Ark versus K4. Who do you got?

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Had both, kept the k4. They’re both great. As you said, packs are like boots. No substitute for trying them yourself

7mm-08

WKR
Pretty hard to beat the bag layout with the K4. I've struggle with Kifaru's bags (so I have all their internal frame packs).

I'm a broad guy myself. (5'8, 52" chest) so I want something that fits. I like my k3 except with heavier loads it sags a bit but maybe I don't have it adjusted right. Right now these packs are being used for deep whitetails hunts where you're packing out gear and animals. So the ark with say the manimal looks ideal for what we're doing but eventually would love to make it west. Thanks for the in depth response.
I have not use ARK yet but used K4 all last year and just got back from first hunt this year. K4 works amazing for broad shoulders. they moved the webbing attachment for the shoulder pads wider by attaching to hip belt further out.

Packed out my elk from this past Sunday. No issues whatsoever with my K4. Loads were heavy but I had no sagging at all, no pinch on my shoulders, hip belt stayed in place on my hips. Best pack I’ve ever had by far.

Tradchef

WKR
Do you find the K4 to sag under heavy loads? That's my only complaint with the K3.
I don't use these pack brands, but I do listen to the EXO podcast. The sag you are talking about was a common issue for a lot of guys on the K3 set up so while making the K4 that was a problem they addressed. From the comments I have read on the forums here they have fixed it and it's pretty on point. I would be hard pressed to go to another company if EXO has worked well for you. Unless you just want to try something else and have your mind set on that.

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up going with the Kifaru. At least gonna give it a fit and see how she feels. Pairing it up with the manimal I think is the best combo for haulin whitetails out of the deep woods.

6.5x284

WKR
I’ve run both quite a bit. I generally prefer the ARK frame and EXO bags. With the newer Absoroka bag, I like that layout a lot and how I can access with zippers without loosening side straps. I love the EXO water bottle holder design and location. Both are great but the ARK seems to stay put for me slightly better. I’ve done lots of training hikes swapping packs halfway through and always seem to prefer the ARK slightly. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either and I still keep and use both. Overall they both fit me great and would use either without concern. Over about 50 lb the ARK becomes my favorite.

My gripes.

K4.

In extreme cold the K4 foam is too dense for me and becomes uncomfortable (below zero).

With the K4 when an elk hind quarter is synched down it seems to pull the frame support stays out of square where the ARK stays in the exact spot if that makes sense. It’s like the K4 pulls the stays to the contour of the meat where with the ARK the meat conforms to the contour of the frame. If that makes any sense. Not sure if it’s really an issue but an observation.

ARK.

Bag selection.

Shoulder straps not quite as comfortable as K4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve run both quite a bit. I generally prefer the ARK frame and EXO bags. With the newer Absoroka bag, I like that layout a lot and how I can access with zippers without loosening side straps. I love the EXO water bottle holder design and location. Both are great but the ARK seems to stay put for me slightly better. I’ve done lots of training hikes swapping packs halfway through and always seem to prefer the ARK slightly. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either and I still keep and use both. Overall they both fit me great and would use either without concern. Over about 50 lb the ARK becomes my favorite.

My gripes.

K4.

In extreme cold the K4 foam is too dense for me and becomes uncomfortable (below zero).

With the K4 when an elk hind quarter is synched down it seems to pull the frame support stays out of square where the ARK stays in the exact spot if that makes sense. It’s like the K4 pulls the stays to the contour of the meat where with the ARK the meat conforms to the contour of the frame. If that makes any sense. Not sure if it’s really an issue but an observation.

ARK.

Bag selection.

Shoulder straps not quite as comfortable as K4.

what bags are you running? I'm looking at the manimal or the absaroka.

6.5x284

WKR
The Absoroka and Dall, and then EXO K3 bags on the ARK. I’ll be using the Absoroka for sheep here in a few days.