archery colorado gmu 12

Bucke13

FNG
Hey all. I got drawn for a unit 12 archery tag this year. Now i've been reading about it being very crowded. Is this true? or does it pertain more to the rifle seasons? I looked at the numbers for last year and saw there was 687 people drawn. I have a hard time believing it would be crowded. Thanks for any help.

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
Ill be out there with you, hopefully it wont be to crowded. Going out in early August to scout for a week. Ill be following to see what folks say.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hunted it, but have since moved on. There are elk there, just like most areas in Colorado. It’s very crowded and there’s a reason it is almost an otc area. My advice, try to find some areas behind private and areas that are hard to access. Oh, and shoot the first tan animal you see! Good luck!

Last edited:

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted it, but have since moved on. There are elk there, just like most areas in Colorado. It’s very crowded and there’s a reason it is almost an otc area. My advice, try to find some areas behind private and areas that are hard to access. Oh, and shoot the first tan animal you see! Good luck!

Even if it's a horse?

mlgc20

WKR
Keep in mind that there will be another 100 tags for muzzleloader during part of archery season. Also, there are a handful of rifle tags in that unit for the early deer seasons. But, I'm guessing the crowding is during rifle season. There are 4x the number of tags during first rifle versus archery/muzzleloader.

shotgunwilly

Lil-Rokslider
There is also ALOT of rifle bear tags as well as archery and muzzleloaders, plus the domestic sheep that are all over the place, Archery is crowded and rifle is almost ridiculous.

Ucsdryder

WKR
There is also ALOT of rifle bear tags as well as archery and muzzleloaders, plus the domestic sheep that are all over the place, Archery is crowded and rifle is almost ridiculous.

HA! I forgot about the mountain maggots!!! I was coming out of there one year and came around the corner going a little too fast and the road was full of sheep. I couldn’t stop in time, but somehow I missed them all. A few were under the hood of my SUV and must have just squeezed out!

NOTHING will eff up a mountain like a herd of sheep. The cattle are a close second, but those sheep!

cnelk

WKR
During September 2-30, Unit 12 [et al.] has these tags allotted

Archery Elk - 835
ML E/S Elk - 100
ML Cow elk - 85

Archery Deer - 65
ML Buck - 40
ML Doe - 6
Early Rifle - 10

Archery Bear - 500
ML Bear - 250
Rifle Bear - 1000

Thats a total of 2706 tags....

Pretty crowded for a Limited Entry Unit

shotgunwilly

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few lucky moose hunters out and about as well. Small game hunters , twice a year ranchers running cattle on 4 wheelers, Scouters for the next season......etc.

OP
Bucke13

Bucke13

FNG
Ill be out there with you, hopefully it wont be to crowded. Going out in early August to scout for a week. Ill be following to see what folks say.
awesome i'll be out there the day after labor day most likely.

Unit 12 is a good unit for elk hunting, specifically in archery. The vast majority of people will hunt within mile of a road.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
It was a freaking ZOO this year.
Saw more elk on the road at night than anywhere in the forest all season.
Sheep everywhere from sept thru October, even in areas where they're not supposed to be.
Rifle season looked like a wal mart parking lot on black friday.

It was a freaking ZOO this year.
Saw more elk on the road at night than anywhere in the forest all season.
Sheep everywhere from sept thru October, even in areas where they're not supposed to be.
Rifle season looked like a wal mart parking lot on black friday.
The sheep were as bad as I have ever seen in the area. There were lots of areas grazed down to dirt.