Appendix Carry?

HOT ROD

WKR
Any one here carry in the appecndix position? Would like to hear any ones opinion pros or cons. And what holsters is every one using? I can carry on the job. Just don't because of all the bending over and kneeling that I do. Afraid that my shirt mite ride up and expose the gun...

OP
H

HOT ROD

WKR
I would it would be easer to hide the gun? And probably faster on the draw? And a good chance of know one bumping in to U. And feeling the gun.

B.S.

FNG
I've been experimenting with AIWB, currently carrying a Glock 43 in a JM Custom Kydex holster, overall pretty happy with it.

Pros: Better concealment and comfort, faster draw.
Cons: You must be very deliberate and careful every time you holster your pistol, a mistake will be fatal as you are pointing your gun at your Femoral Artery (andy your junk).

Hopefully not bad etiquite, but check out pistol-forum.com lots of great info on carrying AIWB.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Raven Vanguard 2. Love it. Would strongly consider a Phlstr Skeleton if buying today.

Appendix carry is efficient, easy to access seated or standing with little movement and certainly little in the way of an offensive posture. Holsters are tuckable. Easy to insure your weapon is concealed and not printing. Positive weapon retention. Very unnatural place for someone to look if your weapon does happen to print. Works with jeans, dress pants, shorts, t shirts or button downs, tucked or untucked. Does require a belt or place to secure a thong (i.e. zach "holster") Takes a little getting used to in order to find the "crease" the muzzle needs to be placed to maintain comfort. If you're fat, forget it. Replacing the weapon in the 'holster' is not something I do with the holster on my body. I remove the RVG2 and place it on the trigger guard with my finger off the trigger and muzzle in a safe direction.
Highly effective method and works well.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish I had the body type. G19 and 165 short dude doesn't go well together especially when sitting down.

My buddy is 6'2?220? And he wears it well.

OP
H

HOT ROD

WKR
Thanks for all the advise. I will be sure to check out all the holsters. What is JM Custom? Drhorsepower do U think it just the g19. And U are short? Do U think U could carry a smaller pistol? Because I am short to. And was planning on carry in my g43. Thanks again...

PNWGATOR

WKR
The G43 in a Phlstr Skeleton is about as minimalist of the Glock approach as you can go. The Skeleton functions in carrying positions anywhere between 12-5. Simplicity...good stuff.

PJG

WKR
Cons: You must be very deliberate and careful every time you holster your pistol, a mistake will be fatal as you are pointing your gun at your Femoral Artery (andy your junk).

This is worth repeating, the pressure is going into the trigger when the gun is going in the holster. Removing the holster is a great practice.

If you are not going to take the holster off then at a minimum you should walk the pistol in with your eyes, making sure nothing is going to interfere with the bang switch as the gun is entering the holster.

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I appendix carry and have been for a few years. I use a Dale Fricke holster, I can't quite remember the model and my computer at work has his site blocked. Anyways I'm a little heavier guy and it is still comfortable for me. But like others said you must be very careful with holstering.

AdamW

WKR
AIWB is not for everyone and it is not something that should be done without great consideration of the possible consequences of negligence. That said, it is my preferred carry position. I carry in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB holster. Friends ask me what/how I carry and I do not answer without a mention of the grave consequences of AIWB failures.

The holster (design and make/model of pistol you are carrying) and your body type are the two main factors in concealment and comfort of AIWB.

Here is a good read by Todd Louis Green who sadly just lost his 10 year battle with cancer this week. Todd's contribution to the modern state of AIWB carry is not a small one.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?120-AIWB-(Appendix-Carry)

Beastmode

WKR
I wish I had the body type. G19 and 165 short dude doesn't go well together especially when sitting down.

My buddy is 6'2?220? And he wears it well.

This^^^
It all depends what you carry. A smaller pistol works great. I prefer carrying a larger pistol and end up carrying around 5 o'clock. If you body type and size of pistol allows it great. As soon as I sit down with appendix carry it becomes uncomfortable.

I carry concealed on my right hip, IWB- same location as my duty weapon (duty holster is a Safariland ALS). Always try to carry in the same area on your body, if possible. Stress reaction to threat, muscle memory, etc etc

B.S.

FNG
Thanks for all the advise. I will be sure to check out all the holsters. What is JM Custom?

JM Custom Kydex - custom molded kydex holsters: http://www.jmcustomkydex.com I went with the standard AIWB holster and 1.5" clip for my Glock 43. I also had them add "extra length" to the holster, which helps stabilize the shorter pistol, adds 1/4-1/2" length to the holster.

If you want to try AIWB with the G43 for minimal investment, Blade Tech the Revolution holster which easy to find (Cabelas) and is only $30, its not perfect, but a good way to start.