Arizona Desert Sheep

BBob

WKR
It's been 10 years but I've assisted on that hunt. I spent more time in the Mohawks during the hunt but a bit of scouting in the Pinta's. Pinta's are a trek with deep canyons, caves and boulders that the sheep can bury themselves in. A friend of a friends son killed a 180 ish years ago in the Pinta's. One of the freaks that occasionally come out of the woodwork down there. Mohawks obviously more accessible. If you can find a shooter in the Mohawks your life would be much simpler. We backpacked into everything. Have you contacted the Cabeza Prieta field office and looked into getting the safety training and the permitting procedures to be on range?

All in all it's a very unique place. Once you get over all of the military junk scattered everywhere (darts sticking out of the ground everywhere) the beauty of that desert will shine, it's like non-other that I've ever seen anywhere. Very little to no cattle were ever grazed in there so it's more of an original unaltered desert. There's so much cryptobiotic soil everywhere you have no choice but to walk on it. It's 5-6" thick in places. We originally attempted to stick to the washes to get around and to stay off it but it's impossible and you'll die trying.

Last edited:
OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
It's been 10 years but I've assisted on that hunt. I spent more time in the Mohawks during the hunt but a bit of scouting in the Pinta's. Pinta's are a trek with deep canyons, caves and boulders that the sheep can bury themselves in. A friend of a friends son killed a 180 ish years ago in the Pinta's. One of the freaks that occasionally come out of the woodwork down there. Mohawks obviously more accessible. If you can find a shooter in the Mohawks your life would be much simpler. We backpacked into everything. Have you contacted the Cabeza Prieta field office and looked into getting the safety training and the permitting procedures to be on range?

All in all it's a very unique place. Once you get over all of the military junk scattered everywhere (darts sticking out of the ground everywhere) the beauty of that desert will shine, it's like non-other that I've ever seen anywhere. Very little to no cattle were ever grazed in there so it's more of an original unaltered desert. There's so much cryptobiotic soil everywhere you have no choice but to walk on it. It's 5-6" thick in places. We originally attempted to stick to the washes to get around and to stay off it but it's impossible and you'll die trying.
I brought up the Mohawks since a sliver is in my unit. I have backpack hunted a lot so I do know what I'm getting myself into and why I have been applying there. Im confident ill turn up a great ram. Thats awesome your friend shot a giant years back. I wish I could scout more than I want but these temps would kill a guy since you can't glass from the road really at all LOL

I have sent emails to Cabeza an Region 4 office in Yuma. All the info will trickle in. Can not wait. Thanks for sharing with me

BBob

WKR
Feel free to PM me and I'll share an email or phone if you'd like. I can pull my folder from that hunt and go through it. I'd be happy to give an overview of anything we did, where we went and how we accessed. I may not remember everything but a little time looking at maps would surely bring back info. I think you're in for a hell of a treat!!!

You are right about the heat. Scouting in the Pinta's early can be really tough finding sheep. They will bury themselves getting out of the sun and can be super hard to find. If AZGFD will still share survey photos you should try to get them. It'll give you some ideas about where and how they hide. I'll bet you'll find that little sliver of the Mohawks is actually quit a bit to cover. Ram's can certainly disappear in there. There will be days of little to no sheep but others might be plentiful.

Congratulations on your Arizona DBHS tags.

I drew Unit 45C - Kafo National Wildlife Refuge - SW Arizona- nonresident Desert Bighorn late hunt. 14 points.

Outfitter/guide contract already signed. Very blessed and ecstatic, Tom a/k/a TheGrayRider.

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Greg Koons, High Desert Outfitters, would be a great contact to make. My understanding is that he selflessly gives out intel on both units in the Cabeza Prieta, also guiding hunters there as well. Jay Scott has an excellent podcast with Greg going into detail about the above. Congrats on the tag!

OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on your Arizona DBHS tags.

I drew Unit 45C - Kafo National Wildlife Refuge - SW Arizona- nonresident Desert Bighorn late hunt. 14 points.

Outfitter/guide contract already signed. Very blessed and ecstatic, Tom a/k/a TheGrayRider.
who did you hire? congrats!!!!

OP
swarovskicoues

swarovskicoues

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my 2022 Arizona Desert Sheep! Thought id share since im online for once. Was an epic hunt, couldn't have asked for a better time with my dad and great friends that helped me out. Backpack style hunt took him on day 6 after passing a lot of younger rams and dodging illegal aliens running from border patrol! Half slam ram! Dall and Rocky next!

IMG_6011.jpeg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my 2022 Arizona Desert Sheep! Thought id share since im online for once. Was an epic hunt, couldn't have asked for a better time with my dad and great friends that helped me out. Backpack style hunt took him on day 6 after passing a lot of younger rams and dodging illegal aliens running from border patrol! Half slam ram! Dall and Rocky next!

View attachment 542358
Beautiful Ram thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

View attachment 542358
Beautiful ram. Love the red color. Congratulations again, TheGrayRider.