Archery backpack hunt spare/ back-up equipment

When heading in for a back pack archery hunt what extra equipment do you guys take in?
Spare release, serving string, broadhead blades, bow multi-tool etc.
What about arrows, a quiver full sufficent or do you throw a couple of stump shooters into the pack some where?
Always want to be prepared for the worst, but when is enough enough.

nphunter

WKR
I just have my normal stuff in my pack, nothing specific for archery but I could do a few things to the bow if needed. I'm not ever more than a half days walk out and figure if something catastrophic happens I can just zip out and get it addressed. We had one bow get dry fired when a nock broke and were able to get it back together with stuff at camp being a little resourceful.

The only thing I would recommend is to have an allen set with you. I carry 5 arrows, if I miss 5 times I feel like I've had my chance and blew it.

(I guess I should add what I always carry) Small paracord, 150lb strength and like 25' of it, sharp folding knife, mole skin, leuko tape, super glue, extra batteries, headlamp, wp matches, lighter, pyro putty, variety of pills. My kill kit also has a fixed-blade knife, game bags with good draw cords and a knife sharpener. If backpacking I have my overnight bag, sleeping bag, pad, tent, stakes and extra food and clothes.

There is plenty of things in the above list to fix a bow if needed, make a loop or drop away cord, replace a cable slider and even make a temp serving repair. With my Allen set I could darn near pull apart and rebuild the entire bow.

Last edited:

tdoublev

FNG
I take a little bit more. I have basically enough to retune if something goes crazy wrong. The synunm bow press is a great portable press, and then Allen wrenches will get me the rest of the way. I use a limb drive rest so I also carry extra d loop material in case that gets snagged on anything and tears. I throw an extra release in the truck but don’t carry it with me. Last year I brought a stump arrow but I’ve invested in one the heavy duty $500 travel cases and I’m not worried about something getting knocked out of tune from travel alone so I don’t think I’ll waste an arrow this year. I only take one quiver of arrows - I only intend to need one of them.

Dennis

WKR
I like to carry extra release, couple nocks, small piece of mole skin, d-loop cord, individual Allen wrenches for my bow, two extra sharp broadheads, one extra judo tip and a little serving or all purpose thread.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I have a spare release, allen wrenches for each size of bolt, some serving material, and enough dloop material to replace the cord on my Hamskea.

I figure if I need to do more than that, I'm going back to the truck to fix my bow, and shoot it at an actual target.

Spare release, loop material/rest cord material, nock, spare broadhead or two, allen wrenches, field point or two. All of these items serve a purpose that can save a hunt. Not a failsafe to keep a hunt going but enough to maybe save one under the right set of circumstances

D-loop string, Allen keys, and release. I have a 5 arrow quiver that are all broadheads but I’ll bring a field point in case I need to shoot a rotten stump or something to test zero after a fall/drop.

CMF

WKR
A couple small allens that fit sight/rest and a piece of d-loop, and sometimes an extra bh or two.
6 arrows in quiver, 5bh, 1 small game
If there are grouse around, a couple extra arrows in pack with small game heads, bh stowed away.
If anything major happens, I'm just coming out to get things right.
I don't carry an extra release cause it's on my hand daylight til dark or strapped to my bow at camp.
I should probably throw a field point in for checking things if I need to, but I have the small game heads.
I would add a spare release and maybe a few things to leave at camp if I was doing a fly in or drop camp.

TheHammer

WKR
Spare release& Allen’s. I double check everything before leaving the house. Shoot my bow when I arrive in the mountains as I’m acclimating. Double check everything at the trail head and shoot it again. Knock on wood, but this has me pretty confident. If there’s a rain situation or fog I’m then using that time to go over everything again and re organize if possible. My quiver is a 4 arrow and each has a broadhead. If I can’t get it done with those 4, I need to entertain something else with my time.

MattB

WKR
Spare release, allen keys for sight/rest, cord for drop away and d-loop, extra launcher (Hamskea), field point, moleskin (first aid kit).

state637

WKR
I pack an extra release and Allen wrenches. As far as arrows go I carry 5 in my quiver and have a few extra at the truck.