Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

I would like to get a new truck and considering going from my F250 Powerstroke to a GMC 1500. I got the F250 to pull a large toy hauler that we sold a couple years ago. After going a few years now without the trailer we dont really think we want another, or at least not such a large one.

The thing I love about my F250 though is the space and the diesel power. I often have it completely loaded up for hunting trips. I love how much power it has but it really is not needed. The 1500 really isnt that much smaller as the width is the same, the bed is 3" shorter I think.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you regret it?

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
It depends on what your needs are. I went from from a 2500 to a F150, sometimes I kinda wish I still had the diesel but I don’t regret making the switch. Being able to get around in the mountains and woods is more important to me than a little extra power in town or on the interstate. For hunting, I don’t think you can beat an F150. Any gas half ton is cheaper to maintain than a diesel also. Tires, oil, filters, etc.

OP
MuleyFever
I dont plan to get another diesel. If I get another 3/4 ton it will be gas. My main concern is I will regret giving up the space to haul my gear both in the cab and the bed.

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
I dont plan to get another diesel. If I get another 3/4 ton it will be gas. My main concern is I will regret giving up the space to haul my gear both in the cab and the bed.
I don’t think you’re giving up much, if any, room by going to some half tons. There’s more room in my ‘19 F150 than there was in my ‘15 Duramax it seems like

hunterjmj

WKR
Have both and prefer my 2500. I like the taller ride and the pulling power. My wife's 1500 is a nicer ride though. Both aren't great on fuel so we got a used Highlander for the daily stuff.

OP
MuleyFever
Have both and prefer my 2500. I like the taller ride and the pulling power. My wife's 1500 is a nicer ride though. Both aren't great on fuel so we got a used Highlander for the daily stuff.
I hadn't considered the ride height. I now think maybe the 1500 GMC AT4 with the 3L diesel for the MPG advantage or the 2500 AT4 with the gas motor.

I need to drive them though. I know the one thing I hate about the GMs are the monstrous hood. I really like the seat height and front view in the F250.

elkguide

WKR
Don't need a 3/4-ton truck most days and today's new motors in the half tons will pull most everything I pull but when it comes to stopping a load.... is why I will always have a 3/4-ton truck. My next truck might even be a gas job, but the stopping issue will always be a decision maker for me. Several friends have down sized and since they all still occasionally still pull a loaded construction trailer, each of them has done a brake swap/rebuild to add more stopping power. I'm going to stick with my 2500s.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've had both an now drive an F250 for fun.

We have it to tow our camper and boat but as time goes on we use it for everything. Gas motor, full bed crew cab. It's the best truck I've ever had for how I live.

Fatcamp

WKR
Don't need a 3/4-ton truck most days and today's new motors in the half tons will pull most everything I pull but when it comes to stopping a load.... is why I will always have a 3/4-ton truck. My next truck might even be a gas job, but the stopping issue will always be a decision maker for me. Several friends have down sized and since they all still occasionally still pull a loaded construction trailer, each of them has done a brake swap/rebuild to add more stopping power. I'm going to stick with my 2500s.

Ya, half ton fans always talk about what they are rated to pull, not how they stop or what they can carry.

We spend a lot of time year round traveling on the interstate and in campgrounds and there are some scary setups out there that by all accounts may be within tow capacity. Not for me.

wapitibob

WKR
I went from an '99 F350 7.3 crew cab to a 2020 f150 crew cab. The f150 has more power and almost as much torque as the 7.3. The 2020 f150 cab is the same cab they use in the f250 and f350.
445,000 miles on the '99 , 78,000 on the f150 and not one day I wished I had a new f350 diesel.

colby12

WKR
I’ve went from 2500 diesel to 1500 gas twice and now I’m on my third diesel 2500 and will probably own it until the wheels fall off. I’m a slow learner. I bought an older Tacoma to run around in to alleviate any desire I’d have for a lighter gasser. I’m pretty content with the current combo.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hadn't considered the ride height. I now think maybe the 1500 GMC AT4 with the 3L diesel for the MPG advantage or the 2500 AT4 with the gas motor.

I need to drive them though. I know the one thing I hate about the GMs are the monstrous hood. I really like the seat height and front view in the F250.
That 3.0 is AWESOME. I’d drive around town with a grin on my face getting 25-28mgp. In the right conditions I could pull 30. The at4 is very nice but the price increase from 2020-2023 is hard to swallow. They’re getting out of sight!

SWOHTR

WKR
Many overlook the value of having heavier frames, suspension, breaks, etc. of the 3/4 tons when traveling rough terrain on a regular basis.

Our Forest Service roads can beat a half ton up pretty well.

That’s two people on here that have mentioned braking, which is a lot more than I thought would! Brakes, brakes, brakes!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My main concern is I will regret giving up the space to haul my gear both in the cab and the bed.
Yep. I picked up a lower mile '16 Tundra and my wife said "so, which truck are you replacing.....your old Toyota or the F-350"? I chuckled and my 16yo daughter looked at her like she was crazy, and my daughter said "I really don't think he's getting rid of either". She really does get me. My F-350 with the 7.3L PSD, crew cab, long bed, topper, and manual transmission.......a man would have to be crazy to give up all that. And give up my 34yo Toyota......ya, right.....SMH.

When I pack up for elk camp, there is no way I could fit all that stuff in the back of the Tundra (6.5' bed), with or without a topper. My 200qt cooler would fill a third of it. If I gave up the old Toyota I'd have to get an ATV, and if I gave up the F-350 I'd have to get an enclosed trailer. It's cheaper and easier just to keep them.

A month ago I took the topper off and hauled 4 tons of compost/topsoil (two trips) and almost 1100 sq ft of sod. And Saturday I filled the back from the bed to the topper all the way back with my daughter's stuff as she and my SIL moved into a new place. It's nice to be able to haul stuff when you need to and get it done in as few loads as possible.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I went from a Ram 1500 gas to a Ram 2500 Cummins and appreciate the value of the heavier frames, suspension, brakes, etc. of the 3/4 tons. I love my 5.9 Cummins but would probably go gas next time because of the higher initial and maintenance costs of the diesel and because I don't need the pulling power. The ride may be a bit rougher but the truck is a lot tougher. 90K miles before brake pads need changing instead of 25K is just one example.