Anything Irish Setter worth trying?

Long story short i got $200 to use towards redwing/irish setter boots. Anything worth checking out. Had my eye on the elk trackers as a backup pair of western hunting boots. Any opinions or recommendations would be great. Thanks Brent

nobody

WKR
Brother and Dad have been running Irish Setters for the past 2 years, no issues.

Brother is using the Vaprtek (I think???), no issues with waterproofing or breathability or durability. They're all synthetic, so I don't expect them to hold up like a pair of all leather boots, but so far so good.

Dad is using an old, discontinued pair similar to the Gunflint's, circa +/-2015. Local Sportsman's Warehouse was tearing apart a mannequin display last summer and had a mannequin wearing them, was going to throw them away (since they were a 6 year old discontinued boot, no tags or box or anything), and they were dad's size. He offered $10 for the boots and they took it, he's been very happy with them.

Full disclosure, my Dad and brother don't spend an exorbitant amount of time in field, but they are billy goats and put on the miles when they do go out. Between some camping, hiking, and a few hunts, I bet they've each got a few hundred miles on them and there's no sign they'll be replacing them any time soon. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate on a pair of Irish Setters as my primary hunting boot.

If you are in need of a work boot, you could always go with a classic Redwing Moc Toe. Can't ever go wrong with a pair of those, absolutely love mine.

OregonHunter13

The Irish setter Vaportreks worked well for me for a season but they are more of light and fast boot not much support similar to a Crispi Lapponia but due to having such a soft sole and being a synthetic boot the rocks really chew them up. Not a good late season boot or where being waterproof is necessary.

Superdoo

WKR
Elk Trackers are nice, but heavy. If you want a good pair of work boots, Red Wing is great. I wear them everyday.

I've had a set of the Pinnacles for 3 years now. They've been great, comfortable. Soft soles as mentioned above. The rocks can really eat them up. But besides that I've had no complaints. I didn't even need to break them in. Just threw them on and went out. Red wings fit me the best out of all the boots I've worn.

The synthetic waterproofing on the Vaprtreks won't last a season. Hiked 20 miles around Rainier with sopping wet feet thanks to them. Irish setter gave me 40% off because of it and I got Elk Trackers. Broke them in at work and took them on a 17 mile scouting trip. Would have rather had wet feet in the Vaprtreks they were so uncomfortable. They're solely work boots now.

The Elk Trackers might be good if you're not doing any serious hiking in them. I've kept them treated with Obenaufs and they've been waterproof at work for a couple years now.

Overdrive

WKR
Had the same 2 pairs of Vaprtrexs for 5 years 1 pair of uninsulated and 1 pair 400 g insulated. Work great still but will probably replace this year, Mostly because I was crossing a boggy area and went in up to my knees and got that stinky bog water inside the boots and they still stink, but that's my fault.

I have 2 pair of Elk tracker's as well 1 pair 200g and 1 pair 1000g insulated. I use the 1000g for late season hunting/guiding, by far the best hunting boot I've ever used. Very warm and comfortable, I put on many miles with them and my legs and feet always feel great, don't know where people think they're heavy. They have awesome traction for the steep terrain I guide in when the snow hits, like having a mud tire on while everyone else are running highway tires.

OP
brentwinkey
Elk Trackers are nice, but heavy. If you want a good pair of work boots, Red Wing is great. I wear them everyday.
Already got a good pair of work boots...rather use the $200 on hunting boots since i dont really use work boots much anymore sitting it equipment...

OP
brentwinkey
Had the same 2 pairs of Vaprtrexs for 5 years 1 pair of uninsulated and 1 pair 400 g insulated. Work great still but will probably replace this year, Mostly because I was crossing a boggy area and went in up to my knees and got that stinky bog water inside the boots and they still stink, but that's my fault.

I have 2 pair of Elk tracker's as well 1 pair 200g and 1 pair 1000g insulated. I use the 1000g for late season hunting/guiding, by far the best hunting boot I've ever used. Very warm and comfortable, I put on many miles with them and my legs and feet always feel great, don't know where people think they're heavy. They have awesome traction for the steep terrain I guide in when the snow hits, like having a mud tire on while everyone else are running highway tires.

I was thinking about getting a insulated set myself too for late season stuff....guess ill just go to the local store and see whats most comfortable and go from there. I think theyll be a excellent back up if nothing else. Got a spring bear hunt coming up so insulated set to go with my mendle's would prob be a good idea.

I have a pair of uninsulated elk trackers and have really liked them. The traction is really good and they just stick to rock faces in an impressive way. As for waterproofing I have not been really happy as they let some water in on my hunt this fall but some leather waterproofer should alleviate that. They kept my feet warm enough glassing on 30 deg mornings.

There is one downside to these boots. The toe is leather and is completely unprotected. This means you will eat up the leather toes after only a hike or two. I went back to the store to have tough toe applied and now they are tanks. I would talk to the store and see if they will apply it for free if you buy the boots.

Boots.JPG

OP
brentwinkey
I have a pair of uninsulated elk trackers and have really liked them. The traction is really good and they just stick to rock faces in an impressive way. As for waterproofing I have not been really happy as they let some water in on my hunt this fall but some leather waterproofer should alleviate that. They kept my feet warm enough glassing on 30 deg mornings.

There is one downside to these boots. The toe is leather and is completely unprotected. This means you will eat up the leather toes after only a hike or two. I went back to the store to have tough toe applied and now they are tanks. I would talk to the store and see if they will apply it for free if you buy the boots.

View attachment 487573

Sounds good...i will definatly do so...leaning towards the elk trackers.

OP
brentwinkey

View attachment 487573

How many seasons/trip you have on them?

Really like my uninsulated elk trackers. They did take a bit to break in however they are treating me well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

How many seasons/trip you have on them?

I have had them for about 3 and a half years. This fall was my first year hunting but they have seen pretty regular hiking and camping trips. One nice thing about real leather is it will last a long time if you take care of it. They are extremely comfortable as well. Typically I cant wait to take off hiking boots after a hike but these I can leave on all the time. They are goodyear welted too so you can resole them at a cobbler or Red Wing store.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I have vaportrek un-insulated gen 1's. sidehilling hurts the outside of my ankle due to the way an outer accent piece is molded. They have eliminated that with the current generation. They are nice for dry mild conditions; walking across ag fields, pastures, CRP, etc. More and more for those situations I find myself just wearing my keens though.

Matt9122

FNG
I have vaportrek un-insulated gen 1's. sidehilling hurts the outside of my ankle due to the way an outer accent piece is molded. They have eliminated that with the current generation. They are nice for dry mild conditions; walking across ag fields, pastures, CRP, etc. More and more for those situations I find myself just wearing my keens though.
Same problem, I just skip that one with the laces. Can’t even tell, but it takes away the pressure point.

hiker270

WKR
My feet love the Irish Setter Vaportrek's. I have tried Danner's and have had no luck (great boots, just don't fit my feet). Everyone is different, try different model's of Irish Setter and maybe you'll find a winner.

Long story short i got $200 to use towards redwing/irish setter boots. Anything worth checking out. Had my eye on the elk trackers as a backup pair of western hunting boots. Any opinions or recommendations would be great. Thanks Brent
I got elk trackers, they were passable their first year, after one elk (packed out 2), deer(packed out 2), and bear season they were completely wore out. Waterproofing gone, tread pretty minimal, seams starting to burst. I got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and a Crispi guide and haven't looked back.

Granted i put the miles on that year, probably over 75. But dont cheap out on boots or packs man, ive heard to learn that the hard way. If youre hunting back east the Elk Trackers or Vepyrs will do fine, but for western hunting its a no go