Asking for Closed Road Access

wapitibob

WKR
Its over 9 miles to this spot; a little further than your example. And in this spot the chances of someone backpacking in or taking horses when all thats open is bear is nearly zero. Not to mention that even if someone hiked a couple miles in, driving in past them won’t spook anything considering all the trucks going up and down from March into October. Much different from your experience.

If it's out west, likely closed for animals or similar. I doubt the project guy is the one who closed it, and his company access is conditional as stated earlier. Probably a coop deal between agencies.
Ride your bike, 9 miles is nothing. We do 20 miles in a morning in an Elk unit we hunt here.

OP
D

Deer&Ducks527

If it's out west, likely closed for animals or similar. I doubt the project guy is the one who closed it, and his company access is conditional as stated earlier. Probably a coop deal between agencies.
Ride your bike, 9 miles is nothing. We do 20 miles in a morning in an Elk unit we hunt here.
I don’t have a bike, but I could put my gear on my duck hunting cart and go in that way, but theres some other areas that would be just as good or better without the hassle. I know the company access is conditional and its a coop deal between agencies, just curious if anyone had been in a situation where they weren’t strict about it.

Its over 9 miles to this spot; a little further than your example. And in this spot the chances of someone backpacking in or taking horses when all thats open is bear is nearly zero. Not to mention that even if someone hiked a couple miles in, driving in past them won’t spook anything considering all the trucks going up and down from March into October. Much different from your experience.
Just last fall I killed a very large black bear just under 8 miles from the truck in some rugged terrain where no vehicles are allowed and I had to use pack animals to get it out.

There are some very dedicated bear hunters out there so you are sadly mistaken.

Nobody here is supportive of your idea and for good reasons, so take that for what it's worth.

OP
D

Deer&Ducks527

Just last fall I killed a very large black bear just under 8 miles from the truck in some rugged terrain where no vehicles are allowed and I had to use pack animals to get it out.

There are some very dedicated bear hunters out there so you are sadly mistaken.

Nobody here is supportive of your idea and for good reasons, so take that for what it's worth.
I know there are very dedicated bear hunters but in this spot, its extremely unlikely. This spot is in the SoCal mountains, most dedicated bear hunters would pick a better spot especially if they have pack stock. The harvest data backs this up. In this unit not many bears get harvested and nearly all are harvested during rifle deer season, despite the bear season running much longer. I understand the ethical reasons people bring up, but I am very confident that I wouldn’t run into other hunters in this area. Some people like to jump to conclusions without knowing the details.

schmalzy

WKR
I am interning at a construction company that is doing a project in an area where I would like to hunt black bear. The road is closed to vehicles and the project shuts down around October due to rain. I will only be able to hunt for bear the week of thanksgiving. I would like to ask for a gate key to the closed road, but I don't know the best way to go about asking. Have any of you guys been in a similar situation? A couple options I have thought of are asking either the superintendent of the project or the president of the company. I have talked to the president before, as the interns are given the opportunity to meet with him 1 on 1. Considering that it is a large reservoir project and I am new to the company, I think they probably wouldn't allow it. I would appreciate any suggestions.

I strongly suggest not doing this as an intern, leaves a lot to interpretation or assumption. I’m all about making things happen and leveraging opportunities but this isn’t one of them.

Easy way to unintentionally send the wrong impression to someone that gave you a chance to show your potential.

9 miles ain’t undoable, enjoy the hike and get some credibility with your company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdzoller

WKR
It doesn’t sound like your boss has the authority to grant access for recreational activities. I got keys and combinations for most gates in my state that are on private timber and public lands. They are for work, not recreation. My boss definitely doesn’t have authority to grant me access beyond the scope of work that we do.

If a property representative, game warden or sheriff were to catch me driving in to hunt any of these properties I would be in deep trouble regardless if my employer said it was okay or not.

Many people get away with it until they don’t.

I understand the ethical reasons people bring up, but I am very confident that I wouldn’t run into other hunters in this area.
Folks have also brought up the legal reasons and you seem to gloss over those as well.

Bottom line, it’s poor form to ask to use a work easement for recreation. It probably also violates the terms of the easement.

Instead of shooting down everyone who is telling you it’s not a good idea, go ask if you think it’s okay. I have a mountain of keys and combos at my disposal and would never even consider using them in the manner you are considering.

You do you.

The dude is exhibiting intent. There simply is zero justification. But then, I am preaching to the choir.

OP
D

Deer&Ducks527

Folks have also brought up the legal reasons and you seem to gloss over those as well.

Bottom line, it’s poor form to ask to use a work easement for recreation. It probably also violates the terms of the easement.

Instead of shooting down everyone who is telling you it’s not a good idea, go ask if you think it’s okay. I have a mountain of keys and combos at my disposal and would never even consider using them in the manner you are considering.

You do you.
How have I glossed over the legal reasons? You can see that I liked some of the earlier posts bringing up the legal reasons. I knew it was poor form to ask permission and I was aware of the legal reasons that would prevent it before posting this. In my original post I said “I think they probably wouldn’t allow it.” Considering that this forum has a lot of activity, I just wanted to see if anyone had an experience where the company was flexible about granting access. Now obviously I see that it never happens.

How have I glossed over the legal reasons? You can see that I liked some of the earlier posts bringing up the legal reasons. I knew it was poor form to ask permission and I was aware of the legal reasons that would prevent it before posting this. In my original post I said “I think they probably wouldn’t allow it.” Considering that this forum has a lot of activity, I just wanted to see if anyone had an experience where the company was flexible about granting access. Now obviously I see that it never happens.

Unfortunately I think it probably happens all too often

Mojave

WKR
If a federal employee finds out what you are doing, they will raise all kinds of hell. I know I would.

Create all kinds of drama for the company.

mt100gr.

WKR
Walk in there and shoot a bear! Sounds like the road is in good shape, should be a cruiser. And you'll have the place to yourself.

You think in the state of CA a company is going to take or associate with firearms or hunting?

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard on here.
If you even ask they will probably call swat and send you to Leavenworth.

Good luck.

Ohh and if your so confident no one else will be hunting it. Then you should have to fear of walking in. Because there is no reason for you to get blown out again by other hunters.

EdP

WKR
A bike pulling a cart would be the way to go IMO. A cheap mtn bike or a better quality used one might be worth looking into.

You already have an advantage by being somewhat familiar with the area due to work. Be happy with that and go hunt. Best of luck.

PS A new guy being defensive on here, justified or not, generally doesn't work out well. Be smart and let it go.

I gave a situation I have seen that is similar, but in my scenario it was only 2 miles deep, you said “well this is 9 miles back there, so that’s different” and something to the effect of “if I drive in there it won’t scare the animals” you seem to be defending the action we are universally telling you is a bad idea and illegal

OP
D

Deer&Ducks527

A bike pulling a cart would be the way to go IMO. A cheap mtn bike or a better quality used one might be worth looking into.

You already have an advantage by being somewhat familiar with the area due to work. Be happy with that and go hunt. Best of luck.

PS A new guy being defensive on here, justified or not, generally doesn't work out well. Be smart and let it go.
You’re absolutely right, I need to respect the long hours put in for coveted WKR status.