4D, but this is the only boot that I could not improve by using superfeet. It seems the Quest 4D already has a built in arch support into the footbed and the superfeet made the arch too great and also hurt under the arch of my feet. I would recommend any Asolo over the Salomon, but beware the Asolos can run narrow, so you may want a wide. I will say the Salomons were waterproof and held up well, just not meant for hunting with a pack over 20 pounds and I think you can get more boot from brands like Lowa and Asolo in that price range.

blackah02

FNG
The Salomons are like an athletic shoe with a high cut ankle and would be more suited for day hikes or as an around the town winter boot.

Last edited:
OP
doverpack12
The Asolo I had on was a wide and felt like it fit my wide foot well without causing pressure.

digger

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the Asolo fugitives every day of the year.i love em.I always buy them from Sierra Trading post and keep a new pair
in the closet at all times.I just order them when they send out one of there special free shipping and extra 25% off.
They fit great and you can nearly steal em at STP.

OP
doverpack12
The Asolo Fugitives are out tried them again tonight and noticed my foot extends beyond the sole about 1/8" maybe a hair more and I'm worried they will wear out quickly in that area and also make my foot sore where my pinky toe joins my foot. Any other suggestions are welcome. I like the looks of the Lowa Cevedale Tech-Lite hunters that Aron posted a video on.