Archery Setup for First Elk Hunt

Frogfan

FNG
Gentlemen,

I am planning my first elk hunt for September of this year and thinking about my current archery setup. I have harvested many animals with this setup, including several P&Y whitetails, over the years and have a great deal of confidence in it. While I believe having confidence in your equipment is paramount I understand I have no base knowledge of archery elk hunting. I would welcome any comment or suggestions to help getting started. Below is my current setup:

Bowtech Guardian #70 - 29" draw
Octane Hostage Rest
Vital Bow Gear Angle 3-pin Sight
Easton Axis with Blazer Vanes - 340
NAP Spitfire 100gr.
Bowtech Detachable Quiver - 5 arrrow
Scott Release

Several changes I have pondered thus far:

1.Changing or trying a fixed blade broadhead such as Slicktrick's or Muzzy Trocar's. However, I have supreme confidence in the Spitfires as I have been shooting them since the mid 1990's and have never had any issues with expansion or lack of penetration.

2.Changing to a fixed 2-piece quiver. While the removable Bowtech is great for tree-stand hunting it is not extremely sturdy.

3.Moving to a 5-pin or adjustable single pin sight as my current setup is 20, 30 and 40 yard pins.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Clint

Dan-o

FNG
Gentlemen,

I am planning my first elk hunt for September of this year and thinking about my current archery setup. I have harvested many animals with this setup, including several P&Y whitetails, over the years and have a great deal of confidence in it. While I believe having confidence in your equipment is paramount I understand I have no base knowledge of archery elk hunting. I would welcome any comment or suggestions to help getting started. Below is my current setup:

Octane Hostage Rest
NAP Spitfire 100gr.
Scott Release

1.Changing or trying a fixed blade broadhead such as Slicktrick's or Muzzy Trocar's. However, I have supreme confidence in the Spitfires as I have been shooting them since the mid 1990's and have never had any issues with expansion or lack of penetration.

2.Changing to a fixed 2-piece quiver. While the removable Bowtech is great for tree-stand hunting it is not extremely sturdy.

3.Moving to a 5-pin or adjustable single pin sight as my current setup is 20, 30 and 40 yard pins.

Clint

Clint, the only thing I would strongly recommend is the change to a fixed blade broadhead. I'm a huge fan of good mechanicals for deer, antelope, and other game, but Elk have thick hides, much thicker than whitetail. While a mechanical may get the job done, I personally prefer a strong, sharp, and durable cut on contact head. Montecs, strikers, solids, etc. are popular choices.

Going to a five pin sight is nice, but not necessary. I personally use a 5 pin. I think that depends on the range you feel comfortable shooting out to.

Hope that helps,

Dan

bz_711

WKR
Gentlemen,

Octane Hostage Rest
NAP Spitfire 100gr.
Scott Release

Clint

Your setup will work just fine - no changes needed. But obviously, the more confident you are in your set up the better. Two recommendations I have based on what I learned year 1 of elk hunting, and changed before going back year 2:

-attached 2 piece quiver. I had detached quiver first year, what a pain as I had no idea how many times I'd knock and arrow and then remove back to quiver...I was only used to putting an arrow on once I got to treestand and removing when I was done. Most terrain does not allow for hiking safely with a knocked arrow.

-long range sight or more pins. Even if you'd never shoot at animal past 40 or 50 yds, having longer range pins for practice only made me better, and sure wouldn't hurt to have 60, 70+ range if follow up shot is needed. Ends up where I have seen most elk is the dark timbers and range is severely limited anyway, typically under 40yrds...but overall just good idea to expand your confident range over the what's typically needed for whitetail.

Good Luck - Have fun - and report back with story/pics post hunt!

I think you have the needed changes figured out already. You didn't mention what state you were hunting in, i bring this up, due to Idaho does not allow you to shoot mechanical broad heads.

I shoot 100 Grain Exodus broad heads and they fly well, shot a bull at 30 yards this year, Easton Deep Six FMJ 400 with the Exodus, complete pass through, and busted a rib on the exit side!

PS: As Matt said, practice out to 60-70 yards, it helps a ton!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

KMT

WKR
I would recommend fixed blade broadheads. Everything else is fine.

HOT ROD

WKR
I shot my first bull this year. I used the g5 t3 on him. It was a 25 yard broad side shot. The shot was perfect. I didn't get a pass through. No blood trail. He only went 40 yards. Will never use a mechanical again on elk. Fixed blade for elk. Mechanical for deer and antelope....

wapitibob

WKR
Spitfire 125 are the best broadhead I've used on Elk. Thunderhead 125 if I have to use fixed.
60# 420 gr arrow

I like a removable quiver.
I use a single pin set at 30. I haven't shot at a Bull over 35 yards in 40 + years of killing them.

You really don't need to change anything. Out what you have I would only change the sight but that is just preference and I like a few more pins.

RallySquirrel

Lil-Rokslider
I took spitfire pro's out on my first elk hunt. Had one literally blow up into 4 pieces on a bull. Went to fixed blades and will never go back. All that said, I met a guide who swears by his mechanicals. I personally feel like elk take full advantage of Murphy's Law.

Also agree that you might think about expanding your shooting range. You're limiting yourself at 40 yards. You rig will do much more than that.

cocky84

WKR
I used to shoot mechaicals and decided to switch to montec for elk. In my opinion it is the strongest because it is cut from a solid piece of metal, no welds.
Well..... I shoot 29"draw 76# and 440grain arrow. I shot an elk broad side, hit shoulder. Went in 3-4". When i found arrow there were 2 blades sheared off and the third broke.
Moral of the story is if you hit the shoulder it doesn't matter if your shooting fixed or mechanical, and if you hit where you are supposed to you could shoot a field tip.
Shoot whatever to feel more accurate with. I like detachable quiver because i like to set a lot. To each his own.
I also have an adjustable 3 pin spott hogg. When it is locked with the top pin on 25 yrds i have a 25, 40, 50 yrd pin. When i unlock it i use the top pin as a single pin that adjust up to 120yrds.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
Clint -

Save the money on your bow/setup.... your gear is fine. Elk with a bow statistically are almost all shot inside 40 yards (here comes the guy below saying he takes them at 80).

Invest in yourself by either getting into fantastic shape with good grocery and nutrition, or losing however many body pounds you want to shed from your pack setup. The further off the beaten path you can trek - the more fun you will have. Your gear is just fine.

ps - if you are itching for a new piece of gear just to make it fun to shop for some new stuff - 12 bucks for some Badger sunscreen and 100 bucks for a pair of Zeal Optics shades are always clutch in the high country.

good luck from colorado,
dm

OP
F

Frogfan

FNG
I wanted to thank everyone for the responses.

I am going to shoot several different broadheads out of my current set up and see what flies good.

Thanks Again,

Clint

PA 5-0

WKR
Clint, I would consider a heavier arrow. Elk are huge and penetration is critical. Think of shooting at a horse. I like an arrow/broadhead set up at 450-500gr for elk. I also have a Bowtec Guardian as my whitetail bow. Love it!! My elk bow is my older Mathews Ultra Max that I still shoot full aluminum XX75's out of at 495gr. I would also consider a 50yd pin. I seems like those bulls know exactly where the 50yd line is. Best of luck Brother, Dan