Arrow rest advice and feedback - QAD/Hamskea

Had something weird happen today while shooting. I was about 30 shots in and was finishing up a 3 shot group when my third arrow decided today was the the day it would go through a picket fence. No idea what happened so maybe someone can let me know what to trouble shoot. I’ll attach a picture but I missed way high. Grabbed arrow out of the fence behind mine and shot again drilling where I was aiming. Keep in mind this was at 20 yards.

Here is the pic. Circle was the miss. Same arrow with a small tear in the vane very next shot and in the leaf I shoved in the target.

8e0e745a8324bdd7d35328f5598aa6d4.jpg

I’ve had a weird incident before on a single shot with a qad but it did a nose dive and disappeared in grass in less than 10 yards. This was a different rest.

Currently shooting the micro adjust qad and have been shooting it for about 4 years.

Considering going to the hamskea epsilon. I’ve always shot QAD and been happy. My concern with the limb driven test is the extra string that could snag on brush. I tree stand hunt more than anything but hike to most of my spots I deer hunt and I usually hunt in a saddle. I also spend 10 days every September in Colorado chasing elk and seem to end up in scrub oak and cedars in the area I hunt since it’s more foothills than big timber. Just wondering about issues snagging brush.

I’ve also seen a way to set this style up by attaching the cable to the yoke ring instead of the limb itself. Curious if anyone has done this and any feedback. I’ve also seen the cable tied in using a prusik knot vs using the Allen screw/clamp. Only issue I see is it snagging and loosening without noticing and noticing once trying to draw on an animal.

Hopefully someone can offer some insight. I just switched from a spot hog to option archery canyon pounder and love it. Also about to put new strings and cables on since it’s been 3 years so if ever a time to swap rests now would be it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcm2

WKR
Work the QAD and listen. I had one go south on me and it made a click when I pulled it back. Just broke. The Hamskea Epsilon and Hybrid Hunter have been bulletproof for me, other than when a bow tech adjusted the Hybrid Hunter incorrectly.

If the qad didn't drop, your vanes should have the evidence on them. Normally a rest sticking up will give you a low impact, or nose dive with a broadhead from it kicking the tail of the ahaft up.

Is it possible you actually nocked it below your loop by accident? Pretty far fetched I know, but if vanes aren't torn up I doubt it was a rest issue.

OP
ddavis_1313
If the qad didn't drop, your vanes should have the evidence on them. Normally a rest sticking up will give you a low impact, or nose dive with a broadhead from it kicking the tail of the ahaft up.

Is it possible you actually nocked it below your loop by accident? Pretty far fetched I know, but if vanes aren't torn up I doubt it was a rest issue.

Well, I put another 25-30 shots through it and zero issues. I worked the rest back and forth and other than the small click when it engages it seems just fine. Heck, I might have not had it nicked all the way. Weirder things have happened I suppose.

I’d consider the hamskea but I’m just worried about the additional cable attached to the limb. I would also like to know how much slack is in it at full draw. I shoot a lot with an empty quiver when practicing and curious if it’s enough slack to loop over the quiver and catch on one of the brackets that hold the arrow shaft since I shoot a tight spot right up against the riser.

Well, I put another 25-30 shots through it and zero issues. I worked the rest back and forth and other than the small click when it engages it seems just fine. Heck, I might have not had it nicked all the way. Weirder things have happened I suppose.

I’d consider the hamskea but I’m just worried about the additional cable attached to the limb. I would also like to know how much slack is in it at full draw. I shoot a lot with an empty quiver when practicing and curious if it’s enough slack to loop over the quiver and catch on one of the brackets that hold the arrow shaft since I shoot a tight spot right up against the riser.

I shoot both rests, I like, dislike things about both.

Situation determines which I use where. Basically I don't think either is a bad choice, if confidence is eroded in the QAD, you might need to look elsewhere. AAE has one that is similar, but I have no experience with it.

I really doubt the loose activation cord could be an issue with arrows and a quiver, if that's all that's holding you back.

TheTone

WKR
Been shooting a Hamskea with down cable attached to the limb since 2018 in brushy north Idaho. I’ve yet get it caught in the brush. Honestly the arrows in a quiver protect it fairly well if it really is an issue

BSLugnut

FNG
I have been shooting/hunting with Hamskea rests since 2010(ish).
Hunting with the Versa Rest, then the Versa Rest Full Capture, then the Hybrid Hunter, and now the Epsilon.
All configured by limb driven.
I have hunted from treestands, groundblinds, and on the ground chasing elk and deer.
To date, I have never caught the string on anything.
One just needs to be cognizant of where they tie their knot or attach the football, to not contact the arrow gripper when using a one-piece quiver.

OP
ddavis_1313
I appreciate the replies. I may consider the change just to try something else. I’m not one to swap stuff around seeing as how I’ve been shooting the same setup for 4 years. I may swing by a bow shop and see if anyone has one to look at on a bow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’ve used both and had good luck with both. I don’t shoot with my quiver on and don’t worry about the extra string of the limb driven rest. It ain’t as big of a deal as I thought it might be. However, I prefer the QAD rest over the Trinity. This is because I prefer my rest to be in the upright position before I draw my bow.

Good luck with your search for the perfect setup for your bow.

Ive had good luck with the several QAD's Ive run. Did have an issue with it not dropping but it was a bow setup/draw length issue. That said I picked up a new bow this year and threw an epsilon on it. It's been a great rest as well. I'd be happy with either.

devinhal

FNG

The actuation cord is often brought up as a concern for people who haven't used a limb driven rest before. When the bow is fully assembled the actuation cord of the rest sits between the arrows in the quiver and the bow cables. For something to catch on the cord, it has to either be shoved through your bow cables or the arrows in your quiver. This keeps the cord very protected when walking or pulling your bow up a tree.

One big difference between a cable fall-away rest and limb driven is the ability to tune/adjust the amount of guidance the launcher provides the arrow during the shot. As you move the cord closer to the limb tip, the launcher will be up for a longer period of time. As you move the cord further from the limb tip, the cord will be up for a shorter period of time. This timing will also influence the amount of slack that is present in the actuation cord at full draw. When the rest is properly timed, the cord is not have enough slack that the cord could get caught on the quiver or arrows in the quiver.

Here is a link to instructions on how we recommend timing one of our arrow rests.

Maz7869

FNG
I’ve had good luck with a lot of qad rests and wanted to try the hamskea epilson this year for something different. I like it more on the range it’s quicker to load, once the season starts we shall see if I notice the containment difference, I do need to draw a little slower to keep the arrow from bouncing around in the rest. They both seem to be good options.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt elk in thick timber in Idaho and had no issues with the activation cord catching on anything. I ran it to my bottom limb and my quiver protects it really well.
If very used to a QAD, then the containment will likely be the biggest difference you notice. A stick on arrow holder on the shelf of the bow helps, but they can cause vane contact too. Most just cover their shelf and part of the riser with moleskin to prevent noise, and/or get used to keeping one finger on the arrow if the need to move with an arrow nock comes up in a hunting situation.
I honestly put my trinity on the bow I use for 3d and went back to a QAD on my hunting bow. I simply love the containment for hunting situations. But the easy setup and adjustability of a limb driven is pretty awesome.
Really comes down to personal preference.

Trial153

WKR
Owned and used both, Prefer a QAD with its narrow lock up containment and short activation cord, add in lighter weight, less bulk and cleaner looks… HDXs are on all four of my bows currently

I've used both and really like both.. I really like the ability to "cock" the QAD in the upright position, but have seen a few failures over the years.. The inability to lock the limb driven in the upright position is different, but easy to get used to.. I have never had any issue with the cable getting snagged on or by anything... If you have any issues in the field the limb driven is must easier to setup in the field... I've found the Hamskea to be bulletproof once setup correctly.. I have used and really like the Vapor Trail Pro Vs as well..

OP
ddavis_1313
Pulled the trigger and went with an epsilon. Also swapped my stings and went back with gas xv. Got about 100 shots in and my splitter for the yoke cables on my rx3 took a dump and ruined a new set of cables. Gas is going to warranty my strings (they have always stood behind their product) so eating on those to come in. Hamskea is different but it seems to be fine. The containment is not as tight as the qad but it works well and I’m still shooting vanes off shafts regularly. Gotta quit shooting 3 shot groups. Lol