AR hunters

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
18" 6.5 Grendel... have killed a dozen or so deer with it myself and taken kids hunting with it to account for another dozen or so. Weighs 7# 5oz wearing a Trijicon Ascent scope.
Largest buck taken with the Grendel at 196yds… lurched about 20 feet and down.
1701720730183.jpeg

Last edited:
Man I get nervous about
Hold onto the charging handle allow it to chamber, then forward assist to seat it. A bit fiddlefactor but not too bad and it’s quiet

My buffer spring must be weak, or maybe the friction between the case and my mag is too high. I can kinda slap it back and forth a bit but it's not ideal.

I get folks walking around chambered, just not for me with my boy around. I say this as I have a loaded 9mm pointed at my balls right now.

Loper

WKR
Hold onto the charging handle allow it to chamber, then forward assist to seat it. A bit fiddlefactor but not too bad and it’s quiet
I’ve don’t this before and then when I went to pull the trigger on a deer, it didn’t fire. The round wasn’t chambered properly and by the time I got it chambered the deer was gone.

Im way different in the fact that I don’t care for bolt guns and have always preferred an AR. Bolt guns aren’t ergonomically useful to me. I have a couple, but I always reach for my AR when I want to go out to the woods.

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I appreciate the responses. I guess that is the question. Why not carry an AR? They are way more versatile. They are used for combat or tactical operations where people depend on them for their lives. So a quality one is plenty reliable. They can be fit to you based on their modularity.

So why would a bolt action be more practical? Is it the ergonomics? The weight? Accuracy?

For me it's the ergonomics. I don't like how AR handles and mags catch on my pack, vest, jacket, etc. I also don't like the safety, having to choose to walk around with one in the chamber vs noisily chambering a round.

I do like the lighter recoil, and the economic customization options.

I’ve got 22-250, 22CM AI, 243Win, 65CM, 27CM AI, 308Win, 300WSM all AR10’s would take a single one in the hills. Too heavy.
8.5lbs Savage Axis II 280 AI 20” with scope is all I’m willing to tote in the mountains.
Lightest AR10 is the 27 CM AI with scope at 13.5 lbs.

Anyone hunt big game with an AR?

If so,
What caliber?
What optic?
And what is the weight?

Thanks for sharing.
I hunt with a 14.7” pinned and welded tromix upper in 458 socom. It sits on a lower with a 2.5lb trigger. DD furniture and hunted last two seasons with a leupold vx3 1.5-5 German plex firedot scope. I decided to move to a trijicon credo hx in 1-8 for next season.

This is if I decide to hunt with it. I had theee light primer strikes on a moose this year. We called him out and got him halfway across the river before we moved. Set up for a shot as he was climbing out of the water. Click. Tap. Rack. Click. Repeat. Wasn’t the hugest but I meat hunt. And he was significantly larger than the 43” bull I harvested that night (back up rifle was used).

OP
jpmulk

jpmulk

WKR
I hunt with a 14.7” pinned and welded tromix upper in 458 socom. It sits on a lower with a 2.5lb trigger. DD furniture and hunted last two seasons with a leupold vx3 1.5-5 German plex firedot scope. I decided to move to a trijicon credo hx in 1-8 for next season.

This is if I decide to hunt with it. I had theee light primer strikes on a moose this year. We called him out and got him halfway across the river before we moved. Set up for a shot as he was climbing out of the water. Click. Tap. Rack. Click. Repeat. Wasn’t the hugest but I meat hunt. And he was significantly larger than the 43” bull I harvested that night (back up rifle was used).
Did you determine the light primer strikes cause?

Did you determine the light primer strikes cause?
Nope. Gun was pretty clean. Over 300 rounds down the pipe and over 30 of that brand. It was Buffalo bore Barnes ttsx (300 or 325 or 350 grainers). I have the rest of the box that the light primers came out of as well as 2/3 light strike rounds. Lost one to the river.

I was waiting for my new optic to arrive and a weekend that is free. I’m only getting 6 hours of daylight right now, so need a little bit of free time.

And now that my snowmachine arrived, I have winter transportation to get to the range.

Based off the cleaning and the condition of the gun when I took it apart, I’m thinking it was a ammo issue.

It wasn’t that cold. And the gun was clean.

Last edited: