Arrow build for antelope

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Drew the Montana archery antelope tag for the first time. Do you experienced folks build a lighter, faster arrow than you would for mule deer or elk? Or just use the same arrow build to keep it simple?

I currently shoot a ~465 grain Axis but do plan to drop some weight anyways to a ~430 grain Rip TKO and up the poundage from 65 to 70lbs. I figured this would give me some additional speed since I have a shorter draw length at 27.5”.

It’s very possible I’m overthinking this…

Guncap

FNG
There's something to be said for sticking with one arrow for all three, but what's the fun in that? I was in your situation last year, shooting Axis 300's that came right in at 500 gr, decided I wanted more speed so I cut RIP's at the same length which knocked 50 grains off and got me an extra 20 fps. At you draw length I would absolutely consider knocking your arrow weight down to the 400-420 grain range for goats to recover some forgiveness with your sight tape/pin gaps. I have a couple of buddies with 26" draw lengths who hunt all three with arrows in that weight range, so don't rule that out as an option either.

Gobbler36

WKR
I would depending on broadheads
if using a nice sharp fixed head I’d lighten it up some to gain some speed.
if you are set in mech heads I’d stay at your current weight or heavier

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
There's something to be said for sticking with one arrow for all three, but what's the fun in that? I was in your situation last year, shooting Axis 300's that came right in at 500 gr, decided I wanted more speed so I cut RIP's at the same length which knocked 50 grains off and got me an extra 20 fps. At you draw length I would absolutely consider knocking your arrow weight down to the 400-420 grain range for goats to recover some forgiveness with your sight tape/pin gaps. I have a couple of buddies with 26" draw lengths who hunt all three with arrows in that weight range, so don't rule that out as an option either.
I was thinking around 430 for everything. Seems like a good compromise. I’ll have to do the math to compare the Rip to Axis with the same components

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I would depending on broadheads
if using a nice sharp fixed head I’d lighten it up some to gain some speed.
if you are set in mech heads I’d stay at your current weight or heavier
Only fixed broadheads for me

nphunter

WKR
Any arrow weight and head will work for antelope, they are about the size of a yearling deer. As far as arrows there is no reason to change if you are shooting well with your current setup, confidence outweighs everything and by the time you buy/build and tune your arrows, you will be a month before the season.

I hunt everything with one arrow, I also shoot a 27.5" draw and am shooting about 275fps with a 490gr arrow tipped with expandable heads. They work excellently on everything they hit and I'm used to the trajectory and flight of the arrows. One thing to consider when shooting a fixed head is that once you start getting above 280fps they become less forgiving, I really don't feel like the trajectory gain will help much for hunting antelope, if they are far away you should be ranging, and if they're close it doesn't matter. Also unless you are used to hunting antelope they are hard to estimate yardage on because they are way smaller than deer or elk, you are better off to range before every shot unless your hunting over water at a close distance. To me, a trajectory gain is more beneficial in the woods when you have to deal with low-hanging branches and brush.

As far as RIP TKO's vs Axis the RIP's are better arrows so that is a good move and I think you will be happy.

Reactions: Zac
OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
Any arrow weight and head will work for antelope, they are about the size of a yearling deer. As far as arrows there is no reason to change if you are shooting well with your current setup, confidence outweighs everything and by the time you buy/build and tune your arrows, you will be a month before the season.

I hunt everything with one arrow, I also shoot a 27.5" draw and am shooting about 275fps with a 490gr arrow tipped with expandable heads. They work excellently on everything they hit and I'm used to the trajectory and flight of the arrows. One thing to consider when shooting a fixed head is that once you start getting above 280fps they become less forgiving, I really don't feel like the trajectory gain will help much for hunting antelope, if they are far away you should be ranging, and if they're close it doesn't matter. Also unless you are used to hunting antelope they are hard to estimate yardage on because they are way smaller than deer or elk, you are better off to range before every shot unless your hunting over water at a close distance. To me, a trajectory gain is more beneficial in the woods when you have to deal with low-hanging branches and brush.

As far as RIP TKO's vs Axis the RIP's are better arrows so that is a good move and I think you will be happy.
I think the build I'm doing with the Rip actually ends up around 440. That's basically taking the same components from my Axis setup but putting them into the Rip (Easton hit inserts 75 g, max stealth vanes, 100g tip)

I've had a few encounters with antelope in areas where they will just run by at like 20 yards. Of course, that's when I don't have a tag

SDHNTR

WKR
No! Totally counterproductive. You cannot build an arrow faster than the speed of sound. Lighter arrows are louder. Bow noise is what makes the animal jump. Go for a quieter set up, period. That’s not going lighter!

Reactions: Zac

Trial153

WKR
I do, and will this year with NV tag I drew. Lopes are one of the few animals prefer mechanical heads and fairly light TOW arrow weight arrows for. The flatter trajectories at longer distances are welcome for sure. Of course if your sitting over water it’s probably a nonissue how ever it won’t hurt either way …they are thin skinned, small bodied and fragile.
This year I am shooting a 420 grain arrow about 290 fps.

I also have the same DL. Shooting 432 grain for everything - deer, lope, bear and elk. Don't overthink it, good broadhead and right placement you'll be fine.

Zac

WKR
I actually like a moderate weight with a fixed blade for blind hunting. You get all sorts of different shot presentations sitting over a tank. Also they don't always stay long.

Marble

WKR
I wouldn't touch anything. I also shoot one arrow for everything.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I'm having some arrows built by my shop right now. They should come in around 450 grains.

Victory Rip TKO 300 spine cut to 27.5" with AAE Max Stealth Vanes, 75 grain brass HIT, and a white wrap. Pretty excited! I upped my poundage to 70 yesterday and the 340 spine Axis is noticeably underspined.

DuckDogDr

WKR
one arrow for everything. I’ve been shooting traditional and set in a rhythm … don’t need 50 squirrels running in my head as I’m doing complex aiming trigonometrics while sticking my tongue and doing the stay still dance

OP
C

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_6771.jpeg

Got the arrows! Come in around 455 grains and are shooting great. Changed up my sight tape and I’m all set for elk and antelope.