Are Carbon barrels more “picky” than steel for factory ammo?

I've only had 2 carbon barrels and i'm 1 for 2.

What @Wapiti1 and @Ryan Avery say makes sense to me. Seems it's more that your odds are higher to get a picky (not accurate) barrel and you've eliminated the opportunity to try to fine tune a load for a picky barrel.

If there were steel barrels with sporter contours that had additional meat on the muzzle end for threads readily available off the shelf like there is carbons, carbon barrels would be completely obsolete for anything but aesthetics IMO.

I had serious issues with the one CF barrel I owned, after that I called sever barrel makers that also offer CF.
They all said what Ryan eluded to, there's more chance of cf wrapped barrels having issues.
The way I understood it was that the pencil thin blank can have stress induced during wrapping and actualy cause variations in bore diameter as well.
Bartlein is the safest bet but pretty much saves zero weight
Actually you can save a bit - not as much as with a Proof but you do end up a bit lighter if considering contours.

I have twin 7MM-08 builds with #4 contour Bart CF wrapped barrels. When they where all done - crowned/chambered and cut to proper length both weigh almost exactly the same as a 2b contour barrel I had on another rifle. So you are right not a huge weight reduction, but I basically have a #4 contour barrel that weighs what their 2b weighs.

With that being said, I really do like the look of the CF barrels, both mine shoot fantastic so that makes me happy but I doubt I'll be doing anymore CF. Lots of great stainless barrels in good contours, with the Bart 2b being my favorite for a lighter weight build.

Flyjunky

WKR
Hey all, new to the forum, appreciate all the great advice on here!

I’m putting together a custom rifle build for long(ish) range out west hunting and I’ve had several reputable people in the industry tell me that if you’re not handloading, steel barrels tend to be less picky than carbon for factory ammo (even high quality factory). They said this was especially evident in magnum calibers. I want a 300 WM.

I have 3 kids 4 and under so unfortunately no time for hand loading at this point…

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!
I would no longer take advice from the people who told you that....utter nonsense!

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Now that LongRifles Inc has perfected their deep fluting process, the need for CF barrels is a lot less.

Anytime you do anything to a barrel, you risk inducing or releasing stress. It’s why benchrest guns are often just straight cylinders.

A good barrel from a premium shop is generally good to go, whether carbon, straight steel, or whatever.

Stalker69

WKR
One thing i wonder about carbon is the the steel barrel steal heats up after several shots, but you can't feel the exterior of barrel and check to see if its cooled down. And personally I don't care for the looks of them.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Factory Nosler 140gr AccuBond 280 Ackley, Anti Action and Proof Carbon Sendero contour barrel.9BD2C8E4-4A6F-425B-9D1A-6338D446542D.jpeg

Cold bore was also on a clean barrel

If the company used sound practices to produce the barrel, the external material shouldn't matter

Wrench

WKR
Buy good parts and the odds are in your favor. They've all sold a dud and they all stay in business because they produce good results 99.9% of the time.