Archery Pronghorn

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoy planning you antelope hunt. I'll try to answer you questions from my perspective.

Pre-daylight is the best time to get into you blind. Antelope don't see in the dark as well as deer do and are not usually near the water when yo get there. I've never sat in an antelope blind from dark thirty to dark thirty.

Plan on being cold in the AM and hot midday on. I drive to my blind way before daylight so I have a big jug of ice water. getting breeze through the windows helps but be careful not to backlight yourself.

Always a good idea to minimize you scent, however antelope are not nearly as spooked when they get down wind as deer and elk are.

Where I live I live I feel safe keeping my blind up with my chair inside. If I didn't I would build a brush blind and still leave my chair inside. I put my blind up 2-3 weeks prior to sitting in it if possible. If was putting a blind during season I would put it the night before I planned to hunt in it.

I plan for shooting in the AM so I set my blind where the sun wont shine through the windows in the morning. I also place it as far from the water as I can and still have the entire water hole within my shooting range. If you blind hasn't been there a while the antelope will be later to drink and will drink as far away from the blind as they get.

There can be crowds for sure, depends on the area. look for water hole that are not by a road this helps.

I have had a rattle snake in the blind with two times. both came inside while I was in the blind. It sucks when a snake is between you and the only door. If your blind stays up at night bang on it when you get there to make it rattle back at you. check really good with a light and don't leave in the blind that can hide a snake.

OP
C

ChaseH

FNG
I’ve seen a few guided archery pronghorn hunts I could actually afford. I’ve thought about doing a guided hunt for the first one to learn and gain experience. Is that a good idea or not necessary?

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen a few guided archery pronghorn hunts I could actually afford. I’ve thought about doing a guided hunt for the first one to learn and gain experience. Is that a good idea or not necessary?
They’ll pop you in a blind over water and you’ll get a shot at one. If you kill it, you’ll gain a mount for the wall, but I wouldn’t say you’d gain experience in the DIY category.