Archery Confidence: Searching for Swagger

I read the whole post, and I asked because I had the same issue up until I started doing all my own bow work and building my own arrows.

I'd venture to say without an understanding of your bow, as soon as something little is off, (say your timing is altered by the string stretching and all of a sudden today you're shooting 3in high when you just shot it perfectly yesterday) it destroys all your confidence in your setup.

While my experience isn't yours, I don't think you'll find the confidence you're looking for without building your own arrows and working on your own bow.
Yep. I’ll say it again. Everyone I know with a great feel for their abilities works on their stuff. Everyone else just uses a bow

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had 4 minutes before work. Sent 2 arrows at 50
150fcf1c24aedf169b9f2b8024309629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have struggled over the years too. I deal with TP a bit as well. Just didn't shoot as well with my last bow, although when I was on it was great, when off, not so much. Im a year round shooter for the most part, but would get to elk camp and sometimes struggled to hit a 16 x 16 block at longer ranges. Some years not an issue and some years I felt terrible.

Picked up a new bow, actually an entirely new setup this year and it was like a light switch. Same brand but 9 years newer tech and it just sits on target. If I do my part with release it's just an absolute tack driver and my confidence has soared. I still jack shots up, but feel much better about it. Have started shooting local 3d's again after a long hiatus and shot the Oklahoma TAC and am shooting TAC in SD as well. Don't really have any special archery hunts this fall as we are hunting deer in CO for the first time with a rifle, but hope to get in the treestand locally and get that mojo back.

Glad you are figuring it out. It's definitely a long journey with a lot of bumps in the road.

Attachments

• Inline3d.jpg
    Inline3d.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have struggled over the years too. I deal with TP a bit as well. Just didn't shoot as well with my last bow, although when I was on it was great, when off, not so much. Im a year round shooter for the most part, but would get to elk camp and sometimes struggled to hit a 16 x 16 block at longer ranges. Some years not an issue and some years I felt terrible.

Picked up a new bow, actually an entirely new setup this year and it was like a light switch. Same brand but 9 years newer tech and it just sits on target. If I do my part with release it's just an absolute tack driver and my confidence has soared. I still jack shots up, but feel much better about it. Have started shooting local 3d's again after a long hiatus and shot the Oklahoma TAC and am shooting TAC in SD as well. Don't really have any special archery hunts this fall as we are hunting deer in CO for the first time with a rifle, but hope to get in the treestand locally and get that mojo back.

Glad you are figuring it out. It's definitely a long journey with a lot of bumps in the road.

Good for you man. That’s encouraging. Hopefully the improvement continues for us both!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
d6d3135f47e676c566ef2e6218aca44d.jpg

Double checking 20yds at work
cdfa4db0357986f94975a7a10a5c92d9.jpg

Gonna have to go to multiple tacks or single arrow shots

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
7e040e240a511d3e6f74d17ee9a9e2e4.jpg

I’ll maybe shoot more when I get home. I did pull one arrow that wasn’t social media worthy (so I could show the thumb tack)

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok. Let’s see if I can explain this.

Step 1 dial the Canyon Pounder to zero (full up).
Gang adjust the single pin to sight in at 20. See posts above.

Step 2 dial down until zeroed at 50 yards
This was 50 when I got home.
(Adjusted for Left/Right)
95cc7b4051d3e24b8390a0b0a63034c2.jpg

Once 50 is dialed in. Looks at the Reference Scale Selection Table
2bf780bdbc876354e5347e48b2bedb8e.jpg

My reference number at 50 yds is about 29.5
Tape #12 ref number is 29 (Red for 50 yards)

To verify, I dialed down to 67.5 (Blue corresponds with 80 yards)

70da60338a9cdd6a4da733763fcdf805.jpg

Shot at 80
d31dd52bed45a5deb5aebf085296e781.jpg

Not amazing, but… I think I’m pretty safe to shoot sight tape #12.

Maybe one more round this weekend to double check.

The RX-7 is doing it’s part!!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is literally why I chose the Canyon Pounder with 5 pins. I don’t want to fiddle with the sights… I don’t even want to THINK about the sights when an animal is less than 60 yards.
I set the sight tape last night.
Verified it today with an arrow at 47 yds. Hit dead center 3/4” to the right.
But… I haven’t sighted in the fixed pins yet.

I ranged the fence at the edge of the field.
Rolled the sight tape to 40 yds.
The Tom saw my decoy and charged me!
When he got to about 15-17 yds, I dropped the decoy and shot.

8f66acda737687f9937acfd1c9d56535.jpg

fb61e3dfe4cf986fe7ee76d44128a596.jpg

3 set-ups.
4 Tom’s in bow range.
1 shot fired.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alrighty.
Sighted in the fixed pins. Not perfect, but close enough to move forward and close enough to kill.

My first “downside” to the Canyon Pounder. The bases of the 20 yd pin and the 30 yd pin are touching, so the 30 yd pin is off and will remain so. Maybe 1” or 1.5” off?

The photos are my 60 yd fixed pin. Windy. Possibly a little “pass and pull” shooting technique.

7034195390bfda54f8dcab226d620e1f.jpg

The Hoyt just keeps driving. There is a lot of freedom to play with the sight when the bow remains consistent

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still shooting. Hoyt keeps doing it’s part.
This is 5 at 50 yds.
3 inside the folded playing card.
4a89a98cd03760033c16e79709e27cb8.jpg

It looks better if you remove the flier.
#thisaintsocialmedia
6ba6b61b42ac4c59c8e13108b3da0c82.jpg

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
3afa5ab0e1f3f20eeedf273a0914ccb0.jpg

Shot my first bear. Equipment was solid. It would be tough to “prove” that the bow and sights “performed” as the shot was only 16 yds, but… this thread is about my confidence in my equipment.

I was concerned about the wind.
I was concerned about shot angles.
I was concerned about my colorblind eyes tracking a bear
I was NOT concerned about the Hoyt or the OA sight.

We’re moving in the right direction!

For me, consistent practice was key in my archery swagger path. That and treating it like a weight room. I am always practicing to improve. That meant stretching the distance until 100yds. Then it became to start every session at 100yds and keep 6 arrows in 6 inches.

Then I had an injury set me back to square one, now I’m starting with 50yds again and hope to be at 75 before the fall. First shots of a session, the goal was 6 arrows in a 6” zone, then move back 10yds. Sometimes I had to do 5 yds at a time.
What injury did you deal with? I have some shoulder problems that started again last year. Rehabbed it pretty good, but recently had to start at square one again.

Looking at mouth tabs for this season if I can't be confident with my arm.

SloppyJ

WKR
Nice setup! I shot that RX7 ultra and had to order one immediately. In total disbelief it came in within 3mo. Left hand and 80# draw. It's a hell of a bow. I second everyone who's said to start working on your own equipment. Buy a press and you can build a draw board very cheaply with a 2x12, worm gear winch, and a few parts. Enjoy the learning and the experience. In my opinion, skip the bitz jig and go for an Arizona archery setup. Super easy and good results. I've had good luck with the Victory RIP TKO arrows with ethics stainless halfouts.

What injury did you deal with? I have some shoulder problems that started again last year. Rehabbed it pretty good, but recently had to start at square one again.

Looking at mouth tabs for this season if I can't be confident with my arm.
Easton Avis 300 shattered into my hand…not fun. I posted about it here:

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just a quick update. The string has stretched. It’s past time to get everything readjusted. Shot last night with my son. 50-60-70-80 and 100
Groups were looking really good.

Shot tonight. First 4 arrows at 80 grouped about the size of a baseball. About… maybe 3”-4” right. Made an adjustment and the last 2 arrows were less than a baseball in the center of the target.
That’s probably as good as I’ve ever shot if not the best I’ve shot. Pleased with the results.