Anyone shooting or reloading .300 Savage?

WyoKid

WKR
I happen to have a .300 Savage from my Dad in an old Remington 700. I remember shooting it as a kid and it was a tack driver. I want to dust the cobwebs off and work up some reloads. I know factory is still available but limited to 150 and 180 gr bullets and it can be hard to find.

Since it is an older cartridge, I am wondering if anyone has worked up any loads using more current powders and bullets. Also, where you are sourcing brass?

Mag_7s

WKR
Wow, there's a cartridge i haven't heard spoken in a long long time. Each of my grandfather's had one, now they have been passed down to me.
I'd like to be able to reload if these cartridges become obsolete, so I'm following.

Rokbar

WKR
Following as well. Once I decide on the best powder to use, I plan on trying 165 gr. ballistic tips as I have several.

Rich M

WKR
This is a good cartridge.

If you can't source brass, will have to buy a case of ammo when you can find it and use that brass.

2muchhp

WKR
I have one in rem 700 too, well handed down from gramps to my son now.
I can't remember the exact load but I know its 150gr Sierra pro hunters with imr 4064. Haven't shot it past 300yrds but out to that it's impressive.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I loaded for a buddy who had a Savage model 99. Since most all of those rifles are older I was somewhat cautious. I loaded 42 gr IMR 4064 under a 150 nosler BT. I also had my mom's Remington model 721 and loaded for it too. Can't find that data though.

Recently had the opposite situation. I was given some 300 savage ammo by a friend whose husband had passed away. I didn’t have a gun for it and it took me quite a while to find someone who did.

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
This is a good cartridge.

If you can't source brass, will have to buy a case of ammo when you can find it and use that brass.

Yeah, I have some vintage Winchester and Remington Factor ammo from my Dad but I hate to shoot it....call me nostalgic. I did see Brownells has casings.

Last edited:
OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
I loaded for a buddy who had a Savage model 99. Since most all of those rifles are older I was somewhat cautious. I loaded 42 gr IMR 4064 under a 150 nosler BT. I also had my mom's Remington model 721 and loaded for it too. Can't find that data though.

I agree. If I had a Model 99 definitely wouldn't load hot. With that bottle neck cartridge and the 99 extractor, I've read that the case will stick on hot loads. With a bolt action, it apparently is less of a problem.

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
MTPipeliner - just my luck. A day late and a dollar short 😂

If you run across any other ammo you want to get rid of in the future, post it up and I bet there will be 1/2 a dozen people on this forum that will buy it.

Rich M

WKR
Yeah, I have some vintage Winchester Remington Factor ammo from my Dad but I hate to shoot it....call me nostalgic. I did see Brownells has casing.
Hang on to your nostalgic ammo. There should be some factory stuff available somewhere - you gotta keep looking and be patient, buy it when you can.

87TT

WKR
I actually have two rifles with that cartridge. A m99 Savage and a Remington m81 autoloader. My last batch of ammo I loaded was 125 gr SP with 43 gr IMR4895.

SDHNTR

WKR
You had a 700 or a 721? If a 700, must’ve been a Classic edition. They were more common in 721. I had one in 721 and still own a 99. The 99’s definitely need to stay on the mild side of things. Mine would get sticky about 2/3 the way to book max. As for brass, you may be better off finding factory amm right now and shooting through it.

2muchhp

WKR
You had a 700 or a 721? If a 700, must’ve been a Classic edition. They were more common in 721. I had one in 721 and still own a 99. The 99’s definitely need to stay on the mild side of things. Mine would get sticky about 2/3 the way to book max. As for brass, you may be better off finding factory amm right now and shooting through it.
If I remember correctly in a couple of years in the early 90s they made a BDL too.

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
Definitely a 700 Remington Classic. It is shows a fair amount of use and know it was one of my Dad's first guns. I wish I knew more of the background of it as it almost looks like it was handed down from my grandfather.

OP
WyoKid

WyoKid

WKR
Anyone tried any all cooper bullets? My guess is that there may be expansion problems given the velocity at longer ranges. While 150s and 180s cup and core are the go to pills, has anyone tried 130 gr?

Hornady makes a .308 bullet specifically for the 300 Savage. My father reloads them for his 760, but his loads wont even begin to chamber in my 7600. So make sure to test chamber one before you make a ton.