Anyway to reduce muzzle noise to reduce noise for neighbors?

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone built something they can shoot through to reduce the noise of a rifle firing? I recently bought a house with 10 acres and picked out a flat spot where I can make a pretty nice 100 yard range. The issue being, there is a house about 150-175 yards away.

I imagine that if I line up some tires and put some insulation or something in them this will absorb some of the rifle noise without chaining accuracy. Has anyone tried this with tires or anything else? I thought about a shed and lining it with sound proofing materials, but also feel like that would be extremely loud inside, even with ear muffs.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Umm, have you not heard of a Suppressor? Also called a silencer?

That is exactly what you are looking for…..
Lol thanks captain obvious - but a suppressor is $1k and like an 8 month backlog, right? So yeah your right, just won't shoot for 8 months, good thing you commented, very helpful and insightful

Rob5589

WKR
What about building a sound wall around your shooting station. Maybe contact the NRA, they can be helpful with range design.

jhm2023

WKR
Suppressors can most certainly be had for under $1K and with the new e-file it should be closer to 90 days, If that is something you were interested in. Still sucks to wait but it is what it is. In captain obvious's defense, he gave a very reasonable answer to a question about quieting a rifle shot.

I've also seen some people shoot through large culverts with some kind of baffle setup insdide to help mitigate noise. Seems like that would be a more expensive route then a can and can only be used in that place while shooting stationary.

gtriple

WKR
If you aren't going to go the obvious route of getting a suppressor, just don't shoot at obnoxious times and let them know beforehand that you are about to shoot.

Or drop some ear plugs off in their mailbox if they complain.

OP
dmossu

dmossu

Lil-Rokslider
Suppressors can most certainly be had for under $1K and with the new e-file it should be closer to 90 days, If that is something you were interested in. Still sucks to wait but it is what it is. In captain obvious's defense, he gave a very reasonable answer to a question about quieting a rifle shot.
He did, but acted like I have never heard of a silencer lol Like of course, no need for sarcasm to a serious question? Right? I just looked up on ATF trackers, where are you seeing 90 days? An efile shows as taking 250 days minimum for most

I've also seen some people shoot through large culverts with some kind of baffle setup insdide to help mitigate noise. Seems like that would be a more expensive route then a can and can only be used in that place while shooting stationary.
Yeah that would be a pain

Ideally a suppressor is the best idea, but in the meantime something cheap to get by

gtriple

WKR
If you can afford it, you'll never regret buying a suppressor. The Banish is great. I love my TBAC Ultra-9 and 7.

Tires will work, but are just a pain to move around. Could try this:

Tell you neighbors to move to the city where they belong.....

That is what I told mine when they said "Your gunfire scares my dog".

Strangely enough, I haven't gotten a Christmas card from them since we moved here. lol

Tell you neighbors to move to the city where they belong.....

That is what I told mine when they said "Your gunfire scares my dog".

Strangely enough, I haven't gotten a Christmas card from them since we moved here. lol
I live in an area that is rural, but has become popular for second homeowners and WFH'ers from somewhere else. The small town local newspaper has a police blotter they run every couple of weeks of all of the emergency calls in the county. Seems like there is a call almost every month where someone complains about gunfire and the deputy responds and tells them shooting guns is legal where they live.

KHNC

WKR
I wouldnt be concerned with it at all. They will get used to it. I have a neighbor that has 7 fkn dogs that constantly bark round the clock. They are nice people , but i hate every single one of their dogs. Its in the country so i dont complain. But it wouldnt hurt my feelings at all if they moved. Its just like background noise to me now. Got used to those bastards.

Last edited:
I have seen people line up tires on a stand and shoot through the tires to muffle things a bit. It does muffle the sound pretty well.

Just need a some sort of bracket to hold those tires to the gun and you're all set :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
I can't stand when people complain about silencer wait times. If you bought one last year you would have it right now.

But since you're late to the game, use Silencer Central. You don't have to pay the full amount up front and everything is done on their website from free gun trust to photos and tax stamp. Once the ATF gets caught up on the 200,000 paper files we will start seeing 90 day turn arounds.

I have seen people line up tires on a stand and shoot through the tires to muffle things a bit. It does muffle the sound pretty well.

I’d be curious to see how quiet it is to shoot a suppressed rifle through the tires. The double up effect has to be significant, right? Someone get on that and let us know!