Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

That is remarkable fuel economy. Another benefit of a diesel is installing an auxiliary tank. You can go a thousand miles or more between fillups. I paid 3.55 for gas in Nevada and the next day I was paying 5 75 in California. That hurt.

Also depends on quality of fuel. IF you happen to be driving past a refinery, you can get FANTASTIC fuel. I filled up north of Philadelphia last year. Best tank of diesel i've ever bought. Driving 75mph with wife, 3 kids, and bed full of camping gear I hand calculated 22mpg

Fatcamp

WKR
I've always been curious about pulling tandem.. I hope you're tugging all that with a 6.7 and not the 7.3. Not that the 7.3 wouldn't do it but my buddies 7.3 pulling a 35ft. empty toy hauler was getting 6mpg. I can't imagine adding another set of wheels and what that does for mpgs

6.2 and a six speed. MPG is 8-9 across SD.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've always been curious about pulling tandem.. I hope you're tugging all that with a 6.7 and not the 7.3. Not that the 7.3 wouldn't do it but my buddies 7.3 pulling a 35ft. empty toy hauler was getting 6mpg. I can't imagine adding another set of wheels and what that does for mpgs

Tandem pulling isn't a big deal so long as your equipment is adequate. We installed the hitch in our truck, the hitch on our camper, and have rebuilt the axles on a few different boat trailers. We check for hot bearings at every stop and make sure tire pressure is good before every trip. 14 tires total.

Our truck has over a 3000# payload capacity which is pretty high for a 250. Camper is a small 26', and boat is a welded 1756, so our combined weight is pretty low. I've never weighed it as I know we are well within limits, but getting to a destination with a boat, generators, AC, and supplies for a week is awesome.

CRJR45

WKR
We did it for three years , lived on the road in this rig , 04 DMax , we got 8 mpg at 72 mph @$5 a gallon for fuel . Pulled like a dream , I had an RV Tandem tow endorsement from MI , never had a problem .

2014-04-12 11.46.52 (1).JPG

Fatcamp

WKR
We did it for three years , lived on the road in this rig , 04 DMax , we got 8 mpg at 72 mph @$5 a gallon for fuel . Pulled like a dream , I had an RV Tandem tow endorsement from MI , never had a problem .

View attachment 749987

That's an important point. I live in free USA and can do about whatever I want. Not everyone is so lucky. Lots of rules about tandem pulling, and they vary by state.

CRJR45

WKR
That's an important point. I live in free USA and can do about whatever I want. Not everyone is so lucky. Lots of rules about tandem pulling, and they vary by state.
Yes , but reciprocity means when you travel you are only held to the laws of the state you're registered in , if you're legal at home , you're legal everywhere .

Fatcamp

WKR
Yes , but reciprocity means when you travel you are only held to the laws of the state you're registered in , if you're legal at home , you're legal everywhere .

Ya, but I wouldn't want to debate it on the side of the road in California or New Jersey.

Just like people registering UTVs in Montana get jacked up over it.

CRJR45

WKR
Ya, but I wouldn't want to debate it on the side of the road in California or New Jersey.

Just like people registering UTVs in Montana get jacked up over it.
We hit the east coast , NY , Vt , Pa , Va , Tn , Ga , Fl , then out west , Meeker Co was my favorite , Nebraska sucks , LOL . Never had a problem in three years .

I would like to get a new truck and considering going from my F250 Powerstroke to a GMC 1500. I got the F250 to pull a large toy hauler that we sold a couple years ago. After going a few years now without the trailer we dont really think we want another, or at least not such a large one.

The thing I love about my F250 though is the space and the diesel power. I often have it completely loaded up for hunting trips. I love how much power it has but it really is not needed. The 1500 really isnt that much smaller as the width is the same, the bed is 3" shorter I think.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you regret it?
I went from an f150 to f250 but have a four wheel camper in the bed full time. I wouldn't go back

Norcal18

FNG
Depends on how often and how much weight you tow honstley. I used to have an 06 F-350 Powerstroke that was tuned, loved the truck. Wife and I had our first kid and sold it 6 years ago. Just bought a 22 F-150 Tremor and LOVE it and i was a diesel fanatic before. I had to ask myself if I really need to by a 3/4 when I might only justify needing it 5% of the time. Plus living it CA the extra fuel cost of diesel, most costly repairs and extra maintance made it a no brainer for me. Most impressive thing is the 6.0 made 325hp and 570ft/tq and the 3.5 ecoboost makes 400hp and 500ft/tq making it a blast to drive.

I went from an F250 to a 1500 Silverado but I have the 6.2 so I didn’t lose any power. 420 horses and still get just a little over 20 mpg on the highway. The bed is slightly smaller so fully loaded on a trip may be tight but I have a hitch carrier to put more gear on. No problems putting my 3 kids in the back.
I never pulled trailers with my F250 so no need there.
Would I buy another 3/4 or 1 ton? Yes
Do I love my current half ton? Yes
I just love trucks lol