Anyone shot/owned CVA Cascade?

Marshfly

WKR
A good friend of mine bought a CVA Cascade as his first rifle. He came with me to the range to zero and dope a new Tikka I had just bought. Within two weeks he had sold the CVA and bought a Tikka.

I shot the CVA. Stock design was horrendous. Made for way more recoil and muzzle flip than was necessary with that 308. It grouped ok but anything built today should.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
A good friend of mine bought a CVA Cascade as his first rifle. He came with me to the range to zero and dope a new Tikka I had just bought. Within two weeks he had sold the CVA and bought a Tikka.

I shot the CVA. Stock design was horrendous. Made for way more recoil and muzzle flip than was necessary with that 308. It grouped ok but anything built today should.
Thanks for the reply. Confirms that I should use the old "buy once, cry once" line here.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
It also matters what cartridge you are looking for. Some are available in one and not the other. Everything I have seen on the CVA is that it is one of the best entry level rifles. The cascade XT and LRH are supposed to be even better. I'm personally waiting for the 7PRC Cascade XT to hit my local shop to check it out. I have never shot a Tikka, so I can't compare, but they also don't offer the 7PRC.

Kyguy

FNG
I handled a few Cascades at SW a couple years ago, all of them had warped stocks that contacted the barrel on the left side, which is saying something because the free float gap was generous. Nothing that sand paper couldn't fix, but I'm not a fan of any of the soft touch stock coatings, they all end up looking like hell and peeling after hard use. The rifle initially appealed because of the stouter sporter barrel contour, and was threaded. I just don't care for the real skinny buggy whip style barrels.

After the hell I went through with CVA over a $200 muzzleloader that flat out had a barrel that was not concentric internally (that they did NOTHING about), I can't talk myself into handing them any more money. It truly was a fiasco, and when I posted repeatedly on their Facebook group about it, one of their marketing guys chimed in and ended up sending $150 worth of various Power Belt bullets to try. Let that sink in... they wouldn't replace a barrel on a $200 break action rifle, but they sent me $150 worth of bullets to try in it..... that shot horribly as well. I ended up trying nearly 40 bullet and powder combo's through it and none of them shot better than 6", 3 shot groups at 100 yds, except ONE that I finally found after getting some 200gr T/C Shockwave sabots, it's under 2" consistently. That rifle sits in the corner of the safe, I refuse to sell that garbage to anyone.

If you dig deep on the web there's a lot of info out there about bad barrels from CVA and Bergara. They do a very good job of suppressing any negativity about their products on forums, especially the one's they sponsor. I mean as far as actually deleting posts or having them deleted. I played that game with them too.