Anyone still use the TSX?

SDHNTR

WKR
LOL. Okay man. You had bad experiences. Sorry about that. Not everyone has.

Third trip to the range since I've worked up my loads, and the TSX is out-shooting the TTSX from my Howa. Looks like I'll be using 120 TSX's from my Howa and 140 TTSX's from my Tikka. I like that, since it will help me keep the ammo separate. The Tikka is my western gun and the Howa is my eastern gun, so I was hoping things would work out this way.
If they are shooting well, by all means use them. Just bring your normal point of aim a little bit forward. Shoot em IN the shoulder, not behind it. Break em down and they work just fine.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
This year, first and last time for TSX for me. I worked up a load in 257 weatherby with 115 TSX for an upcoming sheep hunt. Tried it out on whitetail and lost my first wounded animal in the last 35 years. At first I blamed myself completely and still do take most of the blame......figured maybe I was just too hurried and too old to make that 300 yd shot(But made that shot countless times in the past at the same spot). Thought I had completely missed at first but then found about 10 drops of blood where the deer stood but then no more. I only take double lung broadside shots to curb meat damage and when using traditional lead core bullets I generally get DRT or at most a 50 yd tracking job. Then I started running into similar stories with people who used TSX bullets on other shooting sites. Many completely pass through shots when shot into soft tissue with little to no damage or energy transfer; exit hole identical to entrance hole. If you take a shoulder shot, the bone will open them up and you end up with lots of secondary projectiles from the broken bone And you will probably be fine Very few recovered bullets on double lung broadside shots but this is one picture of TSX taken from a deer that entered just anterior to the rear leg and stopped in the neck. The LRX and TTSX aren’t known to have this problem since the hollow point cavity is much larger and the plastic tip helps initiate expansion. Hopefully Barnes will come out with the 115gr .257 in a TTSX or LRX since this was a super accurate load for me. Just my .02 cents for whatever it’s worth

Attachments

• FFA31F64-77EA-4045-88A2-422DC5E715D2.png
    FFA31F64-77EA-4045-88A2-422DC5E715D2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
I've only had one deer that I had issue with finding due to the tsx bullet..and that was due to tissue plugging the exit hole that was just shy of golf ball size on double lung shot at approximately 125 yards.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
This year, first and last time for TSX for me. I worked up a load in 257 weatherby with 115 TSX for an upcoming sheep hunt. Tried it out on whitetail and lost my first wounded animal in the last 35 years. At first I blamed myself completely and still do take most of the blame......figured maybe I was just too hurried and too old to make that 300 yd shot(But made that shot countless times in the past at the same spot). Thought I had completely missed at first but then found about 10 drops of blood where the deer stood but then no more. I only take double lung broadside shots to curb meat damage and when using traditional lead core bullets I generally get DRT or at most a 50 yd tracking job. Then I started running into similar stories with people who used TSX bullets on other shooting sites. Many completely pass through shots when shot into soft tissue with little to no damage or energy transfer; exit hole identical to entrance hole. If you take a shoulder shot, the bone will open them up and you end up with lots of secondary projectiles from the broken bone And you will probably be fine Very few recovered bullets on double lung broadside shots but this is one picture of TSX taken from a deer that entered just anterior to the rear leg and stopped in the neck. The LRX and TTSX aren’t known to have this problem since the hollow point cavity is much larger and the plastic tip helps initiate expansion. Hopefully Barnes will come out with the 115gr .257 in a TTSX or LRX since this was a super accurate load for me. Just my .02 cents for whatever it’s worth
Funny how things turn out.....neighbor found the buck today and called me to pick up what was left after the coyotes finished with him.....5 weeks later. Not enough of him left to do an autopsy for bullet performance

Attachments

• 20A6F762-66B5-4EC6-8D25-4BCBA262841A.png
    20A6F762-66B5-4EC6-8D25-4BCBA262841A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Funny how things turn out.....neighbor found the buck today and called me to pick up what was left after the coyotes finished with him.....5 weeks later. Not enough of him left to do an autopsy for bullet performance

How far away did the deer go from where you shot it?

-- Scott

swampokie

WKR
anyone shoot 160 grain out of 338 win mag. double tap ammo? I have 3 boxes and 160 gr seems a little light out of a 338? ttsx that is

Last edited:

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
How far away did the deer go from where you shot it?

-- Scott
He was about 1/4 mile from where I shot him but not sure if he wandered a few days before finally dying. He was in an area where I never would have thought to look. He was in different area from the direction he ran....behind my neighbors barn

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’d lay more money on a shitty shot than a shitty bullet.
Go for it.....I guess anything is possible....but then again you don’t know me or my ability, and I don’t know yours so I won’t follow you down the road you took. With the fact that there are numerous stories similar to my experience (which I posted a picture and “a picture is worth a thousand words”)and Barnes appears to be changing over to the TTSX, there is a known problem with them. Moral of the story for me is, I just don’t have any confidence in the TSX after my experience or those of others. My “smith” told me a similar story about a lost elk when I told him I was switching to the Barnes TSX from traditional lead core and Nosler Partitions for an upcoming sheep/goat hunt. I felt like you, that it had to be some yahoo who couldn’t shoot and wanted to find something other than himself to blame. The accuracy with the TSX was certainly much better than the partitions. I will only be using the TTSX or LRX from now on; unfortunately they aren’t available in the weight I would prefer in .257. You won’t find the same negative feedback on them so why chance it. Shooting is mostly a mental game and without confidence in my gear or ammunition there is no point in taking the shot. If you like the TSX and have confidence in them by all means use them.

16Bore

WKR
Anything’s possible. You said you rushed, you thought you missed, and it was 300 yards....not 289 or 314, but 300. The picture of the “unopened” TSX isn’t “the bullet” that came from the deer your buddy found.

So yeah, anything is possible.

wapitibob

WKR
I've shot multiple Antelope with the TSX, hitting a rib at most and the results have been stellar with fist size exits. I was told years ago, heavy for caliber Berger, light for caliber Barnes and have followed that advise. The 140 TSX is going close to 3500 out of my STW.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot multiple Antelope with the TSX, hitting a rib at most and the results have been stellar with fist size exits. I was told years ago, heavy for caliber Berger, light for caliber Barnes and have followed that advise. The 140 TSX is going close to 3500 out of my STW.
Probably very good advice. In this same .257 Weatherby I have a very accurate load with the Barnes 100gr TTSX with velocity just over 3700FPS and this will probably be my new Whitetail load and rifle. I would have chosen this load for whitetail but wanted to try out my sheep/goat load on an actual game animal. Instead of trying to push this as a sheep/goat rifle I think I’ll just go back to the .280 AI with 139 gr LRX. Good velocity, more energy and super accurate. 3 shot 100yd group I just shot about 2 hours ago.

Attachments

• D6ED3971-BF88-414B-A9E5-956463244334.jpeg
    D6ED3971-BF88-414B-A9E5-956463244334.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 9