Argali Knives?

Aviator

WKR
What’s your thoughts and opinions on Argali Knives? I’ve been thinking about a Sawtooth.

I have only had the Serac in S35 and I was less than impressed. I really liked the shape and handle but the edge retention was simply awful. It went from shaving sharp to quite dull in less than a javelina. Same story when I did a mule deer: dull in less than half an animal.

The Magnacut Sawtooth should probably be a bit better.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm glad I moved on from the serac. My current knife quartered up an entire elk and then some but could still shave hairs at the end. Night and day difference.

OP
A

Aviator

WKR
What’s your current knife? Another knife I’ve given consideration to is the UINTA hunter knife and the MKC stoned goat.

What’s your current knife? Another knife I’ve given consideration to is the UINTA hunter knife and the MKC stoned goat.
TJ Schwarz Confidante. It's not the lightest knife (~3.5-4oz) but it feels good in the hand and seems to work well thus far.

Drenalin

WKR.
I liked the Serac a lot, as far as size and blade shape. I don't get along well with S35 steel, but if they offered it in Magnacut, I'd buy another. If they offered it Magnacut with orange handles, I'd buy two. @Brad@Argali

I had a Uinta Hunter and liked the shape and really liked the scalloped handle. Unfortunately, the handle itself was short for my hands and I sold it without using it on an animal. The Uinta I had used AEB-L steel, which isn't as fancy as most companies are using these days, but it's pretty easy to maintain the edge yourself.

I really like my carbon. The size, shape, weight and edge retention is all very nice. I have a MKC Stoned Goat and like the carbon a bit more. I would buy a magnacut but own about 50 knives. I’m really just stalling.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have only had the Serac in S35 and I was less than impressed. I really liked the shape and handle but the edge retention was simply awful. It went from shaving sharp to quite dull in less than a javelina. Same story when I did a mule deer: dull in less than half an animal.

The Magnacut Sawtooth should probably be a bit better.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'm glad I moved on from the serac. My current knife quartered up an entire elk and then some but could still shave hairs at the end. Night and day difference.
Hey Mike,

That performance you got from the Serac is less than impressive. It might just be that there is something up with your knife specifically. I've personally cut up quite a few elk and deer with our Serac knife and we have A LOT of customers that have done the same without issue and with great edge retention. I'd be happy to get you a new one to see if it works better for you. Shoot me a DM if you're interested.

Magnacut does have a bit better edge retention than S35, but there is a lot more than steel that impacts edge retention.

I have the Carbon and it’s been nothing but exceptional. I have been able to skin and quarter multiple bull elk without concerns of a dull knife edge. Also, skinned and quartered half of my Alaskan moose with it (guide did the other half) and never had an issue. I always resharpened the blade after each use simply to always have a sharp edge when needed. It’s my go to knife.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Carbon and Serac, like both of them very much! Edge retention has been excellent. The biggest issue is deciding which one I want to use!

I also have a Serac and have had no complaints at all. We did a full mule deer, cow elk and part of a dall sheep with one. I did some very minor runs over a stone/ceramic rod between each and it’s done great. It needed some more love on the sharpening front after the sheep, but I was very impressed it ran that long without more attention from me on the sharpening front.