Arca swiss plate on the rifle for sheep hunting?

Elite

WKR
Wondering if anyone has installed a arca swiss plate on there rifle to be able to mount to the tripod? I have always just used my backpack as a shooting rest but I am curios to how stable the tripod method is? The added weight would be minimal as I always have my tripod on sheep hunts

atmat

WKR
I have not, but considering doing it. Salmon River Solutions is a company owned by a WKR and they produce all kinds of different rails. Check them out.

ksracer

FNG
It's pretty much standard equipment on my rifles. I've killed several coyotes at 500 yds standing from my tripod.

Montucky

WKR
Area419 for me…..
8AD312E3-2F2A-463F-9B1F-91023C3F8F49.jpegE6BDDE28-9523-4DA6-AF9B-22A30A64B09E.jpeg

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Have you considered just going with the Spartan Tripod and adapter? Would save a ton of weight. I have a video of my 14 year old shooting a Kudu at 400 off it, and Rob G has a video taking a Kudu at 700 with one. Have to be pounds saved between the 2?

JD Jones

WKR
Have you considered just going with the Spartan Tripod and adapter? Would save a ton of weight. I have a video of my 14 year old shooting a Kudu at 400 off it, and Rob G has a video taking a Kudu at 700 with one. Have to be pounds saved between the 2?
Not sure if pounds saved is accurate. OP states he always has his tripod on his hunts. An arca plate from SRS for example is .55oz.

Adding a spartan adapter option is .7+1.1 oz and personally(I own this as well) the stability isn’t there compared to locking up with the arca

The Davros head might be an option if you are integrating spartan on your binoculars/spotter as well but even so I was not a fan of the lock up on spartan. It’s certainly convenient but I shoot better with the arca plate route.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have shot dall, stone, and still in Mexico after just killing Desert sheep with arca on gun and gun on tripod

Do you find it more stable then a back pack laying prone? I have a pro master xc525c tripod and a rifle weight of 7.1lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Nice setup! I just did this but with an outdoorsman mini rail. Have the option to swap plates to arca mini plate if need be. But, I’m wonder how far back to put the rail?

I like your setup, looks well balanced. I think may have made a mistake and installed mine too far forward, with front of the plate only 2.5 inches behind the sling stud (thinking about adding a spartan adapter for a bipod which is the reason for the location). In hindsight I wasn’t thinking l too much about the balance point.

What’s the best way to patch unwanted drill holes? Haha (cry emoji)

Yes they are definitely worth it. Arca plates are on every rifle I own. Tripod goes with on every hunt