Anyone using chest rigs?

Anyone using a chest rig-type pack? HPG, Marsupial, FHF, etc., have a few different variations. I want to have room for 15’s and supplies in case I drop my pack while hunting and use it other stuff like fly fishing.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
just picked up an HPG Kit bag in Classifieds just for to give this a go and see if I like it better then running a Bino rig standalone.

ChrisAU

WKR
I used an FHF rig in Wyoming a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed it, though I'm not quite sure I can deal with the zipper noise for whitetail hunting yet. I did love having all that stuff right in front of me and so easily accessible while glassing and hiking though. Details on my setup here:

drra

FNG
I took off my Eberstock bino pack the morining of my first hunt with it - just couldn't get used to having something on my chest. I've been considering attaching a light day pack to the outside of my pack, but haven't tried that yet.

woodswise

FNG
Being using the HPG recon kit full size. Chose this one because its thin in thickness compared to others. Not interested in a thick dimensional chest pack that interferes with sight when looking down for tracking or just bulky on my front. It rides comfortably under a backpack, no agitation from the harness. Not liking the 2 inch straps and buckles, seems like overkill, yet not a deal breaker. Carries just enough gear that I like having handy, without digging through pockets or pouches on belt. Not great when drawing bow, but need more practice.The larger size, in length and width seems to ride and distribute weight well. Feels like a good option.

I am in the process of modifying one to the way I want it. I have tried several harness, right now i a using a marsupial.

I upgraded to Marsupial fully enclosed non-magnetic harness with rangefinder side pouch. Ran AGC for a few years but now relegated to turkey hunting missions.

OP
canyonhunter47
So as an update I used the FHF rig for a deer hunt a couple weeks ago and I’m pretty satisfied. I was using 15’s as my primary binos and did not carry 10’s most of the time. Here are my takeaway pros and cons (+/-)

+ holds my 15’s
- 15’s have to be sideways
+ also holds extras like RF, (clipped to the front or works w/ FHF RF case), lighter, knife(s), tag, chapstick, mirror, whistle, SOL bivy, snack or two with space too spare - basically everything but a water bottle
- kinda big, and lumpy if you don’t pack carefully
+ I think will work great for fly fishing and photography
- cordura is not especially waterproof and can soak up water (potentially stinky and extra weight)
+ seals off contents from dust (good enough for me anyways)
- probably not waterproof and zipper isn’t as quiet as the typical flap+tab setup in most harnesses
+ I can use it as a backpack lid when I use 10’s in my regular FHF or RYO harness and detach it from my pack for stalks
- every little accessory is sold separately so it adds up $$

Feel free to ask more questions either here or PM

Last edited:

E6ylK

FNG
I’ve used a HPG runners kit bag for a while and it’s awesome. Definitely a great way to carry a few essentials with easy access and always on you. I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t like a lot of weight on my belt, especially not with strenuous physical activity, and a chest pack fills in the gap perfectly.

I was initially worried about the straps interfering with a backpack, but it hasn’t been an issue.

I’ll be moving to a recon next, so my binos can be mounted on the front, and I’ll have everything together.

As a side note, I do think it’s important to plan what you want to carry. I don’t want it overloaded and have no intentions to replicate the contents of a survival pack. Aside from its primary purpose, it fits a few supplemental items to make an unexpected night out less likely or less miserable (depending, but things have gone bad if either comes into play), and occasionally random temporary items like a satellite messenger. Some people carry a lot, and if that’s your intention, you’d probably be happier with one of their larger versions.

woods89

WKR
I have used a tac version while saddle hunting whitetails a bit. For me they are bad for high activity hunting because they don't breathe and I wind up with a huge spot on my chest that is soaked with sweat. I've gone the other way with a Rick Young harness and cover, and I keep everything else in my pockets.

If you don't sweat like me I can see them working well.

E6ylK

FNG
For me they are bad for high activity hunting because they don't breathe and I wind up with a huge spot on my chest that is soaked with sweat.
This is definitely something to be aware of. I sweat a lot and find it’s ok in cool weather when wearing the appropriate amount of layers. It’s also never been an issue during the heat with low activity. I’m not sure if I could tolerate this regularly in a high heat / high humidity environment, but that’s a small amount if the year where I live.

woods89

WKR
This is definitely something to be aware of. I sweat a lot and find it’s ok in cool weather when wearing the appropriate amount of layers. It’s also never been an issue during the heat with low activity. I’m not sure if I could tolerate this regularly in a high heat / high humidity environment, but that’s a small amount if the year where I live.
For sure, and how this affects people will vary quite a bit. For me, I've spent a lot of time figuring out how to layer for high activity without sweating a lot, and I hate to cover any more of that up than I have to. I'm already covering my back up with a pack.

Bbell12

WKR
So as an update I used the FHF rig for a deer hunt a couple weeks ago and I’m pretty satisfied. I was using 15’s as my primary binos and did not carry 10’s most of the time. Here are my takeaway pros and cons (+/-)

+ holds my 15’s
- 15’s have to be sideways
+ also holds extras like RF, (clipped to the front or works w/ FHF RF case), lighter, knife(s), tag, chapstick, mirror, whistle, SOL bivy, snack or two with space too spare - basically everything but a water bottle
- kinda big, and lumpy if you don’t pack carefully
+ I think will work great for fly fishing and photography
- cordura is not especially waterproof and can soak up water (potentially stinky and extra weight)
+ seals off contents from dust (good enough for me anyways)
- probably not waterproof and zipper isn’t as quiet as the typical flap+tab setup in most harnesses
+ I can use it as a backpack lid when I use 10’s in my regular FHF or RYO harness and detach it from my pack for stalks
- every little accessory is sold separately so it adds up $$

Feel free to ask more questions either here or PM
How would this chest rig do with archery hunting? I love the idea of having everything I need on my chest to drop my pack when I’m trying to make a stalk, especially if it turns into a long range one, but I’m a little skeptical of its bulkiness. I think I’d much rather have this than a traditional bino harness though because of its versatility where I can use it fishing, bird hunting, etc…

Made the switch back to a more enclosed chest rig. I have a bag from a company called WTF and it holds my binos, phone, compass and calls pretty easy. It has a zippered closure, which isn’t for everyone. The company is more tactically minded, but I like that it is the size I’m looking for and come with velcro already sewn inside.

OP
canyonhunter47
How would this chest rig do with archery hunting? I love the idea of having everything I need on my chest to drop my pack when I’m trying to make a stalk, especially if it turns into a long range one, but I’m a little skeptical of its bulkiness. I think I’d much rather have this than a traditional bino harness though because of its versatility where I can use it fishing, bird hunting, etc…
Good question, I don’t have my bow at the moment but in a couple weeks I’ll check if the string contacts the fabric. The zipper might be another concern for archery, but it’s fairly quiet if you work it slow

tony

WKR
Even the biggest Hill People chest rig, the "Original" full size is thin at 2 inches deep. Thats the one I have. Loaded with chest rig gear and then a set of binos inside made it impossible to zip shut and was uncomfortable as hell.
That rig sitka makes looks interesting, but very large.

Bbell12

WKR
Good question, I don’t have my bow at the moment but in a couple weeks I’ll check if the string contacts the fabric. The zipper might be another concern for archery, but it’s fairly quiet if you work it slow
That would be great, I’d sure appreciate it!

My 14 yr old son was born with spinabifida and is confined to a wheel chair. He along with all of us is an avid hunter, fisherman, and loves the outdoors. He has uses an Action track chair to get around our farm and in the woods. We struggled finding a good way for him to carry and access gear. (multitool, rangefinder, gloves, duck calls, line snips, etc…). Stuff the rest of us carry in our small back packs.
I bought a HCP chest pack for him and it has proven to be very handy for him. He configures it as needed for what ever season/game he’s going for. It works well as a mini tackle box, cross bow accessories bag, muzzle loader mini possibles bag, bino pouch too.
I copied him and ordered myself one too. It can get in the way but as I’ve used it for several seasons I appreciate how easy stuff is to access.

Warmsy

WKR
I use the hpg heavy recon and I can shut my recurve just fine... Have to move string arm slightly out to clear the chest rig, but at full draw it's still an inch away from the chest rig.