Aron Snyder and James Petker's Live mountain goat hunt

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got service for the first time...

We've seen about 40 goats....1 billy that would score in the 47-48 inch range.

Multiple 10-12 inch nanny goats...

We have a potential shooter in the spotter at the moment, but he's over a mile away and we need a closer look

Heading that way in 20, but we need to stop for water as we are both out.

If we end up shooting a goat in the area we are heading to, we may need a ride since we are a LONG way from the yruck

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349466241364.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349466241364.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 217

Hardstalk

WKR
Nice! Go get him. I saw pics once of some crazy guy who packed out 180lbs of goat by himself with one of dem super wazoo kifaru dealys

shanevg

WKR
I guess I should post these updates here - they coincide nicely with Aron's update. Both my updates were before they spotted the possible shooter.

Just got an update from James and Aron. They made it into the spot where they got the glimpse of the "monster billy" last week. The had the whole herd feed out in the open for quite a while and had a long time to study the goats. Turns out the "monster billy" was a 12+ inch nanny with large bases (thus mistaking it for a billy after seeing it for only 5 minutes in the trees.) They are now going to climb out of the hole they are in to a different drainage in the unit and see if they can find any billies up there where there were a couple monsters hanging out earlier this summer. Jame's air matress (I don't know what kind he had) popped and they don't have a repair kit along so sleeping has been really cold. If they don't find anything tonight they are planning on heading back to the truck, grabbing their backup air matress and checking out a different unit.

Another update from James:

Spotted one nanny and kid and a lone billy in the next drainage. Don't know where the big herd is. They are moving one more ridge over to see if they have dropped into that drainage. If not they are planning on heading out tonight to regroup, get a new sleeping pad, and probably move into one of the other units.

shanevg

WKR
Heard from James and Aron again tonight. They spotted a possible shooter but after getting closer realized it was another 12+ inch nanny. Only one billy today and they cannot locate many goats at all. Aron is complaining that these WA goats are nothing like CO goats as they go bed down in the trees. He says it's closer to hunting alpine mulies than mountain goats. They are spending the night tonight and then checking a few more drajnages before moving to another side of the mountain.

a3dhunter

WKR
Heard from James and Aron again tonight. They spotted a possible shooter but after getting closer realized it was another 12+ inch nanny. Only one billy today and they cannot locate many goats at all. Aron is complaining that these WA goats are nothing like CO goats as they go bed down in the trees. He says it's closer to hunting alpine mulies than mountain goats. They are spending the night tonight and then checking a few more drajnages before moving to another side of the mountain.

Tell Aron its a five dollar fine for whining!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been a long day!

Dropped across glacier creek anf found someone to give us a ride back to the truck ....IT CAN BE DONE SHANE

James passed on this billy at 52 yards, but it was close to a shooter.

Not complaining about the goats being in the trees ....just not use to it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1331237943524.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1331237943524.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 272
OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The billy that James passed up today....

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349578909902.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349578909902.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 173
  • uploadfromtaptalk1349578924451.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349578924451.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 220

a3dhunter

WKR
Been a long day!

Dropped across glacier creek anf found someone to give us a ride back to the truck ....IT CAN BE DONE SHANE

Was just giving you a hard time, and glad to hear you got the ride.
Keep hunting hard and keep your head up. Good luck guys and be safe on the mountain!
Hope your hard work is rewarded soon!

shanevg

WKR
Been a long day!

I certainly never said it couldn't be done, I just said I'd rather hike back up to the truck than drop down. You found out why!

In all honesty, I'm glad you guys made it out OK. That drainage can be pretty dangerous. I'd rather hear from you via cell like I did than get a text from Mountain Rescue about a mission for some lost goat hunters in Glacier Creek!

Get a good shower and some good rest tonight! You guys are heading for another great spot tomorrow! Sorry I couldn't be there to help you find a way down!

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We'll keep you posted Shane ....

It wouldn't take that route again, and we had planned on taking your advice :) but we spotted the billy and everything went to hell in a handbasket after that.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Alrighty ......

We are re grouping for another trip this morning. James needs to fling a few arrows and bullets down range....something about the unerbrush of Washington seems to have a bad affect on hunting gear/weapons! I thought i saw charlie in the bush a few times, but it could have been mushroom pickers....not sure

Stinging neddle sucks as much now as it did when i was young and James kept slapping me in the leg with devils club!

On that note: NEVER buy a used bow from a person that actually hunts in the Pacific Northwest, as it has been abused....

The area we're heading to has a lot of bear, so we may drop one if we get the chance .....

Aron has been hiking me into the ground and has had to pack some of my stuff every now and then...Colorado guys are tougher than us Washington dudes!

shanevg

WKR
Alrighty ......

We are re grouping for another trip this morning. James needs to fling a few arrows and bullets down range....something about the unerbrush of Washington seems to have a bad affect on hunting gear/weapons! I thought i saw charlie in the bush a few times, but it could have been mushroom pickers....not sure

Stinging neddle sucks as much now as it did when i was young and James kept slapping me in the leg with devils club!

On that note: NEVER buy a used bow from a person that actually hunts in the Pacific Northwest, as it has been abused....

The area we're heading to has a lot of bear, so we may drop one if we get the chance .....

We may not grow the animals quite as big up here but we definitely grow the tough hunters! Now you all know why you see so many Washingtonians hunting out of state!