Arrow measurement question with outserts - Easton 4mm Long Range

Sorry for the rudimentary question. I'm planning to order a set of these arrows and need to measure nock valley to end of carbon, problem is I don't know how much of the arrow shaft the outsert covers up. For example if it covers 1" of the end of the shaft or 1/4" of the end that'll change my length measurement for the order. Anybody know this off the top of their head? Spine will be 300 if that matters.

Easton only makes a titanium or aluminum half-out for those shafts, or a deep six HIT insert. No collars. It's the aluminum halfouts that are included with the shafts as far as I know.

If you are wanting a collar, you will need to get that information from whomever is making that collar.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Oh awesome, well that answers my question. Yeah I'd just be going with the regular included aluminum half-outs. Thanks!

OP
ScreamingPotato
Just an update for reference. I finally found a video from Lancaster going over these, he says it's 1/16" covering and looks like it does barely cover the tip of the carbon. That's for the aluminum, he goes on to say the 55gr Titanium option doesn't have any carbon engagement so it's flush.

Just an update for reference. I finally found a video from Lancaster going over these, he says it's 1/16" covering and looks like it does barely cover the tip of the carbon. That's for the aluminum, he goes on to say the 55gr Titanium option doesn't have any carbon engagement so it's flush.

That's interesting, I had to dig further.

Easton makes them in different sizes, which would tend to make you think they are making them for individual sizes. They say it incorporates a collar, so it must be just a little, micro collar.

My advice is to stay far away from aluminum halfouts. I had trouble keeping SS straight. A friend had an aluminum halfout bend on an elk, really killed penetration when that broadhead starts to plane through flesh.

Personally I'd go with a 5mm and a hit insert if wanting smaller diameter. Or if really sold on the idea of a 4mm, I'd use something other than an aluminum outsert.

The 2 guys I know who did use the 4mm fmj were using a deep six hit insert. They got tired of bent arrows and have switched.

Edited to correct spelling and add a missing word.

Last edited:
I think the 5mm road has more options than 4mm and if I were to start from scratch id go with 5mm. I’m not onboard with there being nothing but pain at 4mm. In my experience, the victory system for 4mm is quite good. I’ve shot vaps for 4 years and never had issue with bending inserts or anything bad, really. My arrows have spun very true and fly fantastically. I have used the ethics archery inserts for a while and more recently the victory tshok inserts both the all SS version and the SS/Al version. No elk hard impacts but have had several big boar hog hard impacts and many deer and hog pass through with hard impacts on ground and rocks. Never had an insert bend in or through an animal. The only time I’ve had insert bend is direct hit on a rock that also decimated a quality broadhead or field point. Any impact that decimates a quality broadhead or field point will mess up an insert. All my buddies shoot 5mm and I cut their arrows, glue in the inserts, and work on their bows when needed. The 5mm arrows have way more options for adjusting insert style and weight.
Again I’d go 5mm if I were starting from scratch, but there are some good 4mm options out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk