Anyone pulling an enclosed trailer with a midsize V6?

I used to pull 45' reefer vans loaded to 80,000 pounds with a 290hp Cat engine engine, always the last one up the hill but always up the hill! My son bought a 42' fifth wheel and had a Toyota Tundra. Went out and bought an F-350 Ford to pull it. Didn't think his Toyota could do it. He has my enclosed trailer now and I used it to haul pellet stove pellets i with a Ford Explorer Sport pac. Pretty slow up the hille but always got up the hills. My old 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton I used to pull a two horse trailer with with tow horses in it, a quarter horse and and a morgan/Arib cross. 25O Chevy 6 cylinder in it. Always got up the hills. Also used the wife's 1983 Ford half ton with the horse trailer loaded, ford 300 6 cylinder. Again always got to the top of the hills. I have more time than I have money! If it was me I'd probably just pull the thing with the Chevy! Pulled RV's for a living just before retiring and not many guys use the /Dura max, seems to expensive to work on but, see a lot of them out there, well not really a lot. I used a 1990 Dodge with a Cummins and was never last up the hill, of course I was seldom first either!

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
As most of you know, driving a 3/4 around in the mountains is not a lot of fun. I use my 1500 as a daily driver and mountain rig. I haul my enclosed trailer a couple hundred miles to hunting camp then leave it. With the exception of a trip to another state every couple years, most of the use is a couple hours from home.
Sounds like I'd be better off keeping the 1500.

Unless the trailer you are pulling has really good brakes, Tacoma is no, don't do it. Even with the brakes you won't be in "high cotton". Smarter choice would be a bigger truck which you already have.

My buddy and I pulled the small enclosed trailer to Colorado from Pennsylvania with a Toyota tundra (the old body with small v8) one year and got if memory serves me right we got 6 1/2 miles to the gallon.

At one point, I thought for sure we had a fuel leak. It seemed like every hour we were stopping for fuel.

Not a fan of pulling box trailers with small engines. They create a ton of drag.

That sounds miserable.
Yod add weight to the vehicle and you lose gas mileage. My old Dodge I pulled RV's with got 9mpg pulling and 18mpg not pulling. Chipped it and went to 15mpg pulling and 23 mpg not. Happens with all vehicles!
Unless the trailer you are pulling has really good brakes, Tacoma is no, don't do it. Even with the brakes you won't be in "high cotton". Smarter choice would be a bigger truck which you already have.
Ya know what would be better than brakes? Learn to drive! American driver as a whole are terrible driver's. I say that from 30 some years as a over the road driver. I do not believe there is such a thing as an accident when two vehicles are involved, one of them had an opportunity to avoid the whole thing! If your pulling a trailer with no brakes, be aware of it and drive accordingly!

R65441

FNG
I pull a 5x10 single axle enclosed trailer with a 2000 tacoma v6. Loaded up with ~300lbs in the bed and ~800lbs in the trailer it does ok on flat road. Going up any decent incline I have to keep it in 4th at about 3500RPM to keep it at 60MPH. Not ideal but if you dont have to rush to get to where you are going it doable.

I have a 16’ Tacoma manual 6 spd and a 14’ enclosed trailer. It will do it. Trailer brakes are a must! With the weight of a side by side in it the go is slim to none. I think the 1/2 fords and dodges are better suited if your planning on towing a bunch or long ways. For me my Toyota can get my trailer into the woods but I wouldn’t take it more then a couple hour drive. I would endure the crappy ride of my diesel when I get there for a better towing experience down the interstate.

wavygravy

FNG
I pulled a trailer from Houston to El Paso in a V6 Nissan Frontier, mostly flat other than the hill country section... it suuucked. Stopping for gas every 150 miles because of the small tank and no wind control or speed. Was happy once I parked it because I loved that truck offroad out there, but yea trailering sucked with it.

I pulled 5000 pounds with a Honda pilot for years. Lugged a little on the hills but never an issue. If you're not climbing mountains you should be okay. That being said, channel your inner Tim Taylor

Ballsy

I didn't think Pilots were rated for more than 4K even with the tow package

OP

You're gonna dog that taco with a trailer that size.. Use the D-max thats what its made for. You'll get better mileage with it too

05 Tundra 4.7 and 7x14 dual axle v nose.
15 mpg empty.
7.5 mpg premium fuel w the od off to keep it from pinging. 65 mph.
20 gallons every 150 miles.

Across Idaho flats so not high or steep.
The truck handled it fine but I sold the trailer as it wasn't worth the extra cost of fuel to have a trailer along for me.

From a safety perspective, all you need is sufficient braking power of the tow vehicle. Most would say weight is the next most important criteria, but manufacturers will have already made sure to match your braking capacity with the vehicle’s loaded weight. So then, wheelbase is the next most important in my book. If you’re going to buy a lighter duty tow vehicle, buy it in the longest wheelbase that’s offered.

TheViking

WKR
I'd use your 2500 to pull that trailer. The Tacoma will suck pulling it. I have a Tundra 5.7 and it pulls most things great, but something like that size, I sure as hell wouldn't want anything less. The wind drag will kick your ass. And if you're in the mountains, you will be redlining the whole time. And as others mentioned - it's more about STOPPING it than getting it going. You can get yourself into a real bad situation fast if you're under braked. Either get a smaller trailer and use the Tacoma, or keep the trailer and use the 2500 to pull it.