Argali S35VN vs Benchmade S30V vs S90V

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the market for a new fixed blade. I have it narrowed down to an Argali Carbon or Serac, a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner or Steep Country. What say you?

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I recently picked up a brand new bench made altitude black in s90v.. I am very very impressed with the steel, it holds a extremely good edge. I reckon any of the SV steels would be up to the task of breaking down any animal, and perform well. I would suggest the s90v because it has better edge retention
of the 3, however I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

on a side note, the ergonomics of the altitude fit my hands good, and the jimping has a lot of grip; placed in critical and usable areas.

weighs 2.5oz total with sheath

Attachments

• 3603113B-EC0F-46C7-B541-18565D6B5919.jpeg
    3603113B-EC0F-46C7-B541-18565D6B5919.jpeg
    611.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Not in your list but look at the Ranier Knives. Elmax steel and $100 for the fastpak. $125 for the new style. Very impressed with it.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions
I think the altitude looks like a nice ultralight pack knife...not sure about the skeletonized handle vs say the argali carbon or a more traditional handle in the saddle mountain skinner.

tiredfeet

FNG
I was looking at the same knives, trying to decide what to get. They all look good. So I’ll be following this thread. Who knows I may end up getting more than one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
Last time I was looking at a fixed blade, I narrowed it down to that Argali Carbon, the Benchmade Altitude, and a Kestrel Ovis Hunter.......I bought all 3🤦‍♂️ I'm going to say the Altutude gets used the most.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I was looking at a fixed blade, I narrowed it down to that Argali Carbon, the Benchmade Altitude, and a Kestrel Ovis Hunter.......I bought all 3🤦‍♂️ I'm going to say the Altutude gets used the most.
Care to comment on the hand feel of the altitude in use? I was leaning argali just because of the g10 sideplates thinking it would be more comfortable in the hand.

MtnMuley

WKR
Honestly the Altitude has the best feel to me out of those, but I'm also accustom to Kestrel Skeleton knives. If you can, go to a store that carries the Altitude and try it out and see if you like the fit.

sndmn11

WKR
S90V is outstanding. It is easy to maintain an edge on a sharp knife, easier than the lower grade steels in my experience, and I don't understand any of the sentiment about being hard to sharpen. The only downside to these steels that hold an edge so well is they are relatively brittle compared to some of the more common steels and some care in twisting or batoning needs to be considered.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
S90V is outstanding. It is easy to maintain an edge on a sharp knife, easier than the lower grade steels in my experience, and I don't understand any of the sentiment about being hard to sharpen. The only downside to these steels that hold an edge so well is they are relatively brittle compared to some of the more common steels and some care in twisting or batoning needs to be considered.
This is primarily going to be a processing/kill kit knife. I’d be looking at another knife for general camp chores, prying, batoning firewood etc. I imagine all 3 steels are strong enough to hold up to skinning/caping and quartering. I used to use replaceable blade knife, still do really, but I’m over dealing with used blades. This next knife needs to be light, comfortable in hand and hold an edge. Seems like the altitude is a very popular option. I had kind of ruled it out thinking I’d prefer something with a more comfortable handle like the other 3 I mentioned. I’ll try to find an altitude locally to handle a bit.

sndmn11

WKR
This is primarily going to be a processing/kill kit knife. I’d be looking at another knife for general camp chores, prying, batoning firewood etc. I imagine all 3 steels are strong enough to hold up to skinning/caping and quartering. I used to use replaceable blade knife, still do really, but I’m over dealing with used blades. This next knife needs to be light, comfortable in hand and hold an edge. Seems like the altitude is a very popular option. I had kind of ruled it out thinking I’d prefer something with a more comfortable handle like the other 3 I mentioned. I’ll try to find an altitude locally to handle a bit.
There are more options available in that steel than the Altitude, I personally would choose a full handle over the Altitude but it certainly is not usable.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I have the new version of the Benchmade steep country. I’ve only had it long enough to process a couple of turkeys but really like it so far. IMO it’s going to be hard to beat for a fixed blade knife with a full size handle.

Oregonboy

WKR
I have the argali and it's extremely comfortable in hand and the blade stays plenty sharp. Highly recommend.

Buck197

WKR
I recently picked up a brand new bench made altitude black in s90v.. I am very very impressed with the steel, it holds a extremely good edge. I reckon any of the SV steels would be up to the task of breaking down any animal, and perform well. I would suggest the s90v because it has better edge retention
of the 3, however I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

on a side note, the ergonomics of the altitude fit my hands good, and the jimping has a lot of grip; placed in critical and usable areas.

weighs 2.5oz total with sheath
I'm running BM M4 steel, which I believe is very similar, but sv90 is better corrosion resistance by a good bit. Nice knife your carrying. I second what this guy says.

Buck197

WKR
I'm running BM M4 steel, which I believe is very similar, but sv90 is better corrosion resistance by a good bit. Nice knife your carrying. I second what this guy says.
The SV30 PERSONALLY I'd skip it and spend a little more and get the sv90, you'll appreciate the difference in sharpening for yrs, is my understanding. The sv,30 is good steel, but once you step above, it's really hard to look back. I guess kind of like once you have a helluva custom rifle built, it's sure be hard to go buy a used savage 99 to deer hunt with, not impossible, just harder..

I have started buying all benchmade and take advantage of their lifesharp program. I have 4 fixed blades and a few folders. I just ship a few of them back to get sharpened at a time, usually after hunting season, and rotate the others in. I haven’t sharpened a knife in several years thanks to benchmade. I have the steep country and the saddle mountain skinner. The altitude will be my next knife.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I did go check out the saddle mountain skinner with the s90v as well as the steep country today. I actually preferred the steep country in hand. They were display knives out of their sheaths. I was surprised that the s90v blade had little chips out of the blade edge on the belly. I’m wondering if the new 28 deg factory edge on that s90V not going to be as durable. I don’t believe the altitude has that edge. The steep country blade profile is nice and it was super sharp. I’m now leaning steep country for the $$ out of the benchmade choices. I believe the SV35N is a slight upgrade to the s30v so the Argali is still in the running.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I think the s30v is too hard. If you let it get too dull it's a nightmare to true up. 35 seems to be the sweet spot for edge retention, durability and being reasonably easy to sharpen. The argali knives are top notch also!

Manakh

FNG
S90v should be most difficult to sharpen but hold the edge the longest.

My answer would depend on your sharpening skills and what you have to sharpen with. Unless you send it in to get sharpened then go benchmade all the way!!

I have whetstones and diamond stones if I'm lazy that can handle way tougher stuff then s90v so my choice was super simple... I went with a Benchmade altitude!!! I have kitchen knives that are much harder steel so no big deal for me to sharpen it. I can get that thing from dull to razor in a few minutes, re profiling would take a bit tho.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Benchmade Altitude and the S90V Saddle Mountain Skinner. Both are great and hold an edge for a long time. Both work better if you touch up the edge as you go. They both still shaved after skinning, gutting, and quartering a bear.

Both are well designed and where easy to grip even when covered in bear fat.

For edge holding, the S90V should easily win. Benchmade does not go for supper high hardness, which helps with toughness. I still worry about snapping a blade though (and will not get a Kestrel due to how hard they get them). That said, the Saddle Mountain Skinner has held up to battoning spruce. If they made one in 3V I would buy it as a general use knife.

For skinning the Saddle Mountain is nice, but if only taking one knife the Altitude wins.

The Argali knives are really nice, at some point I want to try one and see how its S35VN performs compared to S90V.