Ark versus K4. Who do you got?

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
Hey fellas. Recently my gf has picked up hunting and has found my K3 pack fits her quite well, so this puts me in the market for a new pack. Now I've narrowed it down to the ark and the K4 which im partial too due loving the K3. The thing that I like about the kifaru is the modularity of packs and accessories. I know this is specific to the individual kinda like boots. But was looking for some guidance from some of you who may have experience with both packs and maybe the pros and cons of both. Sorry if this has been posted before.

I don't have any of the newest kifaru bags but I've ran some of the older ones and I now have a k4.
I think either pack will work great for you, it's just a matter of which bag/pockets/accessories are gonna fit your needs.
I prefer the k4 bag at the moment. The new ark frame looks super nice but there isn't a bag yet that I've seen that I want more than what I have now.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
I don’t have the ARK- but did have every kifaru pack before and still have the DL in both sizes. I have also ran the EXO in every generation including the K4 now.

They are different style frames with the kifaru historically being more stiff then EXO frames.

My main comment would be that the ARK is only a 25” frame and unless you are sure that size frame fits properly and provided enough load lift I would look more into a DL or K4.

I have the new ARK and just used it on an Alaskan Mtn goat. Came out heavy with close to 100lbs according to the pilot with my rifle. Honestly did amazing and I become a huge fan of the frame.

I used to run a K2 and K3..so can't speak for the K4. But for me the exos fit better for people with narrower shoulders. I'm very broad and MR and Kifaru just fit way better. I can honestly say the ark rides way better then any other pack I've owned. SG, MR and EXO. Granted never tried the K4.

As for bags....exo wins. I hate how sloppy Kifaru bags are. And there built like a barrel. Exo does the bags better. The new meat hauler for the ark is absolutely garbage too by the way.but.the load shelf on bags works fine. I ran the Dall bag on that hunt and didn't use the meatshellf. I just loaded up the bag when I came out heavy.

I was disappointed exo didn't make anything compatible from K3 to K4 and with the frame issues I had where the pack would pull away from and slide alot with heavy weight I decided to give the Kifaru Ark a try and honestly I'm glad I did. With my build that thing just rides so much better for me... hopefully the bags improve a bit to be more streamlined like SG and EXO. That would be nice. But honestly I'll take comfort over the bag any day. That Dall is massive but did fantastic on a 7+ day goat hunt

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I have the new ARK and just used it on an Alaskan Mtn goat. Came out heavy with close to 100lbs according to the pilot with my rifle. Honestly did amazing and I become a huge fan of the frame.

I used to run a K2 and K3..so can't speak for the K4. But for me the exos fit better for people with narrower shoulders. I'm very broad and MR and Kifaru just fit way better. I can honestly say the ark rides way better then any other pack I've owned. SG, MR and EXO. Granted never tried the K4.

As for bags....exo wins. I hate how sloppy Kifaru bags are. And there built like a barrel. Exo does the bags better. The new meat hauler for the ark is absolutely garbage too by the way.but.the load shelf on bags works fine. I ran the Dall bag on that hunt and didn't use the meatshellf. I just loaded up the bag when I came out heavy.

I was disappointed exo didn't make anything compatible from K3 to K4 and with the frame issues I had where the pack would pull away from and slide alot with heavy weight I decided to give the Kifaru Ark a try and honestly I'm glad I did. With my build that thing just rides so much better for me... hopefully the bags improve a bit to be more streamlined like SG and EXO. That would be nice. But honestly I'll take comfort over the bag any day. That Dall is massive but did fantastic on a 7+ day goat hunt
I'm a broad guy myself. (5'8, 52" chest) so I want something that fits. I like my k3 except with heavier loads it sags a bit but maybe I don't have it adjusted right. Right now these packs are being used for deep whitetails hunts where you're packing out gear and animals. So the ark with say the manimal looks ideal for what we're doing but eventually would love to make it west. Thanks for the in depth response.

croben

WKR
I had the same issue with the K3 slipping when it got heavy. I don’t have that issue with the K4 though. I don’t have the ARC, but do have a Kifaru DL with Hoodlum pack and it fits me great as well. Try them both and see what fits you best. They both have great return policies.

I'm a broad guy myself. (5'8, 52" chest) so I want something that fits. I like my k3 except with heavier loads it sags a bit but maybe I don't have it adjusted right. Right now these packs are being used for deep whitetails hunts where you're packing out gear and animals. So the ark with say the manimal looks ideal for what we're doing but eventually would love to make it west. Thanks for the in depth response.
Yup! You and me with that big chest and shoulders. The arc just fits better for me then my K3 did. I don't have any of the slippage. And I hiked at times 5-6 hours straight through jungle and alpine with heavy loads. Both coming in and leaving. I actually ordered the manimal for day hunting here in Colorado. Hoping it fits the bill for that. Again zero experience with the K4. I'm sure it's great as exo makes great stuff. But the ark fits me great and I've been impressed

I have had almost every kifaru frame for the last 12 years. The hip and shoulder upgrades on the arc have been the best improvement thus far.

ccc81d709663abe5ee76322b7ef38ae4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I owned a K4 3600 and an Ark with Stryker bag for awhile to compare. (5-8, 44” chest). I did hunt last year with the K4 and had hunted previous years with a Kifaru duplex amongst other packs. After quite a few miles and back-to-back comparisons I kept the Ark/Stryker. First off, both are very well built and have excellent customer service. Two things differentiated them to me: 1) the Ark slides down less, and 2) I prefer the Stryker bag system.
The K4 would slide down to where it felt weird on my butt and I would have to stop, lift pack up and cinch it down again. Or, let some of the weight ride on the shoulder straps. With the Ark I rarely need to adjust and can leave the shoulder straps pretty loose.
The K4 bag has a lot of straps and getting anything out from other than the lid I find to be a minor annoyance. In their latest podcast, EXO discussed how they used dry bags to make switching packloads easier. That is what the Stryker does so well. Put all of camp in a dry bag on the “load shelf” and day hunt gear in the Stryker bag.
The K4 hip belt pockets are quite good. I am using one on my Ark. I much prefer the Kifaru rifle carrier while hunting, though the K4 works great for hiking. I could never get it smooth and easy to release the rifle on my K4 and couldn’t use it while hunting. You could use a Kifaru gun bearer on the K4 for hunting.
How you like organize your gear could make one or the other stand out for you. You really do need to try them when it comes to fit.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah gotta try them for yourself, I had the exact opposite experience with these 2 exact packs in regards to the hip belt slipping

Both fantastic packs and IMO the top two available from anyone. For me, the Ark just fit me like a glove so I sold my K4. But had the Ark never come out I’d have never had a single second thought about the K4.

You will definitely be happy with either one.

I’ve had Kifaru packs as well. They did the job but I couldn’t get them to quite fit me. I now have the EXO k4 and so far it has been way better for me. One huge difference has been the hip belt. I also like the weight and how small it compresses down to day pack mode. I’m also 5’8” and have about a 44”-46” chest and very broad shoulders. I’m built like a stocky tank.

OP
Pilarczyk85

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had Kifaru packs as well. They did the job but I couldn’t get them to quite fit me. I now have the EXO k4 and so far it has been way better for me. One huge difference has been the hip belt. I also like the weight and how small it compresses down to day pack mode. I’m also 5’8” and have about a 44”-46” chest and very broad shoulders. I’m built like a stocky tank.
Do you find the K4 to sag under heavy loads? That's my only complaint with the K3.

not used the K4 yet. But i'm about 15ish miles of use into my Ark. Light weight and heavy weight, with and without a buckled waist belt the lumbar pad is PLANTED firmly in place. The heavy weight and light weight feel about the same other than the amount of speed I can move with

Hey fellas. Recently my gf has picked up hunting and has found my K3 pack fits her quite well, so this puts me in the market for a new pack. Now I've narrowed it down to the ark and the K4 which im partial too due loving the K3. The thing that I like about the kifaru is the modularity of packs and accessories. I know this is specific to the individual kinda like boots. But was looking for some guidance from some of you who may have experience with both packs and maybe the pros and cons of both. Sorry if this has been posted before.
If you liked the K3, I wouldn’t change to a different company. If the sag you speak of was because the pack would slip then I’d definitely try the Kifaru.