Archery Setups to Minimize Frontal Shots

Gerbdog

WKR
Ha, no kidding!
I can't imagine using that strategy. Heck, I've had at least 3 guys I was calling for get busted just from turning their head with a ball cap on.

Those elk coming to the call are looking for you and tuned in to pick up any movement.

IMO, it's a huge mistake to think you can move with an elk coming in within 80 yds [or so] of you.
mmm... was the brim on the cap flat? If the brim wasnt flat, those elk gonna bust you everytime, no movement needed

serious note, i agree, cant be moving when that elks coming , if you can see the elk he can see you, and he's evolved to catch any movement at all.

IF that elks on the way over, you had better have had your arrow nocked, your bow in place and ready to draw and your eyes are just below your brim watching for the moment to come to full draw....

anything else and your asking for "elk busted me and held up and started barking at me"

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm sending it frontal. Shot my bull last year at 48yds frontal. The arrow passed through coming out belly to back leg breaking off the broadhead and rear of arrow staying inside. That was with 2 blade 7/8" Magnus killer bee broadhead. Shooting Ironwills now, but still 2 blade with no bleeder for max pen. Bull last year made it about a 140yds running down hill. Have also taken deer with frontal with no issues.
man your a sharp shooter... that elk would have to be standing still watching the sky for me to take a 50 yard frontal shot comfortably.

At the range? Yea for sure..... but... oof i dont know if im that confident on an animal in the woods

Don't call "at" elk. Like said previously, direct your calls in other directions. When you call right at an elk, they know exactly which tree the call came from. Once that happens, you're done

I agree mostly. But as a solo hunter caller and shooter, I want that reckless bull to know exactly where I'm at. I want him in my lap! I call in such a way that in recent years, they don't hang up and ive gotten them in my lap.