Archery Range Finder

treillw

WKR
Now that my wife is archery hunting, she should really have her own range finder. I already have a good one for long range rifle shooting. What would be a good inexpensive one for her to use during archery season?

Thanks!

Edit:
How does this one look?

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Just don't buy the Dog, that thing is a nightmare with the huge circle reticle.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
How much are you looking to spend?

As much as necessary to get an archery range finder that will properly do it's job. Hopefully that isn't $500.

It only needs to range to 150 yards MAX accurately and reliably.

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a sig 1200 and I like it and it works well in my opinion, it was like $200. But my first one was a bushnell the truth edition and it was like 120 and had angle compensation and was great for bowhunting but that is it, no bueno past 100 yards.

Do her a favor and get one with a red led reticle. The black is darn near impossible to read early morning or late night.

Sig Kilo 1600 has this (be sure the specific model you buy does) for less than $300.

87TT

WKR
X2 on a Sig Kilo 1600. I just got one and love it is an under statement. $249 on Fleabay. Super clear red reticle. Ranges way out there if needed but being able to read it in low light is what makes it shine. I have two Nikons including the Arrow ID but no comparison.

Read1t48

WKR
Aside from a red reticle being recommended, be sure it ranges to tenths of a yard. I used a Vortex 1500 but it only goes to the nearest yard such as 45 yards rather than 45.6 yards.

Tenths is actually a big deal at longer distances especially for most women because they are shooting a slower arrow because of draw length, etc.

Sig is awesome. Fast. Reads to tenths. Very accurate. Consistent.

No gripes with vortex ranger 1300. Red readout (huge help imo), HCD and easy to use. Plus vortex warranty covers electronics not just glass. Haven’t compared it to any others though

solomtnhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I know some people think Halo is a lower company. But i've had good luck with the Halo series. Wallyworld sells the 450, which maxes at 450yd for about $80. Plus is comes with the angle compensation too. Think BassPro sells some other yardages too between $120-$175.

87TT

WKR
Anything without a red readout is 2nd class. I had two without it and will never go back.

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll vote for the vortex rangers. Lifetime warranty is great. Had a Leupold and the display started going out. They said it’s to be expected over time and offered to sell me a new one at 40% off. I took them up on it and didn’t even open the package up. Just sold it straight away and never looked back.
As for the comment above about needing to range in tenths of yards. I disagree. Sure women are shooting slower speeds most of the time, but if 1 yard is the difference between a lethal shot and not that’s more of a left right issue to me orrrrr someone shouldn’t be shooting that far. Not saying your wife can’t shoot, but I don’t agree with needing 10ths of yards.

Vortex ranger 1300 here - really like it so far. I don't think having a tenths readout is really that necessary but maybe that's a big deal to you. If she misses the vitals because she was off a half yard, I'd be surprised...

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you want to use it more than 2 yeArs the sig or vortex would be great choices. If you want to use it 2 years leupold makes a nice rangefinder. Just don’t expect them to stand behind their product.