Appalachian mountain black bear hunting advice

Im in WNC and bump into a bear once or twice every year deer hunting. that said we had a group deer camp two years ago and some boys got into a spot and had a bear feeding frenzy going on around them they counted 20 something bears in an afternoon sit.
Here in NC they have permit hunts now on some of the bear sanctuaries, some allow dog hunting some dont.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the same exact boat. A fella on here recommended that I go check out the GON forums (Georgia Outdoor News) for some good advice and tips specific to north GA. From what I can tell, its kinda tough to find a lot of good info online. I would just try to find a connection with someone who is experienced in hunting black bears in Appalachia if possible. Everyone online seems to say the same basic stuff: find the acorns, find very fresh sign, listen for lapping, etc. But yeah, I am planning the exact same adventure this fall for my first time (even though I have lived in GA all my life). I wish you luck!
This is what you have to do. There’s not some esoteric knowledge one has to obtain, local knowledge sometimes yes, but hidden knowledge no.

Meaning, it speeds up the process if you know where stands of hard mast and soft mast trees are before season. They don’t produce the same every year, and bear might be on one ridge this year, and another ridge next year because of the mast crop.

But w that said, you gotta find out what and where they’re eating each and every year. You just gotta get boots on the ground. Again, it’s not magical.

Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don’t, it’s low percentage hunting. Really have to be good with that, or unreasonable expectations will take away the joy

Clayman77

FNG
I’m late to this conversation but here’s a lil info . I’m in wnc . I been hunting bears a long time here . Wind and scent is key . Especially for mature bears . The mast crop is important acorns , beech ect .. low gaps between mtns are bear interstates . Bears will circle if they smell something out of place big circle . I couldn’t imagine success in the mtns just going in a new area blind without pure luck . Trailcams in June will show you lots of bears travel routes . They Walk almost the exact same way everytime undisturbed . Even where they place their feet crossing a log . City bears within close proximity to wildlife land are used to human scent . Not human scent in the woods especially off trail . Small bears are relatively easy to get close to . Big bears are a completely different beast . Baiting isn’t legal where I am . You can use natural bait on private.. in September bears are consuming as much as possible if you find piles of fresh scat your in . Diameter of scat will give you size . Mornings are not very good to hunt . Evenings are . This is my observation overall . Things can change with luck and perseverance. I shoot one every year to eat . Mostly 250 pounds or less . Occasionally a big bear . I’m blessed to live right in bear country . Again June is when I see on cam lots of big bears looking for females . 4 to 600 pounds . Those guys don’t get that big hanging around pressures hunting grounds. I’ll venture to say it’s one of the hardest hunts . Mountain hunting on public with no bait where you can’t see very far is challenging. It can be done . Caliber wise / whatever I just like to drt the bear if possible because the terrain is not easy to pack out unless you got lots of help . I’m 308 Barnes ttsx high shoulder or neck . Every time or I don’t shoot . It’s extremely rewarding . If successful you can reallly feel you’ve done something .

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Go places you would never usually go. Thick, steep, nasty. Cover, food, and water nearby. Spring heads. Black gum, white and red oaks. A couple days won't usually get it done. Long walks and long days. Be sure you can break down and pack your bear out. DNR needs to see the skull, hide, and sex. Get every single ounce of meat and fat.

Find the mass crops and sit them all day. Those bears feed and move all day long in the mountains, not just at night like some people think.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Also.....check out Georgia Bear Hunters on FB. My good buddy Dillon Harper puts out some great scouting videos. It applies to most of Appalachia. And listen to anything @Jbogg says (who posted earlier in this thread). Don't overthink it but don't waste your time hunting where the sign is void or from the rut or last year.

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Also.....check out Georgia Bear Hunters on FB. My good buddy Dillon Harper puts out some great scouting videos. It applies to most of Appalachia. And listen to anything @Jbogg says (who posted earlier in this thread). Don't overthink it but don't waste your time hunting where the sign is void or from the rut or last year.

Went and followed the FB group and watched one of Dillon’s videos. That 20 minute video gave me more insight into bear behavior and sign than any other info I have ever gotten from anyone else. Wealth of knowledge! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsimmons

FNG
Yes and no. It depends on where you are. If I’m walking on used trail(or humans or animals) I’m not too worried. However, I was out at a different North GA WMA a few weeks ago and ran across a copperhead while walking around off a trail doing some scouting. It didn’t catch me too off guard, as it was laying underneath/against a downed tree that i was crossing(and I know to look for snakes around downed trees. I’ve never come across one, but i know some guys that have come a rattle snakes. The thought thing is that the area is too rough for snake boots(trust me, i tried). So you just have to be careful and keep your eyes open. If i am in an area with a lot of leaves, sticks or downed trees(or ever have to pick something up) i’ll use my trekking poles to disturb the area first
Did you ever try snake chaps or gaiters?