Anyone Quit Hunting and Then Start Again?

Skook

FNG
Hello,

I hope I'm not violating any rules of decorum too terribly, but this post will simultaneously serve as my FNG introduction and pose a question to the members. Probably like many of us, I started hunting with my dad as a kid here in PA. Basically, if there was season on something, we got after it, or, at least, gave it a try. Deer, bear, turkey, small game, waterfowl, groundhogs, even crows and predators weren't safe. Of course, being from PA, whitetail deer hunting was the main attraction.

Fast forward over 40 years, and I haven't hunted at all for a few years. My dad is sidelined with declining health, and my son never really took to hunting like I had hoped he would. He hunted deer with me up through high school, but I could tell he wasn't very passionate about it. He went off to college and now lives and works in an urban environment, and I doubt he'll take up hunting again. I do get him out fishing once in a while. My daughter hunted with me once and shot a pheasant. She didn't like the killing part and never hunted again.

Anyway, since my dad and son stopped hunting, I stopped too. Every so often I get the urge to get back out there, but usually find an excuse not to (work, CWD, ticks and Lyme, etc.). I plan to retire in a few years and will be in my late 50s then. Hopefully, with some extra time on my hands, I'll find the drive to hunt again.

So, has anyone quit hunting for one reason or another and then picked up where they left off years later, or is the more likely outcome that the longer you're away from it, the less likely it is that you'll get back to it?

I know the answer is different for each individual. I'm just starting to think about my upcoming retirement years, and this is one thing on my mind.

Thanks for any input.

nobody

WKR
I took roughly an 8 year hunting hiatus when I was younger, between high school sports, church service, newlywed life, and my college years. I didn't do it because I was sour on hunting or anything. I just didn't have the time or financial means between those things and being a newlywed, and something had to give.

What I noticed was every additional year I took off from hunting, I missed it less and less. I always knew I wanted to get back into it, but each year it was less heartbreaking when fall would come and go without me ever even lacing up my boots. If I had gone several more years without doing it, eventually I might not have even thought twice about it ever.

I compare it to maintaining a campfire. If you stop feeding it, the flames will burn down really fast leaving just coals. The coals will last for quite awhile and stay hot, but it'll take some work to get them back into a flame.

The coals are like our deeply rooted memories and desire tied to hunting. The flames are like our outward enthusiasm. Enthusiasm dies when there's nothing feeding it, but the deep memories and desire tend to last longer. If you can keep that deep desire alive you can typically get back into it. The question is whether or not your "coals" are still hot.

atmat

WKR
I took a 12 year hiatus.

I grew up hunting with my dad and brother super often — almost every weekend from Fall through Spring. When I was 13, my parents divorced and my dad moved across the country with all the hunting gear, and we had very little contact. So I had no gear, no car, no money, and no ability to even purchase a firearm. Between high school, college, grad school, and early marriage, getting back into hunting was just never a priority.

Then one day I thought, “you know what, I want to hunt again.” Picked up a cheap 110 and hit the woods. Fell back in love with it and have been hunting for over a decade again.

IW17

FNG
I stopped hunting for 4 years after I graduated high school. Picked it back up around 22. To be fair though, I spent those four years hunting for a two legged dear.

Macintosh

WKR
I quit hunting every february whether I want to or not.

Seriously, yes. Hunted as a kid, stopped when I went away to college and didnt hunt at all again until I was about 30—was just more preoccupied with other things. Picked it back up again about 20 years ago. It was actually my wife, who somehow got it into her head from a colleague that she just had to start turkey hunting, that got me back into it.

Mrjaycam

FNG
So I never really quit but took more of a hiatus. I joined the military and never really settled during my 8 years of active duty as roughly half of it was spent overseas. But whenever I could take leave during the winter I'd hunt with my uncle. Then after that I got caught up in corporate life etc. Long story short I got back into hunting when I started to ground myself again. Fitness and being outdoors make me happy and I had strayed from that. I've been back into it heavy for about 4 years and I'm feeling better than ever. It was about a 10-12 year hiatus so it's definitely possibly. Information is everywhere and it's easier than ever to just get out there now. Go for it if that's what makes you happy.

KenLee

WKR
Didn't hunt 2 seasons after I broke up both feet just before the first season.
Only other person who hunted the same properties was my brother who doesn't hunt much. Season #3, there was nice sized game in abundance 😀

JeffP_Or

WKR
I too moved away from hunting for a bit over a decade then came back. Part of it was I did not come from a hunting family and was fortunate enough to have neighbors who included me - until I went to school and then moved. Part of it was lack of access where I started.
I have come back to it and have increased my participation looking toward retirement in another decade or so. I did take a longer break from waterfowl but have come back to it; lack of access and poor experiences on local WMA's kept me away.

I hunted a bit as a kid with my dad. the trips fizzled out somewhere in high school for various reasons - parents divorce, money troubles, sports, girls, discovering beer. I started doing some upland hunting in my 30s and then bow hunting in my 40s. it has become one of my main forms of recreation.

they other thing I would offer, is the experiences of hunting as a full grown adult are very different. I am not just a kid tagging along with my dad anymore. i enter the woods with intention and with the perspective that comes with age. I appreciate how rich and powerful and rewarding hunting can be. I am aware that my time gliding through grasslands in Kansas, stalking a deer in the North East hardwoods or climbing a snowy mountain out west will end one day. So, I have to make the most of it, while I still can.

So, I say get back out there. You will remember why you liked it. What it meant to you. What it can give to you.

A lot of people are going to quit hunting.

Friken WY antelope have become a once or twice. Maybe 3 times in a lifetime hunt.

CO is going to all draw tags.

WY elk are now oil, and then random for the rest of your life.......if you have 4-5 points now.

less than 4 your forever random.

atmat

WKR
A lot of people are going to quit hunting.

Friken WY antelope have become a once or twice. Maybe 3 times in a lifetime hunt.

CO is going to all draw tags.

WY elk are now oil, and then random for the rest of your life.......if you have 4-5 points now.

less than 4 your forever random.
Um. Wut?

I came to it late. Didn’t start until I was almost 30. Then I hunted mule deer and elk every year for about 12 years. Also learned how to ride horses, break horses, and pack horses during that time. Really enjoying myself. Then I got divorced , started a rock band, and also spent a lot of time drinking partying and chasing two legged dears. During this time my son was away in the army. I found that the venison in my freezer was going bad from age, and I’m not the type to kill just for fun so I quit for awhile.

After about 8 years I got the hankering again, and did a solo trip in 2010 and went with a buddy the following year to help with his wifes cow tag. Hunting and fishing have taught me a lot about myself. When I’m in the mountains or the river I’m immersed in a Zen experience where I’m doing only what I’m doing and nothing else. Nights around the campfire promote conversation… sometimes profound, sometimes profane, but always deeply enjoyable. I didn’t like the solo hunting thing much because I realized the companionship was at least half of it for me. I’ll fish by myself but won’t take a fishing trip by myself. At this point I’m pretty sure I’ll keep pursuing it until my body won’t let me anymore. Then I will be heartbroken until I figure out how to deal with it. Probably just go along with my son and grandsons and be the camp cook.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
Havent hunted as much as I would like for the past 4-5 years.
Not much at all actually.
Life changes, family dynamics,.......ended up having to sell the
family farm where I hunted, which was also a great base camp
for hunting a nearby NF.
4 years of 24hr. care for my Mom who passed away back in May.
This really took a lot out of me.
My son doesnt really care to hunt, I'm getting older, 4.5 hr. drive
one way for public land & hotel.
Maybe some better opportunities/access will show up soon.

atmat

WKR
His post was not factually accurate, but the basic idea is spot on. If you don't understand that, you're in for a rude awakening.
Sure. But the post was asking about folks who have quit hunting and then gotten back into it — not about the current/future state of wildlife management.

Also, I didn’t understand what elk being “now oil” meant.

Scoot

WKR
Sure. But the post was asking about folks who have quit hunting and then gotten back into it — not about the current/future state of wildlife management.

Also, I didn’t understand what elk being “now oil” meant.
I think his response is about the "quit hunting" part of the OPs question (but not the real question). OIL (once in a lifetime; I'm guessing you knew the acronym) because it's going to draw for all units (most likely) and once you pull a tag there will be about 11 gajillion people with more points than you.

GIven your follow up question, I think you weren't asking what I thought you were asking. Might be best if you take my wife's lead and just ignore my responses... :unsure:

Took some time off once from it because I did it so much I hated it. Now I just hunt for me and am very selective of who and what hunts that aren't mine I go on with others.

Rich M

WKR
Stuff happens in life. My folks got sick and I didn't hunt with dad. Mom got sick a couple of times and we didn't hunt or fish. Some stuff takes precedence. It's okay not to go and to want to go later on.

It is up to you to get the license, hit the woods and scout, and then go hunting. No-one is gonna change your drive or desire.

I hunt with an 80 yo and an 82 yo - dad and buddy. The buddy has a solid drive and will go day in and day out. Dad will go on nice days. Whatever makes em tick. I hunt with both but if dad is gonna stay home, will stay with him.

Rich M

WKR
Havent hunted as much as I would like for the past 4-5 years.
Not much at all actually.
Life changes, family dynamics,.......ended up having to sell the
family farm where I hunted, which was also a great base camp
for hunting a nearby NF.
4 years of 24hr. care for my Mom who passed away back in May.
This really took a lot out of me.
My son doesnt really care to hunt, I'm getting older, 4.5 hr. drive
one way for public land & hotel.
Maybe some better opportunities/access will show up soon.
We lost mom this year too. Tough transition there. Wishing you the best.