Anyone shot the Hoyt Z1s

DuckDogDr

WKR
Going to try and shoot some bows this week. Was wondering if anyone had handled yet at their shop?

I bought one a few days ago and made a thread about it recently in this forum section regarding comparisons between the Z1S and a PSE Omen.

The short of it is my compound experience is limited (mostly been shooting trad the last few years) and I wanted something fast last year so I bought an Omen. After a couple of months I had reason to return it to my local shop for a refund (a problem with the shop rather than a huge problem with the bow) and I bought a Z1S as a replacement.

Omen stats
68# (wouldn't get to 70#)
27.5in draw length.
85% let off.
500gn arrow - 269fps.
490gn arrow - 275fps.
480gn arrow - 279fps.

Z1S stats
71.5#
28in draw length.
85% let off.
490gn arrow - 273fps.

Despite being slightly more poundage than the Omen, the Z1S is much nicer to draw and shoot., Compared to the Omen it's like butter, and I am/was a big fan of the Omen. I reckon I hold the Omen on target a little better but part of that could be me only shooting the Z1S briefly recently and also after having a couple of months break from compound so I've lost some condition.

I think the Z1S is a fantastic bow so far and 490gn at 273fps is fantastic performance at a regular draw length. I'm very excited to go on some hunts with it a.s.a.p.

Marble

WKR
I shot one at 60ish #so the other day. Very impressed. Almost enough to replace my Axius. My Axius shoots a 520 grain arrow at 5
270, not sure the ZL1 would really make much of a difference.

But I was really impressed. Liked it better than the VTM.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
I shot one at 60ish #so the other day. Very impressed. Almost enough to replace my Axius. My Axius shoots a 520 grain arrow at 5
270, not sure the ZL1 would really make much of a difference.

But I was really impressed. Liked it better than the VTM.

Is it just as quiet as the VTM

Marble

WKR
Is it just as quiet as the VTM
It sure seemed like it. I really couldn't find something to complain about. I might go back in with my arrows and shoot it maxed out just to compare it to my axius at the same draw weight.

sndmn11

WKR
I have shot the z1s a good bit in the typical tester-outer configuration of no sight and within 10 yards. We are writing a review for here on the Elite Omnia and the two are pretty much the same thing, so I wanted to have some frame of reference in case anyone asked.

I think the Z1s and the Omnia are darned near the peak of what a hunting bow should be. The Z1s might be a touch smoother dropping into the draw stops, but my guess it is a lower let off than the Omnia. The Z1s has been a fps or two ahead of the Omnia everytime I've shot it through a chronograph, and both are on pace for what their calculated IBO should be.

If one liked the Z1s and had a good shop to support them, there's nothing that you are giving up in buying one compared to what a typical hunting bow is though to be. I think brace height is becoming irrelevant due to designing stiffer risers, and forgiving is level nock travel and a direct power stroke. I say a good shop for support because if a need to shim cams comes up in tuning, but I haven't talked to any shop that has had a troubled Z1s.

I do want to point out that a ~350fps bow at 60lbs can accomplish what the typical sub 340fps bow does at 70lbs.

I think people are scared away thinking it's a harsh turbo cam bow, and it isn't at all. I say go shoot one, and try an Omnia if there's a chance to as well.

Werk

FNG
Long time lurker here.

I shoot a Z1S. It’s a fantastic bow. My notes this far.

-it will keep you honest. Aggressive cam, at 71lbs, and 80 percent let off makes sure that I keep proper form and don’t make mistakes. I thought I hated it for a while, but realized it was me, not the bow.

-incredibly fast. I’m shooting 430gr at 29 draw and it’s stupid fast. I left my slider on 60yards, shooting at a 15yd 18-1 target, and hit the top angled panel of the target still. Looking at very little drop out to 60 at my arrow weight.

-it’s just as smooth as my other bows, just a touch stiffer. I think people are worried about it being a “turbo” now, but I have zero issues with the draw cycle at a heavy weight. I’m not just saying that, I mean it.

-I’m finally tuning the bow this week, after a thousand arrows or so. Throwing on new strings and going to spend some time tuning it for me, and I don’t think I’ll have issues. Maybe some shim swaps, but that’s nothing.

This is the best how that I have owned yet. It’s not very forgiving as it is, and I’m not sure how much tuning will help with that, but I enjoy having to shoot correctly and not getting a break on bad shots or form. It’s taken me a couple weeks to really jive with it, but last night I truly started enjoying the bow.

DD7DF975-95F9-4400-8449-E444060A99F3.jpegDDD27D08-F677-457B-8B01-CB76E0F03D1A.jpeg

I typically don't like mucking around with pre-made sight tapes and tend to just stick a blank tape on my sight and mark it as I walk out. Definitely plan on getting out as far as I can for practice, but here are three at 50 metres yesterday. I ran out of light, otherwise I would have kept going further back.

Still walking the sight out this afternoon but shot this at 70 metres before I lost the light. I can work on it and get better for sure but I'm very happy with how I'm shooting this bow after a two month break from compound, and the bow is a dream to shoot.

Bit of follow up for anyone interested. Took the Z1S out for a hunt over the weekend here. Saw heaps of pigs and deer and got these three on the ground. Stoked to get out with a compound again after my other one being broken for so long.

Arrow is 490gns as mentioned above.
300 spine bowhunters Domain Eliminator shaft with the 55gn insert/sleeve on the front, 125gn Kayuga Pilot Cut broadhead (with no bleeders in) and some four fletch Easy Vanes on the back.

I went to the club and shot a few rounds as well and managed to land three arrows in about a 5 inch circle at 84 metres, which is about 91-92 yards. No picture but you'll have to take my word for it.

At first, I felt like the Omen held on target just a touch better than the Z1S but now I'm not so sure. I had the Z1S at 80% let off initially, wound it to 85% for a little bit and didn't like it. Went back to 80% to get the slightly shorter draw length and more holding weight to help me press the bow towards target better.

Hopefully I'll have a few more critters on the ground with this bow in the coming weeks.

A bit more follow up from me. Went out with some mates on Sunday and chased some goats around. I shot two - this young billy and a young nanny for meat (no pic because CBF). Loving the way this bow shoots for sure and I'll get plenty more critters in the coming months I hope.

rojocop

FNG
My wife has a Hoyt, I have a PSE, and I LOVE her bow because the handle just feels so right in my hands.

The other day I looked for the first time at Mathew’s and the handle feels nicer than my wife’s Hoyt! it was like velvet in my hands

Needless to say, my next bow may be a Mathew’s

For anyone else who might be interested...
I had a bit of time today so I took the 125gn points off my arrows and shot them with 200gn points, just to see what they would do. Stats of the bow are the same but the arrows are 565gn instead of 490gn. I got an average over three arrows of 257fps! Fantastic performance in my book. Very efficient, even at a 28in draw.

Once I run out of 125gn heads I might get some 150's and shoot an arrow around 515gn, just because. Trajectory isn't super important to me for most of my hunting.

I figured I'd put another update in here seeing as I've been using the Z1S a lot and they're carrying it over for 2024.

Plenty more critters on the ground with this bow and the same arrow setup posted above. It's been beautiful to hunt with.

I've since put some different limbs and new strings on the bow and it's pulling 77#. The 495gn arrows are doing 285fps, which is really nice. Looking to try some lighter arrows from a different company soon and if they are too close to 300fps and fixed blade broadheads are too hard to tune I might dial it back a little bit. See what happens anyway.

JrCaps

FNG
I’ve been shooting a RX7U for the last 1.5 year. I shot a Z1S at the pro shop and really liked to rawness to the cam feel. If only they made it in a 33 ata I’d purchase one, my DL IS 31.5 and the Z1S only goes up to 30 inches if I recall.

I think you're a bit mixed up there, mate. You're correct that it won't go to 31.5 inches (it maxes out at 30in) but it's already a 33in ATA bow.

I shot these two billy goats with my Z1S yesterday. The first critters I've chased since getting the heavier limbs put on it.

JrCaps

FNG
Correct @Wilderlife. We removed some twist from the cables and couldn’t get it past 30..25 DL. Glad it’s working for you, it’s a sweet bow. Congrats on all the kills.

MattB

WKR
Correct @Wilderlife. We removed some twist from the cables and couldn’t get it past 30..25 DL. Glad it’s working for you, it’s a sweet bow. Congrats on all the kills.
Removing cable twists would shorten the DL.

Hoyt custom shop can build bows with a riser from one bow and a cam from another - not sure if that sort of combo could result in a longer max DL?

I would have probably gotten a z1s if it had a longer DL. That said I'm not disappointed with my ventum pro 33

I built some new arrows for my Z1S recently. Still drawing 77# @ 28in and these new 455gn arrows are doing 303fps. If it's hard to tune fixed blade heads at that speed I'll wind it back a bit I reckon.