Anyone saddle hunting elk?

Hey elk hunters,

Curious if anyone on here has experience saddle hunting elk? I went out first couple days of season and sat in some trees over well used trails. They happened to be well used by deer and not elk while I was there. Later I located a bunch of elk higher up on the mountain, and found trails they are using and lots of fresh sign. The elk I watched and called back and forth with didn't appear to be moving much, maybe less than 300 yards during a day. So I'm looking for ideas on how to setup on them best. Picking a trail between bedding and feeding area seems like the call, but there are so many trails on the mountainside that I don't know if that'll put me close enough if I choose the wrong one. And if they aren't moving much, not sure if I can get into a tree without making so much noise they come to take a peek while I'm halfway up a tree. I am currently doing SRT rope climbing as my climbing method. Maybe I could get away with it if I did my climb in the dark...

Would love to hear any ideas y'all have. Thanks!

OP
K
Man, sounds like whitetail hunting. Lol.

Yeah, climb in the dark, stay all day.
A little bit! Although my experience whitetail hunting doesn't involve lugging a backpack full of climbing gear up a mountain in the dark. I used to have a 10 minute flat land stroll to get into our treestands in Iowa. I just love getting to watch animals from above when they have no idea I'm above em. Can get away with so much more fidgeting, rangefinding, etc.

I did two 7 hour sits already but I think I just wasn't close enough to em.

What if you’re on the wrong trail? What if they’re not moving much? Exactly. Then you’ll have to elk hunt instead of deer hunt. I had some guys from Pa ask me to drive a herd of elk to them once. It didn’t work.

If you want to ambush elk that’s fine. But to pin yourself down to one tree like that for is not increasing your odds for elk. If you were watching them enter an ag field (like deer) or had some other situation to pinpoint their location that would be different. Yeah I know you can kill elk like that. But in my opinion it’s not the best way to skin a cat. If you’re in the mountains and want to setup just use a ground blind or a killer perch. Setting up just above trails that run benches is just as good as being in a tree. Better since you can make a move in the blink of an eye. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
No, but I was eyeing a tree on the downwind side of the trail they use to enter a meadow most nights. Maybe something to play with for next year.

I use a saddle. It’s light enough to carry into certain areas. Quick enough to get up and down if needed. Good tool to have.

I have an arizona cow tag this year that I'm bringing my saddle to possibly sit water holes with. I'm interested to hear if anyone has experience doing this?