Arrow build question?

When building an arrow how do you all typically approach it from a hunting standpoint? I’ve used some different calculators and seen different numbers for speed and kinetic energy depending on arrow weight.

Do you care only about kinetic energy?
Do you try to find a balance of speed and kinetic energy?

Some lower grain builds shoot very fast (and flat) and only sacrifice a little bit of kinetic energy, what do you think about that?

Is there a point of diminishing returns when going up on weight with heavier arrows vs speed?

Just would like to see opinions

big44a4

WKR
When building an arrow how do you all typically approach it from a hunting standpoint? I’ve used some different calculators and seen different numbers for speed and kinetic energy depending on arrow weight.

Some lower grain builds shoot very fast (and flat) and only sacrifice a little bit of kinetic energy, what do you think about that?

Is there a point of diminishing returns when going up on weight with heavier arrows vs speed?

Depends on what you are hunting. I use one arrow for everything I will hunt deer to elk. I build for an arrow speed/weight and think about the components I want to use to make the setup as durable as it can be. I usually end up 470-500gr. Right now I’m at 498gr and 288fps.

That said I have several buddies that will shoot a 400-420gr arrow for everything at a short draw length with ZERO issues. Elk, caribou, deer…you name it.

Bump79

WKR

I love this subject. The reality is with everything in arrow building there is a tradeoff taking place. The odds are is the middle ground is where it's at. It really starts with questions in my mind:
1) What is your max range?
2) How good are your at judging range?
3) What is your target?

I recommend getting to 400 grains minimum for durability and max 295 fps for broadhead flight forgiveness. If your shooting at a feeder at 17 yards then shoot heavy or whatever you like. If your shooting out to 35+ then you need forgiveness in location.

A heavier arrow on average will be more durable, penetrate better and be quieter.

A faster arrow will get to the target sooner reducing animal movement, have a more forgiving range error, have a smaller trajectory curve.

The whole "plan b" montra doesn't make much sense for heavy arrows. What is above and below the vital v is bone. If you have more range error you might hit bone you never would have with the lighter one. If the animal ducks and you hit shoulder you wouldn't have given it less time. It's a self fulling procephcy.

The benefits of a faster arrow to me are well worth it. Pick your broadhead for penetration - not the total arrow weight. I call it a normal weight as it's 400-480 grains generally.

Ignore kinetic energy. Once you pick your bow and set your draw weight and draw length, your KE is effectively fixed*.

Arrow weight vs. speed is a continuous trade-off between the flatter trajectory of a lighter/faster arrow vs. the greater penetration potential of a heavier/slower arrow. There's no definitive right answer, but IMO 6-7 gpp (grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight) generally yields a good balance of weight and speed for a hunting arrow out of a modern compound. At 70# DW, a 6-7 gpp arrow would weigh 420-490 gr and fly around 270-290 fps out of a 340 IBO bow at 28" DL.

*KE does increase slightly as arrow weight increases (due to more efficient energy transfer from the bow to the arrow), but the magnitude of the increase is not large enough to warrant consideration when choosing an arrow weight.