ASAT camo

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions? i hear some guys swear on this stuff! it looks visually unappealing, but guys rave about it. Seems it wouldn't blend very well in a southern co elk environment but what do you guys who actually use it think?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
This is just my opinion but I believe it is one of the best camos out there because it creates depth and doesn't get "blurred out" beyond 20 yards. But then again I don't even think camo is very important and regularly wear solid colors or plaid, even bowhunting. I find it very visually appealing, maybe that's why its my favorite.

robtattoo

WKR
It does EXACTLY what good camo should. It breaks up your outline.
So many people these days think that camo is meant to make you blend in or look like a bush. It really isn't.
Good camo should make you not look like a human.
Solid, bold designs like ASAT or the older (better) Predator work really, really well by distorting your silhouette & distance. The eye focuses on the darker shapes & fades the lighter into the background. This gives it an almost 3D effect making it very difficult to see exactly what you are, or how far away you are.
It's not as popular as, say, the Realtree or Mossy Oak patterns, simply because people think they ought to look like a tree.

robtattoo

WKR
0915f7a22787141f40d88e5798e59508.jpg

It even works in Florida swamps.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

Had a bull give me a 5 second once over last year at about 10 yards and he didn't spook. I like ASAT but so far I've only had on discount rack King's camo when bulls have given me an opportunity to shoot.

PA 5-0

WKR
0915f7a22787141f40d88e5798e59508.jpg

It even works in Florida swamps.

Can't say enough about ASAT. Been wearing it while slaying whitetails for over 30yrs. This pic is a perfect example of real camo vs. Hollywood camo. Simple test: at fifty yards, can u still see the camo's pattern?? Very few pass the test. ASAT and Kuiu Vias are the top tier.

So rewind 20yrs to my first CO elk hunt. My buddy who lived out there was gearing me up. We had chased big whitetails in the Midwest for years and he knew I was a 3D ASAT fanboy. No better camo for tree or ground hunting. His advice was leave the ASAT home as we would be hunting lots of dark timber, so I needed a darker pattern. Sorry Bro, that's a no go. Short story: we had the hunt of a lifetime and operated in the magic triangle to 6 straight days. During which, I lost count of the bulls that I could have touched with my bare hand. My buddy couldn't believe how many bulls almost walked right over me. After a quick snow storm, we sat calling for a bit. I was on the ground sitting against a log, all 3D'd up. Two martians rolled in on us and started eating the snow off the log. The one bull was literally breathing in my ear. Finally smelled me. Stepped right on my pack when he left.

That said, elk are almost blind compared to whitetails and turks, which have eyesight like eagles. Both will look right thru your ASAT camo.
I never leave home without it. Get yourself some. Best of luck. Dan

ElkBoss

FNG
ASAT is a dang good camo, IMHO, especially for the West. It does a really good job breaking up your outline. Most critters can't see the (most) of the colors anyway. Never hunted in the east so I can't speak to that end. FWIW, i've started using the First Lite Fusion this year and so far I really like it too. Need to get some pictures. Buddies say it does a great job of concealing my outline at distance, like the asat.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
ASAT is a great pattern. And a side note once you start using it kind of like joining a cult.

OP
Jjamesdean

Jjamesdean

Lil-Rokslider
ASAT is a dang good camo, IMHO, especially for the West. It does a really good job breaking up your outline. Most critters can't see the (most) of the colors anyway. Never hunted in the east so I can't speak to that end. FWIW, i've started using the First Lite Fusion this year and
and what?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ASAT is real good and works just about everywhere. However, the older clothes from the company are terrible. They did put out some new stuff this year but I have not tried it out or even heard of anyone having some. The First Light Stuff is great and if you want ASAT that's the way I would go. If anyone has the new mircotex stuff ASAT put out please post a review.

DWinVA

WKR
I really like ASAT. I use the leafy top sometimes and it's awesome. Most people here in VA think I'm going desert hunting. :)

God Bless.

Dameon

WKR
I have what some would call an ASAT addiction. The stuff just works like camo is supposed to. The only problem I have found is inconsistent sizing across the board from both First Lite and ASAT. I am a medium in the FL base layers and Kanab 2.0 pants but a small in the Uncompaghre puffy jacket. I could have gone with a small for my Stormtight set, but the extra room will be handy for extra layers underneath this October. I have a medium ASAT winter parka that fits like a small and a large ASAT bowhunter jacket that fits like a medium. My medium ASAT ultimate pants are baggy and loose, but to be honest, I use those for when it gets really cold and I like the extra room to layer up underneath. My medium ASAT leafy suit fits like it should and is probably the most versatile of the bunch. I have a set of Day One ASAT fleece that is dirt old and all piled up, but the stuff still does it's job and it is relegated to only mid season hunts now. Day One is made to order and can cost a pretty penny, but it does last. Of all the brands though, First Lite is definitely the best quality. I would only recommend trying stuff on locally before going on a buying spree, stuff can get expensive really fast even when buying off the awesome classifieds here.