Are there any “cool” sun or boonie hats out there?

UncleBone

WKR
I posted earlier in the thread. Post #13 Henschel Hats out of MO when I bought mine a few years back.around
All their hats that I have seen in stores were made in China. Is that the case with only some?

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Those actually look really nice. They say no flop, is that true? Hate a floppy brim, and where we live it's windy.
I purchased a Shelta hat and gloves for an antelope hunt. We road quads a lot out of camp to save wear and tear on the pickups. That hat was outstanding. Not one issue with it on my quad in the desert wind. Will replace it if it ever disappears.

+1 on the Shelta. It's my go-to boating hat, holding up to "no flop" up to about 30 mph. Plus it floats, and doesn't soak up with water. Like it so much I've gifted to others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Since you mentioned propensity for carcinomas... it just might behoove you to get like one of those Aussie Outback hats that comes with the drop down curtain along the back to also protect your neck man.

When in the field, bring some Neutrogena Baby sunscreen. It's like a mini deodorant stick type of deal. That's what I use to do tip of nose, ears, cheeks, and back of neck when I'm out in the field. Definitely DO NOT forget these areas of your head. Especially ears and lips. They get "crispy" faster then everything else.

You could try one of these. I think this guy needs to take a shit or something though. lol

Capture.JPG

I got my favorite hat from a gas station at a mountain pass summit, many years ago. Just a thin cotton “rip stop” boonie style hat.

Columbia stuff doesn’t get enough love on Rokslide. I don’t know how many Columbia boonie hats I have but I tend to find them randomly stuffed into tackle boxes and rod lockers in my boat. They are great but I’ve moved on from boonies.

Sun shirt with a hood is awesome, pop it over your favorite ball cap and you’re set. Little sunscreen on the nose with the hood and normal hat brim, you’re good.

If you’re really getting hit with glare off the water throw a buff on to cover your face

Fatcamp

WKR
Columbia stuff doesn’t get enough love on Rokslide. I don’t know how many Columbia boonie hats I have but I tend to find them randomly stuffed into tackle boxes and rod lockers in my boat. They are great but I’ve moved on from boonies.

Sun shirt with a hood is awesome, pop it over your favorite ball cap and you’re set. Little sunscreen on the nose with the hood and normal hat brim, you’re good.

If you’re really getting hit with glare off the water throw a buff on to cover your face

I'm doing this more and more. Gives me good coverage and doesn't mess with my life jacket.

TX_Diver

WKR

I've started switching most of my base layers to ones with hoods for this reason. Really nice when you're sitting too and in the early mornings/late evenings.

For the OP I'm using a sitka boonie this year. Only reason for the boonie vs the hat and hood is the boonie doesn't interfere with the bowstring on my recurve.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunbody makes really nice quality Mexican palm hats, wide variety of crowns and brim sizes. You can get eyelets, stampede strings and some other add ons if one wants

This one provides good protection in the hot sun (6" brim)

UmTqGxY.png

Wear fishing, canoeing- anytime I'm going to be in the sun for long periods

u6dAcAp.jpg