Arcteryx advice

Hovenator

WKR
New to Arcteryx. I recently purchased a like new Atom LT hoody in Conifer and love it. Now I would like to get a Gore-Tex shell (or other waterproof shell) to go with it. Any ideas on which one’s to look for? I was looking at a nice Alpha FL, but I’m unsure…..

Any info and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Trr15

WKR
Arcteryx makes great stuff. Not sure of your intended purpose, but I’ve had an alpha SV for years and it’s awesome. It’s a hardcore goretex shell, overkill for daily wear though.

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

WKR
Just looking for a quality wet weather layer that doesn’t get wet feeling on the inside. Something good for use in the mountains and forests of Western NC.

ndforbes

FNG
I have the Alpha AR for climbing and backcountry skiing. I love it! It is only a few grams more than the FL but the larger chest pockets really come in handy.

Vandy321

WKR
I have a Beta SV and love it...bought it for the added durability (I think it's 80D on the main jacket, but don't quote me) and better gore-tex (pro) over their other offerings. The vents are huge and it is hands down the most bomber rain shell you can buy. Treat it right and it'll last you 10 years.

Alpha SV and Beta SV are the same jackets, with the exception of then front pockets on the Alpha are placed higher to he worn with a climbing harness. The Beta SV is more regular pocket placement.

If you wait for deals, you can find them for $50% off or so on Steep and Cheap

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2010ish Alpha LT and it is a great rain/storm jacket but I have noticed that when it gets cold....15F or less it can make a little noise. The material gets a little crinkle sound to it. Not a deal braker by any means. It has not been an issue while hunting for me but it is something I have noticed with the jacket. Great venting with pit zips and an little stretch in the fabric makes it a favorite of mine with plenty of room to layer. 11 years old and still goes with me in my pack every time just in case. I have a few other Arcteryx items like the Proton LT jacket and Atom LT vest and have been more then happy with each one. Good luck.

Alpha FL (had one) is light and bomber but lacks pockets/pit zip. To me the AR version hits the right balance of weight/weather resistance/features.

These are very technical shells and are a bit stiff, noisy, and light on creature comforts. They are made to perform at a light weight and wouldn't be my first choice for casual wear, unlike the atom line which is great for daily comfort (but you'll kill the insulation loft in a hurry if you use em casually).

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

WKR
Kinda look like the Alpha AR or LT might be a better choice? I‘m basically looking for a rain/snow shell for hiking and backpacking that doesn’t clam up on the inside and can stand a little abuse. I‘ve read great reviews about the Zeta line as well…..

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

WKR
How are their shells sized? Do they run big, small, or exact size? I saw someone has a Beta SV for sale and says that medium fits like a large. I am 5’11”, 170 lbs., and a 41 chest for reference.

TxAg

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Zeta AR in size large, just about the same size as you (5'11" 180). I could probably swing a medium but definitely wouldn't be able to layer under it at all. I can comfortably fit a puffy under my large but still cinch it down to fit good with just a shirt on.

OP
Hovenator

Hovenator

WKR
Great, thanks! It can be hard to know how different brands fit. Wish all this “high-end” gear wasn’t made in China!

joshbazz

FNG
How are their shells sized? Do they run big, small, or exact size? I saw someone has a Beta SV for sale and says that medium fits like a large. I am 5’11”, 170 lbs., and a 41 chest for reference.
You should be fine with medium (I'm same size) with layers underneath. I could wear a small with a fleece mid layer underneath, but no puffy.

joelzilla

FNG
New to Arcteryx. I recently purchased a like new Atom LT hoody in Conifer and love it. Now I would like to get a Gore-Tex shell (or other waterproof shell) to go with it. Any ideas on which one’s to look for? I was looking at a nice Alpha FL, but I’m unsure…..

Any info and opinions are greatly appreciated!
You pretty much get what you pay for. Arcteryx is well made and has a very pleasing fit for those who need an athletic fit. North Face and Patagonia seem to be a little boxy and I have to size down for those brands.

jd1006

WKR
Alpha LT LEAF will be my next rain jacket for hunting. I have the pants, and they are outstanding. I’m not sure I’d rely on the arcteryx outer layer for regular hunting due to the noise factor. They also have a resell of used gear on their website that is worth tracking. I have the Alpha FL as an everyday rain jacket. Packs down tiny and weights nothing. Pit zips would have been nice, but I’ve rarely needed them for everyday use.