Anyone Using Marmot Precip rain gear for sheep hunt?

I did a couple times. It was the older 2010 version. Pants leaked horribly at the non-waterproof (!) exposed zipper and the fabric would soak through in minutes in tall wet grass. Water would actually run down my pant leg into my boots. Jacket worked slightly better, but would wet out in short order and loose any breathability that it had. Eventually it would also soak through, although it took a while longer.

Tore the heck out of the seat of the pants every time I sat on a rock. Finally retired them after 18 months. Not sure why I used them that long. I seem to attract bad weather as soon as I pick up my sheep pack, so your results may vary.

The latest versions are supposed to be more waterproof and actually have flaps over the leg zip. Might be better, but I'm not real keen to find out.

Yk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore a pair of the pants on one sheep hunt. They did ok, but "wetted" through after a few days of rain. They did not feel to durable to me. I now use a KUIU Chugach jacket and a pair of Patagonia Spraymaster Special Rain Pants that were part of Patagonia's military line. I got two pairs off eBay thinking I would wear a pair out. So far going 3 solid seasons on the 1st pair. I've used the Chugach jacket on 4 hunts. No complaints. I think the precip stuff is ok, but not sure it would last as long as the others. Then again you can get it on sale and replace as needed vs. spending the big bucks on the high end stuff. I think the Patagonia Rain Shadow and the Mt Hardwear Epic lines are great values if you don't need / want camo.

Kay9Cop

FNG
I carry the Precip for hunts where I only expect occassional rain, like sheep hunting in August. If I'm going on a later season hunt or somewhere that I expect it to rain often, like SE Alaska, I bring HH Impertech. The problem with HH is it doesn't breath so if you're sheep hunting you're still getting wet, just from the inside out.

I carry the Precip for hunts where I only expect occassional rain, like sheep hunting in August.

Man, how do you manage that? Sometimes is seems like the only days it doesn't rain on my August sheep hunts was because it was snowing. I mean I see sun too sometimes, it's just never for more than a few hours at at a time.

I currently am using Sitka Dewpoint. Jury is still out, but it's several cuts above Precip and the old Stormfront Lite. I got the Sitka pants for a excellent deal, or I would just use HH for bottoms. Lots of jackets seem to work good enough, but pants live a rough live in the brush and rocks.

Yk