Anyone rockin' a nut ruck?

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Yes I’ve used it, one of their fanny packs (that’s what it is) was modified for us. It held essentials that we needed- weather meter, ballistics tables, compass, signal mirror, etc. Tried wearing it with a pack- sucked. We all went to strapping it to the top of the ruck, then grabbing when the ruck was dropped. However, after getting a bino harness that can hold those essentials, most have went to that.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback, Form.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I have not tried one, but I'm still curious to. I was wanting to wear it under a pack. What didn't you like about that? I was hoping the waist belt would be thin/minimalist enough that it wouldn't bug me under my packs waist belt.

Do you remember if you guys had any preference on size? Trying to decide between the large and medium.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have not tried one, but I'm still curious to. I was wanting to wear it under a pack. What didn't you like about that? I was hoping the waist belt would be thin/minimalist enough that it wouldn't bug me under my packs waist belt.

Chafing. Anything under a hip belt drives me nuts as well. I don’t even wear a belt for that reason.

Do you remember if you guys had any preference on size? Trying to decide between the large and medium.

Both, but mostly the medium I believe.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I'm gonna give it a go with a medium. I've got a thing coming up week after next that will be a good opportunity for a test drive. I'll try to remember to post up my initial impressions here.

I have done it before. Depending on how youre built and the size of the bag, it can impede your stride. Over a long hike it adds fatigue to hip flexors.

I prefer to run some gear in pouches on my ruck hip belt, a bit in my pants pockets and the rest goes on my bino harness (a small chest rig). I have the basics covered if I get caught without my pack but it wouldn’t be fun.

texag10

WKR
I used a spiritus systems SACK pouch turkey hunting, was a great way to carry a slate, crow call, and some snacks. It did not cause issues with me pack belt (seek outside pack) and I plan to use it big game hunting to get my basic first aid and compass out of my bino harness and carry some snacks to get those out my pack.

Deadfall

WKR
I
Do some of you just not sweat?

I've been on a mission the last few years to minimize the amount of straps and stuff crisscrossing my torso, because all that stuff results in sweaty areas when I get where I'm going. It seems totally counter productive to have a bunch of technical layers that breath well and then cover most of it with nylon staps. I'm down to a Rick Young shock cord bino harness and my pack.

So that's a long way of saying no thanks on more pouches, I guess. Not trying to rain on anyone's party, to each his own.
Just asked my wife the same thing

Yes I’ve used it, one of their fanny packs (that’s what it is) was modified for us. It held essentials that we needed- weather meter, ballistics tables, compass, signal mirror, etc. Tried wearing it with a pack- sucked. We all went to strapping it to the top of the ruck, then grabbing when the ruck was dropped. However, after getting a bino harness that can hold those essentials, most have went to that.
Form, would you give us a brief about what you all carry in your bino harness, where, and why?

I'm placing a large focus on efficiency (and capability) in the field this year and could use some direction.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, would you give us a brief about what you all carry in your bino harness, where, and why?

I'm placing a large focus on efficiency (and capability) in the field this year and could use some direction.

The last couple of years I’ve used the Sitka harness due to comfort and layout.

753182AF-A347-4125-ADD7-53AB53C9F952.jpeg

3F341CFB-1FD1-4E47-A948-E9EDEEFD6CEB.jpeg

Center: LRF Bino, left side of bino pouch is weather meter. Right side of pouch is Mora knife. Back zipper holds licenses.

Left side: spare mag, chapstick

Right side: lighter, knife sharpener, emergency kit (space blanket, button compass, signal mirror, magnifying glass, snickers, fire starter, etc).

So this is a Fanny pack and not some sort of jock strap like I gathered from the title…
I don’t take my pack off even for a quick look over a hill or whatever because one thing sometimes leads to another etc… I use a small pouch on my pack belt to keep extra stuff like snacks that I like handy and doesn’t fit in my bino case.