Anyone still using an old Garmin Inreach?

Hello all,

Going on my first elk hunt this year and looking into satellite communication options. I've been reading up on SpaceX's starlink satellite system and it is making me leary of spending a bunch of $ on a device like an inreach mini when it sounds like it may become somewhat obsolete in the near future. With that being said, I have been looking at some older used inreach devices like the 1.5's with all push buttons and no screen. Is anyone still running one of these, and do they still seem to work ok? Trying to save a few bucks but I'm also leary of 10 year old electronics with multiple new iterations out there.

Crusader

WKR
FYI, Garmin 66i is on sale right now at Bass Pro/Cabela's for $349, same price as InReach Mini 2, but it offers all the GPS functions in addition to the satellite functions.

Trldad

FNG
FYI, Garmin 66i is on sale right now at Bass Pro/Cabela's for $349, same price as InReach Mini 2, but it offers all the GPS functions in addition to the satellite functions.

Just picked one up in the sale. Normally $599. I can't wait to get it out in the field and put it through it paces.

Maverick1

WKR
Hello all,

Going on my first elk hunt this year and looking into satellite communication options. I've been reading up on SpaceX's starlink satellite system and it is making me leary of spending a bunch of $ on a device like an inreach mini when it sounds like it may become somewhat obsolete in the near future. With that being said, I have been looking at some older used inreach devices like the 1.5's with all push buttons and no screen. Is anyone still running one of these, and do they still seem to work ok? Trying to save a few bucks but I'm also leary of 10 year old electronics with multiple new iterations out there.
I'm still using an original SPOT device. Works fine. Use the monthly payment plan, an annual charge and then one or two monthly charges in the fall. At this point it is simply a one-way communication device that basically says "I'm OK"; it has an emergency function, which I have never had to use. Prefer to not have two way communication when I am in the mountains, anyhow!!! No distractions from the home/office front. :)

I'm still using the yellow delorme inreach version from before garmin bought them out. It works great paired to my phone through the garmin app with no bugs, so I wouldn't worry about buying one of these.

Edited:
This is the version I'm still using.
https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O?th=1

This is the one I still use. Still going strong. It’s never worked great with my phone for some reason. So I just use the Inreach itself. I think it’s user error on that but whatev.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still using a gen 1 inreach and you can find used ones fairly inexpensively. They're slower and have less abttery life than the new one but works well enough

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Starlink has a long way to go.

I have both devices they make and the mini is not small and is a PITA and oversold for mobility.

It uses 10000mAh and gets very hot and needs realignment every time you move.

It’s on A/C in photo but I run it on DC too and it sucks a good sized bank down in less than a work day.

1724365825909.jpeg

I just got Inreach2 and it’s underwhelming but I like having it on my pack and I’m glad I didn’t buy the new Messenger device.

That GPS device mentioned above is probably a great choice.

The battery life on the mini2 is poor when tracking and when I researched the purchase reviews said battery life was way better than the original device which has to mean the new one just sucks less.

Last edited:
When you send messages "back home" with Inreach, are you able to send to a cell phone or does the other person have to have Inreach too?

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The recipient can have a phone or any device with Garmins proprietary Messenger App. They can also see where you are on a website or App if they have your password too.

I'm assuming all these devices are going to be on fire sale in the next couple months when Apple rolls out iOS 18. I actually need a beacon/communicator device in the next couple months, and my iPhone 13 has not had the satellite emergency function that the newer iPhones have had for at least the last year, but iOS 18 will change that (assuming iOS 18 will work on an iPhone 13.) So I'll wait and see.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Inreach Mini2 will still be valuable to me even if my smartphone provides parallel services because I will have something redundant on my shoulder that my wife can track me on and I can hit SOS without dicking around with a smartphone if I become immobile or have a heat stroke etc.

I have a garmin messenger that I really like. I don’t feel like I need the gps features of the inreach when I have onX and CalTopo on my phone, but I like having something that works well to send messages on in case of an emergency.

gtriple

WKR
I have both a Mini 1 and Mini 2 that my wife and I use. The only reason why I'm still using the Mini 1 and not upgrading it is because it is grandfathered into having custom preset messages that you can send for free. It's really nice to be able to customize the 3 messages and send them as much as you want.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking of pausing ZOLEO after upgrading my iPhone15 to iOS 18. It is much easier to use the ZOLEO. iOS 18 requires you to stop what you're doing, search for a few minutes, then point your phone at a satellite and wait for it to connect and then send messages. Takes a few minutes. ZOLEO's passive loading of messages makes it a more feasible, easier process.

I was convinced that iOS 18 would be able to kill my ZOLEO subscription, but after trying to use it in the trees, I don't think so. ZOLEO: Iridium Apple: GlobalStar

You can join the iOS 18 beta here: https://beta.apple.com/

OP
A
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying an old used Delorme inreach and it works great! Battery did seem to die a little sooner than I would like, but i plan to bring plenty of power banks to charge it.