Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

Fatcamp

WKR
20240603_181346.jpg

I could maybe do this with a Tundra or other half ton, but this F250 does it no problem.

We run the interstate at 70mph. It would go faster for sure but it's a lot of tires and we are typically pulling in the heat.

There's a group of people on Facebook tandem pulling bumper pulls with half tons, but honestly, this just makes more sense.

That mpg of 22.5 the screen shows is wrong, but the 820 miles was 38.9 gal or 21 mpg. You can go a long ways on a tank was my point.
That is remarkable fuel economy. Another benefit of a diesel is installing an auxiliary tank. You can go a thousand miles or more between fillups. I paid 3.55 for gas in Nevada and the next day I was paying 5 75 in California. That hurt.

gearguywb

WKR
I replaced the fuel tank in my F350 Tremor with a 60 gallon. On long trips I can get well over 1,000 miles. Using the fuel purchase app, it can be a substantial savings

Fatcamp

WKR
I replaced the fuel tank in my F350 Tremor with a 60 gallon. On long trips I can get well over 1,000 miles. Using the fuel purchase app, it can be a substantial savings

My F250 has a 48 gallon tank.

It's a brutal fill up when we let it get empty. Add in boat tanks and gas for the generators and you usually can't do it in one fill. Most pumps kick me out and make me restart.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 50 gallon slip tank in my F250. If I ever had to fill up that and the main tank while I was in town, the pump would shut down, and I'd have to swipe my card again. I considered that a small price to pay for the convenience of being able to run over twice as far between fill ups.

Randle

WKR
I have both and pick the right tool for the job when needed.
The older I get I really like the ride of my 1/2 tom for daily driver and scouting shed hunting trips.
If I am pulling most trailers well then big truck is used.

I really notice how heavy my truck is when I do any off road trails. It has the shortest wheel base of the f250's, so it'll go anywhere, but I have to go real slow, and I know my tires don't appreciate it.

TSAMP

WKR
I really notice how heavy my truck is when I do any off road trails. It has the shortest wheel base of the f250's, so it'll go anywhere, but I have to go real slow, and I know my tires don't appreciate it.
Seems like the typical f250 gasser is only around 1000-1500 lbs heavier. Diesel adds another 1klbs. At least that's what my simple googling showed. I've been back and fourth on this very topic and would have 250 if not for the ride quality on and offroad.

Seems like the typical f250 gasser is only around 1000-1500 lbs heavier. Diesel adds another 1klbs. At least that's what my simple googling showed. I've been back and fourth on this very topic and would have 250 if not for the ride quality on and offroad.
My truck is 7000 with me and a half tank of gas. The modern diesels are 600 lbs heavier. That is also why a diesel has less payload, but slightly higher towing limits. Until you get to drw, the modern diesels motors are way overbore for the chassis.

fmyth

WKR
I saw something on the news a couple weeks ago that said the average annual cost of vehicle ownership right now is $12k/year.......NOT including car payments. What on earth. Does anybody on here (that drives a reasonable amount of miles) even come close to that number?
12k must include depreciation.

12k must include depreciation.
I drive about 30k miles a year. My fuel ranges from 6-9k per year depending on how much I drive and cost of fuel. That's average 11 mpg. Contracting business. Truck $46k total cost/150000 miles life span. = 32 cents a mile plus repairs and maintenance. Yeah it gets expensive.

fmyth

WKR
I drive about 30k miles a year. My fuel ranges from 6-9k per year depending on how much I drive and cost of fuel. That's average 11 mpg. Contracting business. Truck $46k total cost/150000 miles life span. = 32 cents a mile plus repairs and maintenance. Yeah it gets expensive.
I get it. I owned a service business for many years with a dozen trucks on the road. The IRS standard deduction is 67 cents a mile this year and I think that's too low.

If I went to a 150 from a 350 or even 250 diesel, I'd try to get one with the 300 6 in it. had one and got bit over 20 mpg with it. Checked fuel when prices went up over $4 a gal and a gas truck getting 20mph is less expensive to run than a diesel truck getting 18 mph! My dodge did better than 18 mpg but only when running MTY. Gas wins out on that. Guy I was leased to pulling RV's had about 1989 Ford with diesel he got over 10mph pulling loaded and right at 18MPH MTY. Big difference was life span. At 750,000 He got worried and put a new engine in it. Got a call from the shop that did it for him and they told him nothing wrong with the old engine, probably would have made a million miles, nice thing about diesels. Presently I have a 1993 Ford super 250, I haul a ton of pellet stove pellets at a time with it. Has the old International diesel in it with over 350,000 miles on it. Get's 16MPG MTY and never checked it loaded. Thing runs like a new engine. If you have an ongoing use for a diesel, can't be beat by any gas engine, same time you don't have the need, the gas should be less expensive to run the first 250,000 miles. less expensive gas, less oil on oil changes. Less expensive tires, not normally a need for an engine heater in cold weather!

TxAgHntr

FNG
I had 2 diff F250s, gas and diesel…downsized to F150, even with the standard length bed (not super short) and couldn’t do it. Ended up gettin into a 2022 Chevy 2500 gas and am super happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I had 2 diff F250s, gas and diesel…downsized to F150, even with the standard length bed (not super short) and couldn’t do it. Ended up gettin into a 2022 Chevy 2500 gas and am super happy so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used those 2500 GMC gas trucks at my construction job prior to going to school.

15 years of being overloaded and speeding and very few problems.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a GMC 1500 to a 2500HD Diesel back in 2006 and haven't looked back. I'm on my 2nd 2500 and can't imagine having anything other than a Diesel. I can tow what I want I have all the power I need and I get pretty good mileage 21 hwy and 14 city.

View attachment 724061

I could maybe do this with a Tundra or other half ton, but this F250 does it no problem.

We run the interstate at 70mph. It would go faster for sure but it's a lot of tires and we are typically pulling in the heat.

There's a group of people on Facebook tandem pulling bumper pulls with half tons, but honestly, this just makes more sense.
I've always been curious about pulling tandem.. I hope you're tugging all that with a 6.7 and not the 7.3. Not that the 7.3 wouldn't do it but my buddies 7.3 pulling a 35ft. empty toy hauler was getting 6mpg. I can't imagine adding another set of wheels and what that does for mpgs