Arizona 5B South Archery Elk

180ls1

Well Known Rokslider
Funny you mention 11M and 6A because those are the 2 units I have hunted in the past as a NR. I believe 11M was 7M when I hunted it in 2001, the Flagstaff Metro area. They were good, but I think 5B south may even have more potential? Your thoughts? I will definitely order a Flatline map. Not sure about the app yet?

Going by the numbers, 5B is definitely better. I never had a problem getting into elk and I drew the tag years ago before I had a decent idea what to do (I didn't grow up hunting).

How were your hunts in 11 and 6?

OP
E

elkhunterKohler

Going by the numbers, 5B is definitely better. I never had a problem getting into elk and I drew the tag years ago before I had a decent idea what to do (I didn't grow up hunting).

How were your hunts in 11 and 6?
11M was my first. Great hunt but bulls did not want to come in to calls. I think they were too educated. No kill. 6A missed an easy shot at a big one, 340ish 1st hunt. 2nd 6a hunt passed on a couple of small bulls and never had an opportunity at a shooter. Lots of elk and tons of hunter. I've killed nice Bulls in a few different states but cannot seem to kill one in Arizona even though they were great hunts. I'm hoping that changes this year. My biggest question will be what I'm willing to settle on for size? How were your hunts?

OP
E

elkhunterKohler

I was there 16 days last year and only ran into a couple hunters while working a bull. Bulls bugled all 16 days and had no problem getting on elk. The last 5 days of the season the woods will be empty... most tag holders only hunt the weekends. You'll have a great hunt. Ed F
Thanks for the info! I'm excited!

180ls1

Well Known Rokslider
11M was my first. Great hunt but bulls did not want to come in to calls. I think they were too educated. No kill. 6A missed an easy shot at a big one, 340ish 1st hunt. 2nd 6a hunt passed on a couple of small bulls and never had an opportunity at a shooter. Lots of elk and tons of hunter. I've killed nice Bulls in a few different states but cannot seem to kill one in Arizona even though they were great hunts. I'm hoping that changes this year. My biggest question will be what I'm willing to settle on for size? How were your hunts?
Let's talk off-line. My dad and I have been 3/3 there although two hunts were late season rifle. I'll shoot you a message.

fmyth

Well Known Rokslider
I've hunted 6a twice and was only able to kill a 5x6 raghorn and help a friend kill a spike. I was helping another friend in 6a and watched him miss a 300ish 6x6 at 450 yards. I've never seen anything bigger than a 300" bull in all of my years of hunting and recreating in 11m and 6a. I know that they are out there and will keep looking for them. Maybe this will be my year across the street in 5b.

Tberg

Well Known Rokslider
Be ready to kill an elk at any time. you could be eating a sandwich in camp mid day and a bull could push 25-40 cows past right past your camp. Get a good map and camp in an area that allows you to access a lot of the surrounding area, don't stress out on hunting the entire unit, its all prime ground. If you're savvy you could hunt elk from your camp every morning. Its common to not hear much bugling in the afternoon, mornings are another story. Be aggressive, there are a lot of elk. The big boys usually don't show up till the 2nd week, killing one ain't easy. Find a few tanks and sit water, don't sit closer than 40 yards from the tank, the elk just know when something doesn't look right. I recommend a map from gameplannermaps.com, heck of a nice guy, hunter, and he'll work with you on the map that suits your needs. https://gameplannermaps.com/

Have fun, you'll get your opportunities.

Last edited:
OP
E

elkhunterKohler

Be ready to kill an elk at any time. you could be eating a sandwich in camp mid day and a bull could push 25-40 cows past right past your camp. Get a good map and camp in an area that allows you to access a lot of the surrounding area, don't stress out on hunting the entire unit, its all prime ground. If you're savvy you could hunt elk from your camp every morning. Its common to not hear much bugling in the afternoon, mornings are another story. Be aggressive, there are a lot of elk. The big boys usually don't show up till the 2nd week, killing one ain't easy. Find a few tanks and sit water, don't sit closer than 40 yards from the tank, the elk just know when something doesn't look right. I recommend a map from gameplannermaps.com, heck of a nice guy, hunter, and he'll work with you on the map that suits your needs. https://gameplannermaps.com/

Have fun, you'll get your opportunities.
Thanks for the information and advice. I'm definitely pumped for this hunt!